Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New Exhaust Manifold/Cat Bounces Off Sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 PM
ConKali
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Exhaust Manifold/Cat Bounces Off Sway Bar?

Hey guys! So I have been a on and off lurker for a year or so since I bought my 06 S model Hatch, but recently have had a problem that seems to be pretty unique (haven't found anything through the search function, or even my google searches, and magnaflow has no idea whats going on hahaha)

Quick back story on the Mini. I have had the car for a year or so, and It has been my daily commuter all over Northern California for my work (construction industry) I bought it from a guy in Berkeley when it had about 140k miles on the clock. (160k now)

The mileage was a bit high, but the car was garage kept, body was in immaculate condition, and the owner had some serious OCD (He pointed out the only tiny dent on the car about 100 times, and actually scrubbed the headlights with a rag before he let me leave on a test drive hahaha), plus he had every bit of service (done regularly) documented in a nice little folder, so I decided to go for it.

Car has ran great ever since, especially after I dumped the run flats for summer tires

That is until last week when my Pre-Cat split along the lower weld

I did some research and bought myself a Carb legal Header/Catalytic converter assembly from Magnaflow and swapped em out. The process went pretty smooth, no real headaches or busted knuckles but when I put the car back on the ground and took it for a test drive I could hear a lot of banging/rattling coming from the engine bay.

Upon inspection, the pre-cat (which I DID notice that the diameter of the pre-cat was much larger than the stock one) was resting on the sway bar, which I am sure was the source of the noise.

I called Magnaflow and they confirmed that the part number was correct, and that it was made for my car. They also are saying they have never heard of the problem before, so I am assuming something on my car is causing it.

My thought is that maybe my motor mounts or something are trashed and sagging, causing the motor (and by extension the exhaust) to sit lower than usual, which is causing the problem.

I just wanted to throw this up here and see if any other Mini guys out there have any other suggestions! I will check this thread before I jack the Mini up tonight, so feel free to let me know what to look for or any questions or whatever.

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I am pretty sure the problem lies with Magnaflow...Take it to one of their authorized installers.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:52 PM
blacklistedmini
1st Gear
Same issues

I too am having the same issues, its not the manifold or part, its the sway bar being to fat when magna flow designed it to fit the stock. I'm assuming you have an aftermarket sway bar? But anyways do you still run it?? Mine blew up at the flex pipe and supposedly they are under re development. So for me its basically "you're screwed because we screwed up" kinda deal from magna flow. on the look out for a stock manifold, stupid thing isn't worth the hassle or rattling anymore.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:50 PM
2seven
2nd Gear
I had the same issue with my pre-cat and had it welded as a temporary fix. The price point for the Magnaflow replacement is a bit better than OEM and I thought about the purchase; however, I too live in the Bay Area and questioned whether this product would pass emissions in California. The web sites offering this product specifically exclude California due to stricter emissions requirements. Have you had an issue getting you vehicle registered?

As for your issue, if the Magnaflow manifold is longer in length than the OEM, the pipes will have a broader distance to travel as the engine rocks upon acceleration, which will increase the potential to bang against other parts.