Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Upgrades: opinions/help - injectors/pulley with tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM
amit
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2005 r53 with no engine upgrade. I heard about RMW at helix this coming April and booked myself a spot to get my car tune. My car is a daily drive with about an average of 150-250 miles per day. I plan on installing a 15% helix pulley and some injectors before the tune. What are some insights on the injectors? What would be the best size. And i notice that the JCW 380 injectors are generally more expensive than the 450 and 550. Why? Also, i heard i should change my coil pack (i read the stock coil pack is just as good as an upgrade) and wires and spark plugs - whats the best recommendation? I dont have any plans to change the the engine itself (at least not until i drive my car to the ground) - be it the head, or cam or whatever. My next upgrade would be an exhaust, maybe a cat back or a full system. Expert advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by amit; 03-01-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:40 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
If all your doing is going to the 15% pulley, you really don't "need" injectors, but if you decide to do them, since your not really planning on any big future upgrades just go with the 380's, this way if something should happen with your tune accidentally (dealer or someone accidentally doing a software upgrade) the car will still run fine, which also means you can install them anytime prior to the tune, the larger injectors REQUIRE a tune, the car will not run with these without it, so you must install them at the tune site.
A Coil Pack upgrade is not needed, even higher powered cars run perfectly on the OEM coil.
Wires will depend on the mileage on your car more than anything, again here, factory wires do a pretty good job, but plugs will be a must, just get them from Helix with your pulley and belt (they probably offer a kit like Way does) they'll set you up with the proper ones.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
You don't NEED injectors. But you will get more HP out of a tune with them at higher rpms...
JCW units cost more, cause they are OEM...very high quality, fit perfect, will run with factory programming...has the right "double cone spray" for good idle, power and mpg..
Aftermarket carries from redrilled junk to quality...fit from fine to crappy, and most need adaptors to plug in cause they use different connectors....spray pattern...some are OK, some crap...results in lower mpg, sometimes a lumpy idle from fuel hitting the wrong spot, and dripping, rather than getting atomized....
Do some research...
There are injectors that work fine...and inffy ones...
Reality is. Stock is OK to about 190-200 HP, JCW to 210-220hp....
So you are not loosing much since those numbers are upper end of a basic bolt on tune.....
The bigger injectors...not needed, but some could be scaled to work OK....

Old 03-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
as stated before for the pricing of the 380's. also if you get tuned, get the larger injectors other than that, the tune wont help too too much, most people see it as a very expensive upgrade at first per hp. once you start flowing a lot, injectors are a must, but a pulley inst going to out flow the stock injectors

Old 03-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Amit, there is a HUGE thread on the injector subject. I bought a set of JCW 380s used and had them installed. One of the three leaked so they pulled them out and reinstalled the original injectors. I paid around $350 for the JCW 380s. After that mess I re read that thread and ordered the Bosch Volvo T5 380 injectors and adapters. There was a lot of research from several NAM members and it was discovered that the Volvo T5 injectors have the exact specs and spray pattern that the JCW injectors have. I just ordered a set of the T5 injectors and adapters from ebay for a total cost of $138.00. These are plug and play according to everyone who has installed them. The only thing you MIGHT have to do is add a washer or two under the inter cooler to get it to clear the adapter and may not need to if you buy the adapter that is a pigtail instead of one piece adapter. I am using a mechanic that worked for MINI and decided to open his own shop. As a matter of fact he came highly recomended by several employees at MINI. He advises that just adding the 380s I will not need a tune. He is going to be replacing my supercharger because it is going out and when he does I'm going to a 17% pulley from a JCW pulley. That's when I will probably have him do a tune on it.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:01 PM
amit
2nd Gear
Thanks! I only decided to change the injectors since i was planning on doing a tune ( no point in really paying at that $$ when i'll only have a 15% reduction pullley). Now im rethinking this and just get the 380 JCW injectors and pulley (since this set up doesnt seem to need a tune. I'll save myself some money also)
Maybe later on i can do some major mods and then change injectors and do at tune.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since you drive LOTS OF MILES, I WOULD TUNE if you go to 380's...
It will pay for themselves in gas, and not melting a cat in a few years...
YOU CAN RUN unturned with the 380's...I did it for a few months with a 17%, arguable better at wot with a 17%....
But at WOT, you will be rich...loosing HP and mpgs, and cat life...
At light throttle inputs, OK, as the fuel trims will fix it there....
For $350+dyno time (think that is r53 tune costs) you will be able to break even in a few months....

Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM
amit
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Since you drive LOTS OF MILES, I WOULD TUNE if you go to 380's...
It will pay for themselves in gas, and not melting a cat in a few years...
YOU CAN RUN unturned with the 380's...I did it for a few months with a 17%, arguable better at wot with a 17%....
But at WOT, you will be rich...loosing HP and mpgs, and cat life...
At light throttle inputs, OK, as the fuel trims will fix it there....
For $350+dyno time (think that is r53 tune costs) you will be able to break even in a few months....
Thanks ZippyNH.
I think if i get a tune i might get bigger injectors. I still thinking about it though. But your advice will be noted

Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
JCW units cost that much because some guy a long time ago got $350 for them, so now everybody asks for $350, and people pay it. The cycle continues. Nothing about them is worth that much money. They are built with 15 year old technology inside, and are outdated at best. Other options exist.

Even the boys in the UK have caught on to the new options, and like some us here, are having great success.