Drivetrain F56 - Exhaust Options

Old 01-31-2015, 02:02 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by R99
Its available now.
Is that in US as well as UK? I haven't been able to find anything about it being available in the US. Also curious if the JCW tune is available to go with it.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:28 PM
R99
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Speak to your local dealer.

As long as the parts team isn't ran by morons they should be able to help you out.

JCW exhaust is only available as part of the JCW Tuning kit - so yes the tune is out too.

Its all one package.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:30 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Great, I thought the exhaust and tune were all one package. Thanks for the confirmation. I've emailed my dealer and will hopefully have a response next week.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:18 PM
DAVIDLEERAD
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shmandrew
Great, I thought the exhaust and tune were all one package. Thanks for the confirmation. I've emailed my dealer and will hopefully have a response next week.
I've had the JCW tuning kit installed for 2 weeks now and I love it! If you go to YouTube and search "2015 JCW Tuning Kit" you'll see my video.
Cheers!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 PM
shmandrew
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DAVIDLEERAD
I've had the JCW tuning kit installed for 2 weeks now and I love it! If you go to YouTube and search "2015 JCW Tuning Kit" you'll see my video.
Cheers!
Sounds great! Did you get everything installed through your dealer?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:17 PM
DAVIDLEERAD
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by shmandrew
Sounds great! Did you get everything installed through your dealer?
Yeah, $400 labor for everything.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 PM
nicktsigos
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed the Remus exhaust in the US? Curious how you hooked up the electrical if you don't have the 12v in the boot?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
mine has a 12v in the boot...

Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 PM
nicktsigos
1st Gear
Do you have any packages that would have included it? I know this sounds stupid that I'm asking I just can't look as my car has been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks having the transmission replaced at 1300 miles. it should be atleast another week before I get it back, I was thinking about ordering the exhaust so it can be shipped while the car is out of my possession

Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Interesting thread in the Cooper mods forum. One person simply removed the muffler and welded a straight pipe in its place and he says it sounds excellent. Cost about $100. He says he got the idea from the Fiat Abarth which has no muffler and sounds great too. Says turbos are generally pretty quiet. Like I said there my friends F56 MCS was a little too quiet for my tastes, and I'm not a big exhaust guy by any means. Mine seems fine.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Interesting thread in the Cooper mods forum. One person simply removed the muffler and welded a straight pipe in its place and he says it sounds excellent. Cost about $100. He says he got the idea from the Fiat Abarth which has no muffler and sounds great too. Says turbos are generally pretty quiet. Like I said there my friends F56 MCS was a little too quiet for my tastes, and I'm not a big exhaust guy by any means. Mine seems fine.
Pretty common actually. Do a YouTube search for f56 muffler delete. One guy just dropped the muffler while the second dropped both muffler and resonator. It's certainly a more affordable solution. My muffler guy is charging me $45 (NYC) for the cut/weld but I'm bringing my own tips. If I used his tips it would have been $70. I purchased these and will take before and after pictures :
Flowmaster (15391) 4.00" Polished Stainless Steel Dual Angle Cut Exhaust Tip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BARKVS8..._0hU2ub0AQ6FW6

Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Exhaust tips arrived today. Didnt' have time to get the cut done (was with the baby all day). but here are some pics of the tips for those interested. Our stock exhaust tips are slightly over 3". These are 4" Tips

Next to a corona bottle for size reference:

Quick shot underneath stock tips:

i went with my gut that these 4" tips will fill out the space nicely. i'm on the edge. think they may be too big...but we'll see.

Last edited by MarcoPolo; 02-11-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
j5ktt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
Exhaust tips arrived today. Didnt' have time to get the cut done (was with the baby all day). but here are some pics of the tips for those interested. Our stock exhaust tips are slightly over 3". These are 4" Tips

i went with my gut that these 4" tips will fill out the space nicely. i'm on the edge. think they may be too big...but we'll see.

Looking forward to seeing the finished result as I really don't like the stock exhaust tips, but at the same time don't really want to spend $1k plus on a new one.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:10 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by j5ktt
Looking forward to seeing the finished result as I really don't like the stock exhaust tips, but at the same time don't really want to spend $1k plus on a new one.
looks nicer than i imagined. will take a bit to get used to, but doesn't stand out as i thought in my head:

and a very quick "noone's home and i just have my phone" video..

Old 02-12-2015, 01:03 PM
j5ktt
2nd Gear
I like that - much more purposeful than the original tips - can I ask where you had it installed - I'm also in NYC. thx, james

Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I like that - much more purposeful than the original tips - can I ask where you had it installed - I'm also in NYC. thx, james
SHAH Muffler by the citifield junkyards. he's a pretty popular guy in the forum world. did a bunch of work on a few maximas, my buddys jeep cherokee, and obviously now the Mini. $45 for the job and i supplied my own tips. $75 had i used the tips he had in stock.

there's also KING Muffler off roosevelt ave. small shack but the online reviews say he's also very good/affordable. i chose SHAH only because i've used him in the past quite often.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:17 PM
j5ktt
2nd Gear
SHAH Muffler by the citifield junkyards. he's a pretty popular guy in the forum world. did a bunch of work on a few maximas, my buddys jeep cherokee, and obviously now the Mini. $45 for the job and i supplied my own tips. $75 had i used the tips he had in stock.

there's also KING Muffler off roosevelt ave. small shack but the online reviews say he's also very good/affordable. i chose SHAH only because i've used him in the past quite often.
Cool - thanks for the info. I'm in Astoria so it's just down the road. Might pop in as I need to go that way to get my wheels aligned after installing my Eibach springs. Now I just need to find some tips in black that I like...

