Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CravenSpeed short shifter FAIL! Help!!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:55 AM
cb_smalls
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CravenSpeed short shifter FAIL! Help!!??

I just finished up the install of the cravenspeed short shifter for my 2011 MCS. I installed everything from the actual kit to the shift well cover and dust cover and I must say it looks spot on. I did run into an issue with the dreaded white clip that houses the shift ball ( I broke it..) but replaced it with an up rated piece that way sells. Here's my issues. I buttoned everything up ( actually installed my invidia exhaust at the same time ) took it for a test drive and everything felt great. Superb throws, awesome adjustability and just overall improved from stock. I parked for a while and when I got back in my car and clicked up through gears it seems as if I am locked out of 5th and 6th??? I can hit 1st through 4th no problem, but when i shift into 5th or 6th it takes me back to 3rd?. the only thing I can think of is the shift linkage being disconnected but I don't see how thats possible because 1st through 4th is ok. The shifter seems to have alot of play to the right when in neutral and when I shift to 5th or 6th seems to go way past. Any Ideas? its a nightmare trying to undo the dust cover from underneath and I really don't want to have to go under there again.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like you're going to have to dive back under the car. Something isn't right with the linkage.

I understand your woes, though - just installed the Helix SSK myself, I definitely don't want to have to do that again.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the height of the SSK to it's stock height instead of the lowest point? If it's hitting the base plate and you don't have the NM Eng. extended cover, it may be obstructing you from missing your gears.

But I could be entirely wrong as well.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 AM
cb_smalls
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Have you tried adjusting the height of the SSK to it's stock height instead of the lowest point? If it's hitting the base plate and you don't have the NM Eng. extended cover, it may be obstructing you from missing your gears.

But I could be entirely wrong as well.
Yes I have the Nm Cover and have tried adjusting it up and down. At this point The only thing I can think of is the shifter box assembly itself. Possibly the plastic piece the arm rests in was stressed during the installation or possibly the linkage cables having lack of play due to the solid bushings NM supplies with their new cover is the issue. Either way Im tearing everything back apart sunday

Old 12-13-2014, 11:42 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Yeah, that could definitely be the problem. You think you'll need a new assembly? I have mine in storage if you want to purchase it. I've had my CAE in for well over a year now.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:58 AM
cb_smalls
2nd Gear
Yeah, that could definitely be the problem. You think you'll need a new assembly? I have mine in storage if you want to purchase it. I've had my CAE in for well over a year now.
Im Looking for the entire shifter box if thats what your referring too. If you could tell me how to disconnect the cables from the box on the underside that would be great too.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:17 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
And yes, the whole box. Even has the stock arm in there still.

This helped a lot when it came to prying off the ball joints from linkage. and it also helped in wedging off the cables from the box. You just need to find something to put under it to give it leverage.

Amazon.com: Lisle 35260 Plastic Fastener Remover: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 35260 Plastic Fastener Remover: Automotive

Old 12-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I used an open-end box-wrench to pry off the cables from the ball joints. I was ready to throw in the towel when I finally figured out a way to remove them.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:54 PM
cb_smalls
2nd Gear
And yes, the whole box. Even has the stock arm in there still.

This helped a lot when it came to prying off the ball joints from linkage. and it also helped in wedging off the cables from the box. You just need to find something to put under it to give it leverage.

Amazon.com: Lisle 35260 Plastic Fastener Remover: Automotive
Thanks. Are you in Norcal or Socal? I saw the Picture in front of the golden gate. How much For the assembly Ill probably snag it depending on how it looks when I take the console back off.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:19 AM
cb_smalls
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
I used an open-end box-wrench to pry off the cables from the ball joints. I was ready to throw in the towel when I finally figured out a way to remove them.
I plan to use this and the other tool r2 had mentioned. Thanks for the quick input, ill post updates after I tackle it. Wish me luck

Old 12-18-2014, 04:54 AM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I used the NM Engineering short throw adapter and NM's extended cover on mine and couldn't be happier. NM makes some great products. I think snap-on makes a tool for removing the shifter cables that makes it really easy to get them off.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 PM
cb_smalls
2nd Gear
I know this by now irrelevant but Im going to make an effort to be more active on the forum. The issue ended up being in the plastic bushing with the three clips that everyone. It wasn't properly supporting the shift rod so every time I would shift to 5th it would pop out. I remedied it with a CNC aftermarket bushing from WAYMOTORWORKS. Unfortunately the aftermarket bushing is quite rough and does not offer stock feel. I have now ordered a brand new OEM shifter base from ECS so I can get a stock bushing.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cb_smalls
I know this by now irrelevant but Im going to make an effort to be more active on the forum. The issue ended up being in the plastic bushing with the three clips that everyone. It wasn't properly supporting the shift rod so every time I would shift to 5th it would pop out. I remedied it with a CNC aftermarket bushing from WAYMOTORWORKS. Unfortunately the aftermarket bushing is quite rough and does not offer stock feel. I have now ordered a brand new OEM shifter base from ECS so I can get a stock bushing.
Thanks for posting this. I finished my SSK installation last night and did a test drive around the block- everything seemed fine. On my drive to work this morning when I shifted into fifth I got third and sixth gave me fourth, so I had to return home and get the other car.

I also installed the CravenSpeed retainer clip - I'll check to see if it's popping out when I get home tonight. I was going crazy trying to figure this out....might not be my issue, but at least I can focus on work now!