Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Tune in MD or Virginia?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:26 PM
vicj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manic Tune in MD or Virginia?

Anyone with an S or JCW have the Manic tune in the Maryland or Virginia area? I'm new to tuning, and trying to decide between Manic, Burger, Revolution, or NM for my JCW. Opinions? Comments?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in utah and just had my manic tune done by eurotech in arizona. I had the burger jb+, and the manic is where it's at hands down. Manic is the top dog in mini tuning right now, and they earned my business.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 PM
vicj
3rd Gear
yeah, I read a LOT of posts where every tune that somebody bought is THE BEST. I guess what I'm asking is...why? What makes it "Hands down" better?

how does Manic's "switch" work? Is it something that has to be kept plugged into the OBD connector at all times?

Old 10-29-2014, 05:23 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The switch does not need to be plugged in all the time. It is just plugged in to switch between the 3 Manic maps.

If it is not the "best" it is the coolest with the switchable maps you can have 3 power levels at a moments notice.

The AP does has different stages but they cannot be done on the fly as with the Manic Maps.

Since you have a 2011 JCW Burger is not an option since you would still have an N14 engine.

Research is key no matter who you go with.. Look for actual data like dyno numbers with graphs that support those numbers. There are lots of numbers floating around with terribly power curves so they hide the actual sheets.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
yes. I see all sorts of claims, some more dubious than others. I'm inclined to "Trust" NM, but like the convenience of being able to switch back with the Manic. I've tried contacting Jan about the revolution tune, as there's nothing about JCW on his sparse website, but getting hold of him seems impossible.

Thus, full circle, back to my original post. Was hoping to find someone with the Manic tune locally, so I could feel it for myself.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:39 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
does anyone have the NM?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
One of our customers GP2's had NM stage 2 added 20whp but no torque if i recall correctly. He's manic tuned now. I might have the dyno sheet laying around somewhere .. N18 instead of N14 like your car but same turbo etc..

Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Found his NM file ! you can see the torque curve and number difference between stage 2 nm and stage 2 manic. PDF file is nm tune other is manic . same type of dyno but different shop so different print out. also NM tune was done on a very nice day.. Manic was done in summer out here

Attached Thumbnails Manic Tune in MD or Virginia?-temp.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
122913 GP2 NM (1).pdf (27.8 KB, 146 views)
Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
OK... Thank you. Looks like I'll go with the manic tune. Drive Down to Virginia as soon as tomorrow.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 AM
SlingsDogs
1st Gear
If you are in the DC area Sunday the 9th, hit up Minis Take The Beltway. Fun time that double as a fundraiser for one of the wounded warrior charities. They are raffling off a Manic tune as well as a $100 off a new tune from Manic at the end lunch.

Who knows you might get lucky, boom free tune!

And be sure to let us know what you think of the tune, I am running a Cobb AP now but I want something a little more custom.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
Had the Manic tune installed last Friday, at Mini Dynamics in Centerville VA. I got Stage one Plus. All I can say is...wow. about four more pounds of boost conservatively, definite "Butt-Dyno" difference in a big way, and no change in every day drivability at all. I could not be more pleased. If you're thinking of getting this at this Sunday's event, I can highly recommend the Tune.

Last edited by vicj; 11-04-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling like a turd
Old 11-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by vicj
Had the Manic tune installed last Friday, at Mini Dynamics in Centerville VA. I got Stage one Plus. All I can say is...wow. about four more pounds of boost conservatively, definite "Butt-Dyno" difference in a big way, and no change in every day drivability at all. I could not be more pleased. If you're thinking of getting this at this Sunday's event, I can highly recommend the Tune.
I'm guessing the 2011 JCW uses the N14 engine, what are you operating temperatures? Reason I ask is because Manic can make it to where our N14's run somewhere around 190F instead of 226F which is really important when running more boost = more heat.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Stage 1 tunes do not have cooling temp modifications. There was some miss-information being spread on NAM in attempt to sell tunes by a particular dealer. Stage 2+ and stage 3 cars are typically modified if done after a certain date. It was a new thing around May 14 that Nick started doing but not every tune has it.

I am sure you could request stage 1 with cooling temp modification but it is not standard.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EuroTechsAZ
Stage 1 tunes do not have cooling temp modifications. There was some miss-information being spread on NAM in attempt to sell tunes by a particular dealer. Stage 2+ and stage 3 cars are typically modified if done after a certain date. It was a new thing around May 14 that Nick started doing but not every tune has it.

I am sure you could request stage 1 with cooling temp modification but it is not standard.
I would pay more for the extra cooling temp modification on a Stage 1+ tune, that together with a W/M injection would be ideal to keeping those stock pistons cooler. Thank you for the heads-up.