Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain High Performance Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Performance Fuel Pump

I'm thinking of picking one up.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 11-01-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: link removed.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
never heard of an r53 needing a upgraded fuel pump, this is interesting, but i cannot see the comparison graph

Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Seen some swap their stock w/ Walbro 1s w/ higher pressure rating. Won't have any effect, though, as the pressure regulator will keep it w/in OE limits.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:08 PM
AudioNToxication
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the upgrade pump is for the higher horsepower cars to give more safety cushion as to not run the pump out of flow and cause fuel starvation.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Yroc
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't waste your money on the DW fuel pump. They are relatively low flowing pumps (265lph) and are expensive (mostly because they cater to the VW crowd) If you are taking the time to swap pumps I HIGHLY recommend the AEM 50-1200. It is a 340lph pump but will regularly produce 390lph after breakin. They are cheaper and have an awesome track record. I am in no way affiliated with them, I used to work for fore innovations designing fuel pump assemblies and components and have personally tested more fuel pumps than most installers will ever see in their lives. Just want to share some knowledge with my MINI brethren. Also If you needed a higher output pump you would know it. This will do nothing for you as minsanity pointed out, the intank fuel regulator will maintain a constant pressure and will just dump the added fuel back into the tank. Neither of these pumps are going to be a direct drop in affair and I would never suggest messing with the factory assembly unless it was necessary as there are more things to go wrong than right if you know what I mean.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 PM
wellzy
4th Gear
Perfect example of someone not understanding flow Vs. Pressure but sure.
265LPH will support 500 hp silently and i have yet to see anyone running that kind of power regularly.
Will the AEM fit directly into the factory enclosure and not fuel starve in corners? thats the real question.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Yroc
Neutral
Not sure why you think im confused about pressure vs. flow. Though I haven't put eyes on it I would be willing to bet that the FPR in the filter assembly is a 38psi Bosch unit. Seeing as the fuel pressure is static in the mini and does not refference manifold pressure the pump flow ratings (given at 40psi) are actually a hair lower than what you would see in the actual car. There is no direct correlation between horsepower capacity and flow capacity, however 500whp with 265lph in a forced induction road going application is unlikely. I do however agree that very few MINIs will ever need anything bigger then the DW65. My opinion is that of cost to performance comparison. Both the DW and the AEM are single stage vane style pumps and will be near silent, both are E85 rated, and both draw low enough amps to be driven off the factory FPDM. Only real difference I've ever noticed between the two is the DW is twice the cost and flows less (at any given psi). As far as fuel starvation goes, any of these pumps sit inside the factory basket which is filled by a check valve on the bottom and a crossover tube coming from the venturi pump
(20lph) housed in the filter/regulator assembly in the passenger side saddle. The biggest concern anyone should have with swapping these pumps is clamping the factory nylon tube to the outlet of the pump well enough to hold 38psi of pressure. Alternatively you could use the supplied "submersable" hose thats supplied in the kit but be warned that it will deteriate eventially.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yroc:
jeromenclature (09-17-2019), MonzMini (04-06-2020)
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wellzy looks like you just got served!

The following users liked this post:
MonzMini (04-06-2020)
Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 AM
wellzy
4th Gear
because pressure in this case is sort of a moot argument.
if the fuel pump as in the OEM part cannot keep up with the flow the pressure will degrade period, no way around that. So to avoid that you put a pump in thats a higher capacity of FLOW. To maintain the pressure.
And I also find it funny that you are telling me while you have never seen the factory pick up and enclosure that the AEM will not fuel starve. Sure it might be cheaper and flow more but whats the point if it fuel starves in corners.
I get you have a vendetta against paying actual money for something proven to work.
The real point is here that its a drop in kit ready to go for "everyone" who is got bigger injectors or will be using significantly more fuel than stock.
Your pump does you no good what so ever if it cannot stay submerged.
Having been down that road before i know the reality of the problem first hand.
The hose in the kit is shown to be a factory style flex hose. Seems good to me.
besides, outside of wanting one for myself I was just trying to tell others about it, no need to be a combative poster you know.
and ScrubbySnacks I am just going to ignore your childish comment.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Subscribed...
Why for? Do they offer one with a rusty finish?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:12 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yroc
Also If you needed a higher output pump you would know it.
And there is the rub. By the time you "know it", at least on the track, it's too late.

The following users liked this post:
MonzMini (04-06-2020)
Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Yroc
Neutral
After finding some better images of the v series dw65 pump it would seem that they have copied the factory prefilter pickup, so it will fit into the housing simular to the factory unit unlike the AEM. This is the first that I have seen to do this. With any othe DW, walbro, AEM, aeromotive, etc. etc. piece you would have to shoe horn in the prefilter sock into the basket. Depending on your level of handyness the DW pump may be a better solution. As for the corogated piece, most people (on other automotive platforms) reuse the factory piece by popping the clamp off at the pump and reclamping it to the new pump. One way or the other you are relying on that connection to hold pressure. As far as pressure 38psi was a typo, what I should have said was 58psi.

If you have a car highly enough modified to cause pressure drop from the factory pump, I would hope that you have both tuned your car (meaning AFR's have been data logged) and that you are actively monitoring your AFR's, preferably with alarms enabled. If you melted your engine on the track because of an undersized pump thats just neglegence on your part and your tuners. I guess I should have said if you need a higher output pump you SHOULD know it.

I am still of the opinion that unless you NEED a bigger pump to leave the factory basket alone.

Last edited by Yroc; 10-24-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:50 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yroc

If you have a car highly enough modified to cause pressure drop from the factory pump, I would hope that you have both tuned your car (meaning AFR's have been data logged) and that you are actively monitoring your AFR's, preferably with alarms enabled. If you melted your engine on the track because of an undersized pump thats just neglegence on your part and your tuners. I guess I should have said if you need a higher output pump you SHOULD know it.
Tuning the car on a dyno isn't going to prevent fuel starvation on a 1g+ left hand sweeper...Ask the Lotus guys. Data logging on the track would be ideal, but it's not feasible for many, and even then the problem is it only takes ONE instance of fuel starvation to blow the engine. Most of us feel comfortable with a bit of overkill for things like fuel/oil starvation.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Yroc
Neutral
cct1 I believe you missunderstood my point.
I was not speaking of fuel moving away from the pump but rather pressure drop due to fuel consumption beyond what the factory pump can maintain.

Fuel starvation due to g's is a mute point as adding any aftermarket fuel pump to the factory basket will not increase the fuel holding capacity of the basket itself. So if your goal is to combat fuel starvation due to g forces you are going about it the wrong way trying to swap in a larger pump.

The lotus guys (as well as others) rely on an externaly mounted surge tank to combat fuel starvation. This is a relatively complicated thing to set up and would be far from a direct drop in affair for our MINIs. If its a track car you would be better off geting rid of your level sending units in place of capacitive ones and filling your tank with fuel foam cubes.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 PM
cct1
6th Gear
True that, but it's all part of the same equation. Add into it we're running larger injectors, in some cases much larger injectors, and the stock fuel pump becomes a relatively weaker link.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:39 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wellzy
Perfect example of someone not understanding flow Vs. Pressure but sure.
265LPH will support 500 hp silently and i have yet to see anyone running that kind of power regularly.
Will the AEM fit directly into the factory enclosure and not fuel starve in corners? thats the real question.
This guy gets it. ^