Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain True HP Performance Mods?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:59 PM
OldDrummer55
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True HP Performance Mods?

I've owned two JCWs (05 & 06) and now will purchase a used S model. What is the best bang for the buck on HP improvement without significantly decreasing the MPG? Exhaust/injectors/pulleys/Chip-remapping comes to mind but what do you folks think? What true at the wheel HP gains can one achieve? Thanks...

Old 03-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
You'll feel the difference with the pulley and a good tune will go a long way. As for other mods, they are more about support, but everything counts.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:26 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
With the R53 being around so long mods for it have kinda become cookie cutter. Obviously the supercharger pulley is the best bang for the buck. Then intake and exhaust. After that you can tune it, or add on more mods depending on your goals at that point.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-22-2015, 10:12 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else said.......pulley 1st, then intake, then exhaust....those are the basics. After that, I think you are kind of throwing money away if it's just a daily driver car.

If you want to spend more money...you can go with a different cam, ported cylinder head, bigger injectors, and a new tune. You are talking thousands of dollars though when you starting doing that stuff........

Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
turbo conversion (not the way I am doing it though...)

Old 03-22-2015, 07:01 PM
ottawa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree with most of what was posted above. Intake and exhaust are horrid bang for you buck mods.

IMO redux pulley, header, cam, injectors and tune. These will net you far, FAR more than pulley, intake and exhaust. And in reality only be 500-600$ more if shopped right. In fact this combo will easily out perform any factory jcw r53 as well.

There are a few r53s that are in 240whp form with stock intake and exhaust and only a jcw pulley. ( do they have a bunch of other stuff done, yes! ) I do know of a used RMW shorty for sale and some other steals going on at the moment on another forum. Let me know if you wish to know... Just PM me.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:37 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally depends on what your goals are like others said. If power is all you are concerned with, do what ottawa said. But if its daily driver I'm not sure if I would get a header and cam. Most cams sacrifice some low end for top end gains and a header can make things pretty loud. Neither of which are great for commuting.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ottawa
I disagree with most of what was posted above. Intake and exhaust are horrid bang for you buck mods.

IMO redux pulley, header, cam, injectors and tune. These will net you far, FAR more than pulley, intake and exhaust. And in reality only be 500-600$ more if shopped right. In fact this combo will easily out perform any factory jcw r53 as well.

There are a few r53s that are in 240whp form with stock intake and exhaust and only a jcw pulley. ( do they have a bunch of other stuff done, yes! ) I do know of a used RMW shorty for sale and some other steals going on at the moment on another forum. Let me know if you wish to know... Just PM me.

Pulley ($100), intake ($200), exhaust($650) ...so around $950 depending on what you get.

For a new cam ($325), header ($500), injectors ($400), dyno time ($200), flash tool ($300), RMW tune ($350) .....so around $2,075 more....depending on what brands you go with. And that's if you do all the work yourself...who knows what a shop would charge for a cam swap and header install.

Not sure where you are coming up with only $500-$600 more for this stuff...unless you are buying a bunch of used junk.

For a daily driver....go with a pulley, intake, exhaust.

Last edited by IQRaceworks; 03-22-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:11 PM
ottawa
2nd Gear
OK. Sure thing champ.

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Pulley ($100), intake ($200), exhaust($650) ...so around $950 depending on what you get.

For a new cam ($325), header ($500), injectors ($400), dyno time ($200), flash tool ($300), RMW tune ($350) .....so around $2,075 more....depending on what brands you go with. And that's if you do all the work yourself...who knows what a shop would charge for a cam swap and header install.

Not sure where you are coming up with only $500-$600 more for this stuff...unless you are buying a bunch of used junk.

For a daily driver....go with a pulley, intake, exhaust.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:41 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Your basic mods of pulley, CAI, and a Tune will get you right around 200 WHP.. Maybe $550- $800 The JCW CAI is considered one of the best intakes their is which is why they aren't cheap when a used one pops up.. Good cam and header w/retune, about 215-220 WHP.. another $800-$1400 depending on parts/new/used etc...plus labor.. Toss on a good head/retune 240-260 WHP another $2400 or so

Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
For your money, a pulley is going to offer the most noticeable gain.

Having said that, stuffing 50% more air into your motor without allowing it to breathe better (intake, head, cam, exhaust) is not a great path. Yes, yes, I know: "people do it all the time", but that doesn't make it right.

Ever consider buying dedicated summer tires, better brakes or a rear stabilizer bar? The R53 really isn't a barn-burner in a straight line (even modded). Play off of it's strong points, and make her handle like a go-kart.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thebigchill
for your money, a pulley is going to offer the most noticeable gain.

Having said that, stuffing 50% more air into your motor without allowing it to breathe better (intake, head, cam, exhaust) is not a great path. Yes, yes, i know: "people do it all the time", but that doesn't make it right.

Ever consider buying dedicated summer tires, better brakes or a rear stabilizer bar? The r53 really isn't a barn-burner in a straight line (even modded). Play off of it's strong points, and make her handle like a go-kart.
+1

Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Yes... Good points. The mini isn't a hp demon.. .. And never will be. You can go out and spend a ton of money, get 250+hp out of your motor, and you will still get spanked by your average run of the mill LS camaro, gto, or vette....or any other number of cars.

You are better off to add some cheap power (pulley,cai,exhaust), and spend the rest of your money on handling mods.....

Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 AM
bADbOYbECK
1st Gear
Think about a Sprint Booster!