Old 02-12-2015, 01:20 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Cool - thanks for the info. I'm in Astoria so it's just down the road. Might pop in as I need to go that way to get my wheels aligned after installing my Eibach springs. Now I just need to find some tips in black that I like...
IMO, you don't need the alignment for a spring install. coilovers yes, springs no. going to 106th street tire for the alignment? they're the best as far i've been told. pretty good group of guys there.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
j5ktt
2nd Gear
IMO, you don't need the alignment for a spring install. coilovers yes, springs no. going to 106th street tire for the alignment? they're the best as far i've been told. pretty good group of guys there.
The alignment is really just peace of mind - as I've also driven over/through/into some massive potholes so want to check it's all still in a straight line. 106th street and Auburndale Tires were on my shortlist as I believe both use Hunter equipment for alignment checks.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:27 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I can confirm that the F56 S sounds great with one or even both silencers removed, it's not too loud or drony inside, but it can be a bit extreme on full throttle (police etc...) with the full straight pipe.
Aside from custom solutions, there are some plug&play solutions:

Supersprint 831812 + 831814 + 831826,

Old 02-18-2015, 01:55 AM
nicktsigos
1st Gear
Is there a mid pipe with the JCW kit? I know with the Remus you can order a racing tube but can't really tell if the JCW will go axel back or cat back

Old 02-18-2015, 04:17 AM
R99
4th Gear
Why is the hell is the SuperSprint valved system is so expensive compared to the Remus?

Here is a comparison for an equivalent CAT BACK system from each of the two manufacturers......

SuperSprint:

Unsilenced front pipe - 124.44 EUR
Rear silencer - 1306.62 EUR
Matt black 100mm tips - 522.16 EUR
QTP Valve - $179 / 157.40 EUR
QTP Remote - $85 / 74.74 EUR

Total - 2185.36 EUR

VS

Remus:

Rear silencer (includes valve & remote) - 792 EUR
Carbon Fibre / Titanium tail pipes (102mm) - 444 EUR
Racing Tube (unsilenced front pipe) - 180 EUR

Total - 1416 EUR

So the SuperSprint is 769 EUR more expensive than the Remus and doesn't even come with carbon tips! I just don't understand their pricing!!!!!

Surely they will sell next to none of these at this price! :(

This is even before you consider one of their downpipes (either catted or de-cat) which admittedly Remus are not able to offer, but the price for a CATBACK system is eye watering!!!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
There are some differences in the design and construction.

I copy paste from the Supersprint website.
Between the parenthesis my comment.

1) Optimal performance in both operative modes, tested on our in-house dynamometer.
The diameter of the piping is Ø65, for the straight pipe "loud mode" and also for the "quiet mode", with the gas passing through a direct flow muffler
(I believe both the JCW and the Remus in closed mode has a smaller, restricted pipe, maybe with a chamber type silencer. If you go for a tune with 240+ hp the small pipe may cause some flow issues)

2) Highest sound differential between the two modes
(I watched the videos. The JCW sounds a bit tinny honestly, and I need to hear it with the front silencer removed. The Remus sounds less agressive in open mode and a bit drony, and it has some metallic sounds in closed mode.)

3) Gas comes out from both tips, in both modes.
(both the JCW and the Remus doesn't have this, you can clearly see the valve body and flap inside the tip from behind the car)

4) No drone and highest comfort inside the cabin, even when fitted with the front pipe and downpipe
(I haven't heard the Remus inside, but from the outside it sounds drony)

5) Tailpipes customization
(well skip this as the Remus has carbon or normal tips as well, while the SS choices is larger with black, chrome and satin finishes, and lipped or not lipped design.
By the way, if you know the Remus, JCW or other brand inlet diameter, I believe Supersprint can adjust the outlet diameter so you can use them on their system)

6) Electrical valve with wireless control that doesn't require complex fitment of pneumatic piping, just to get electrical feed in the boot. Installation instructions provided with the system.
(I'm not sure how the fitting procedure is for the Remus system. The JCW is electric so I guess it's fairly simple)

I can add that the manufacturing is different, with the SS you get a completely welded silencer body, while the JCW and Remus has pressed silencer lips.
Is the Remus stainless steel?
Is the JCW?

Anyway, yes the Supersprint is more expensive, but they do give some discount. As you live in the UK you should contact Evolve which is the exclusive dealer and ask for a quote.
I believe they can provide the QTP valve themselves as they use them on their M3 and M5 Valvetronic systems.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:18 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
The Remus utilize a 69mm piping. I know that as a fact, so if SS uses 65mm that is even smaller.

I really wanted the Supersprint system but at the price of what almost 4k USD for a turboback.

PS: Regards to the SS system, is the muffler a 1 piece design after the mid pipe? Or 2 piece like from this picture?
http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod_z-g-8973.aspx
or
http://www.supersprint.com/en/prod_z-g-8974.aspx (1 PIECE?)

Last edited by fenderpicks; 02-18-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
It's two pieces. The picture with the green "gas flow" is of a earlier prototype.
Remus claims 69mm for the main pipe, but if you check the picture it's clear than in closed mode, when it discharges from just the left tip, the diameter is much smaller:

Also, with such a small silencer I bet the silenced route is not direct flow, there has got to be some chambers inside that box, otherwise it won't silence much, compared to the JCW and Supersprint which have a transversally mounted silencer with a 180° bend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain F56 - Exhaust Options