Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Supercharger Pulley Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 AM
Shen456
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supercharger Pulley Upgrade?

Been looking at this for a cheap increase in power.

http://new.minimania.com/part/NME504...de-Kit-R52-R53

Will this reduce engine life any, some of the claims in the description of this part like a 20hp boost to the wheels seems kind of ridiculous... Also what is the difficulty of this install for a beginner?

Old 04-17-2015, 06:41 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
There are lots of threads on supercharger reduction pulleys, and it's probably the most common upgrade for an R53. Running a smaller pulley won't shorten the life of your engine, but it could impact the life of the SC itself as you're spinning it faster.

15% is considered a really safe size. Many (including myself) run a 17% reduction, which is fine too unless you track your car or spend lots of time at the redline. 19% spins the SC too fast, resulting in excessive heat production and reduced performance.

No matter which size pulley you get, make sure you get the proper belt (inc. in the package you linked too) and some colder spark plugs. Way Motor Works sells the whole kit on their website.

Most use a special tool to remove the pulley, which you can buy or maybe even rent. After watching my mechanic do the pulley on my car, I'd suggest you find a local independent MINI shop to do the work.

HTH, and Motor On!

Old 04-17-2015, 01:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
fridayxiii is right the pulley is the best bang for the buck for a supercharged MINI. We have a great kit with all that you need.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pulley-package.html

I wouldn't be concerned with engine or supercharger reliability. If either is going to fail they will fail with or without a pulley. And to say it shortens the life is also IMO a stretch as I've seen more failed superchargers in my shop with stock pulleys than I have aftermarket so it's more about the car itself.

With the MM 3 piece pulley it is a bit harder to install so that is why our pulley is just the standard 2pc design.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-23-2015, 07:39 PM
RogueMini
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
fridayxiii is right the pulley is the best bang for the buck for a supercharged MINI. We have a great kit with all that you need.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-pulley-package.html

I wouldn't be concerned with engine or supercharger reliability. If either is going to fail they will fail with or without a pulley. And to say it shortens the life is also IMO a stretch as I've seen more failed superchargers in my shop with stock pulleys than I have aftermarket so it's more about the car itself.
^^. What Way said. Maintenance is critical on MINIs, if you take care of it, it should last may miles, small pulley or not. (Except the crank pulley) lol

Yes, a pulley will get you 20ish hp, more if you get a tune. Its not like headers or a cai where the sellers claim a 10hp increase on your mom's monte carlo, and all it really does is makes more noise. You will be happy with the pulley; thats why we all do it.

Not too hard to install the pulley; lots of "how to" insturctions (pelicanprts.com, minicooperspeed.com). You do need the special puller to get the stock pulley off. The one Way sells works perfectly.

Last edited by RogueMini; 05-24-2015 at 06:39 AM.