Not a horsepower gain but really does put the existing power to the tarmac! The top end is no different but bottom to mid is a big change. As a daily driver in the city and back roads is a lot of fun

Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bADbOYbECK
Think about a Sprint Booster!

Not a horsepower gain but really does put the existing power to the tarmac! The top end is no different but bottom to mid is a big change. As a daily driver in the city and back roads is a lot of fun
Except that so far, reliabilty seems to be an issue. The only real problem with the m45 is the pto side, other than that, you may never have to touch it.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Totoob
Neutral
Originally Posted by Da_Ghost
Except that so far, reliabilty seems to be an issue. The only real problem with the m45 is the pto side, other than that, you may never have to touch it.
He is probably not refering to the supercharger (M45 or optional Sprintex), but the Sprint Booster that you connect to the pedal assembly that changes/reduces the throttle pedal input delay, i just installed the D-spec1 version of the sprint booster and i can say that it makes driving the car much more enjoyable, crisp throttle response does a lot towards making the car feel snappier, even though you have not added any power at all, just changed the way it comes on.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Totoob
He is probably not refering to the supercharger (M45 or optional Sprintex), but the Sprint Booster that you connect to the pedal assembly that changes/reduces the throttle pedal input delay, i just installed the D-spec1 version of the sprint booster and i can say that it makes driving the car much more enjoyable, crisp throttle response does a lot towards making the car feel snappier, even though you have not added any power at all, just changed the way it comes on.
I completely misread that, I was probably tired. If he gets a tune, they can enhance the throttle response, so it would be a bit redundant to get a sprint booster, otherwise it's not a bad idea.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 AM
RVA_R53CooperS
Neutral
I'd agree with basic bolt on. 15%-17% pulley first, CAI(JCW or DDM), Exhaust (WMWStratos, or Milltek) and a tune.

This should land you in the 200WHP range. If you want the most street power go the 17% pulley.

Afterwards focus on suspension 22mm Rear Sway, TSW engine damper, Megan Race Coilovers, Bigger brakes ect.

All in all the cooper r53 is a track/corner car. If you bought it for straight line then you bought the wrong car.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Fizzyx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
For your money, a pulley is going to offer the most noticeable gain.

Having said that, stuffing 50% more air into your motor without allowing it to breathe better (intake, head, cam, exhaust) is not a great path. Yes, yes, I know: "people do it all the time", but that doesn't make it right.

Ever consider buying dedicated summer tires, better brakes or a rear stabilizer bar? The R53 really isn't a barn-burner in a straight line (even modded). Play off of it's strong points, and make her handle like a go-kart.
Or lightweight wheels. I would sooner reduce wheel weight over CAI and exhaust.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Sure. Lightweight wheels make an immediate and noticeable difference in handling and ride. A lightweight 16" wheel + quality traditional tire will transform the car more than most expect.

Though, any time you increase boost pressure on a forced induction car, you should strive to simultaneously relieve the motor of any breathing restrictions. A pulley is stupid to do without intake / exhaust.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Supercharger pulley is a great mod to do. Along side, what folks have already posted, an exhaust, and an intake.

Suspension would be definitely a great upgrade as well. When I did my build, non MINI car, I upgraded everything suspension wise before touching the motor with the larger mods (big turbo, built motor). We have a lot of great suspension upgrades here. One of the first things I did was the sway bar upgrade. I love Whiteline personally.

Best bang for your buck coilover option is ST coilovers. I like ST because of their pricing and they're manufactured by KW Automotive. Their expertise and know how ensures maximum quality and fantastic driving dynamics.

Good luck! Be sure to update us when you begin your mods!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Fizzyx
2nd Gear
Sure. Lightweight wheels make an immediate and noticeable difference in handling and ride. A lightweight 16" wheel + quality traditional tire will transform the car more than most expect.

Though, any time you increase boost pressure on a forced induction car, you should strive to simultaneously relieve the motor of any breathing restrictions. A pulley is stupid to do without intake / exhaust.
I have never heard of going for the best bang for the buck as stupid but I suppose there is a first for everything...

After a pulley, there are significant diminishing returns on horsepower per dollar invested. Agreed that if possible, flow through the rest of the engine should be improved. However, in addition to air box and cat back sections this also includes the header, the cylinder head, and arguably the camshaft (and then injectors and a tune.) Now you have gone from a $200 upgrade to what, $5k? Some folks may not have to resources or the inclination to 'do it right' and I would not question their rationale for it.

Last edited by Fizzyx; 06-16-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: grammar fail
Old 06-16-2015, 06:06 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
A pulley is stupid to do without intake / exhaust.
I disagree.
So much gain with a pulley (without intake/exhaust).
So little gain with intake/exhaust (with or without pulley).

Old 06-17-2015, 01:34 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with Cristo. A Pulley swap is what most do 1st for added power. Cat Back isn't going to help for too much, same as with a CAI. Sure doing all three will add the most HP but the pulley will add the most by itself by far.. Pulley alone maybe 15-20 HP, cat back less then 8, CAI less then 5...and maybe well less...( JCW Factory Air Box is considered the best out there which is why used ones go for 200+ ) With a good tune and all three you'd be right at 200 HP at the Hubs..

Old 06-17-2015, 05:37 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
stock exhaust and intake aren't super restrictive when it comes to the pulley, when you add a BVH and cam, they become choke points real fast. it is choked a little bit, and that's why the JCW has a more free flowing intake and exhaust at WOT

a exhaust manifold can also be had for just above the same price as pulley and spark plugs. this frees up more than a catback. the stock manifold definently doesn't flow that well. especially cylinders 1 and 4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain True HP Performance Mods?