Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain HP expectations with mild mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:36 AM
MiniSkoon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP expectations with mild mods

(I think I posted this is the wrong forum previously, sorry for the duplicate!) Hey all, new to the mini world. I have a '12 MCS (manual) I did a bunch of research and decided to start with a JB+ tune and a drop in K&N (NM torque insert and rear sway are next.) I'm just looking for some reliable power upgrades without voiding my warranty and spending a fortune. What kind of wheel HP can I expect from the JB+ with a drop in filter? The claim on their website seems high (20hp/30tq,) unless those figures are with race gas and other mods. Many of the dyno slips and info I see are from JCW cars or mini's with several mods included. I have easy access to 93 octane and I live at sea level in FL. I'm not really into suspension mods for now, as I will probably never go to a track and there are basically no twisties in FL. But very possibly down the line. For now, just looking for a bump in power. Is there any thing else that would net some decent gains without getting too expensive or voiding my warranty? Any experiences, sugguestions or input on any of the above would be appreciated!

Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniSkoon
(I think I posted this is the wrong forum previously, sorry for the duplicate!) Hey all, new to the mini world. I have a '12 MCS (manual) I did a bunch of research and decided to start with a JB+ tune and a drop in K&N (NM torque insert and rear sway are next.) I'm just looking for some reliable power upgrades without voiding my warranty and spending a fortune. What kind of wheel HP can I expect from the JB+ with a drop in filter? The claim on their website seems high (20hp/30tq,) unless those figures are with race gas and other mods. Many of the dyno slips and info I see are from JCW cars or mini's with several mods included. I have easy access to 93 octane and I live at sea level in FL. I'm not really into suspension mods for now, as I will probably never go to a track and there are basically no twisties in FL. But very possibly down the line. For now, just looking for a bump in power. Is there any thing else that would net some decent gains without getting too expensive or voiding my warranty? Any experiences, sugguestions or input on any of the above would be appreciated!
A JB+ and a tune is the only why to gain HP these days, bolt-ons do nothing unless you tune for those mods. Example, Manic offers tunes for people that remove the cats from the exhaust, this will void warranties. A JB+ is your only way to get noticeable HP & TQ, just remove the JB+ before taking it to the dealer.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:38 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
JB+ worked great for me.
BTW I sent you a PM

mQuebed Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-02-2014, 09:10 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
When you up your boost (Like what the JB+ does), you increase heat. It is a good idea to get an intercooler to fight the rising temperatures.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
A JB+ and a tune is the only why to gain HP these days, bolt-ons do nothing unless you tune for those mods. Example, Manic offers tunes for people that remove the cats from the exhaust, this will void warranties. A JB+ is your only way to get noticeable HP & TQ, just remove the JB+ before taking it to the dealer.
Bolt-ons surely do DO SOMETHING. I have a jcw. With no tune, just bolt ons I'm at 215 whp. Unless you coult the jcw tune, but nothing has been done to "tune" the ecu for the bolt-ons I have. My $0.02

Attached Thumbnails HP expectations with mild mods-image-3050466891.jpg  

Last edited by VanessaVELEZ; 12-05-2014 at 01:37 PM.