Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best bang for 200$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Ianr53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best bang for 200$ ?

Hello to all!

So I've owned my R53 for a few months now and I've obtained all of the pieces to do my alta supercharger pulley in the coming weekend. My question from those who have gone down the path of modifying your MCS, what is the next best upgrade to accompany the higher boost levels?

One of my vendors just gave me a 200$ Amazon gc so I am considering it as free money and throwing it towards a modification, but first I want to hear what people suggest. Intake maybe?

-Ian

Last edited by Ianr53; 08-01-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Need to L2spell
Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
The pulley is definitely the best bang for your bucks when it comes to the engine. The intake won't give you much hp, but it does increase the s/c whine sound, which is enjoyable for most people.

My next pick if you have a stock suspension would be a rear swaybar. It improves the stifness of the back and make the car even better at cornering.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
The responsible but boring answer: 1) Aggressive brake pads & ATE Blue fluid. OR 2) A full "Stage 0" tune-up (plugs, wires, coolant, oil, gear oil, etc).

The answer you want: An intake, or a basic Universal Methanol / Water Injection system.

People will dispute the methanol injection as a starter mod, but when you raise boost levels and begin driving more aggressively, engine temps increase, EGT temps increase, and the potential for pinging or detonation increases. Methanol prevents all of these, and allows you to maintain power and safety while driving aggressively. No offense, but too often people on this forum (and others) love to just stuff more boost into an engine, then move on. You need to consider "supporting mods" when raising boost. In other words, modifications that not only help make power, but also help to alleviate the stress on the engine that is created by increasing boost, EG: (intake, cam, header, exhaust).

Last edited by TheBigChill; 08-01-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Ianr53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
The responsible but boring answer: 1) Aggressive brake pads & ATE Blue fluid. OR 2) A full "Stage 0" tune-up (plugs, wires, coolant, oil, gear oil, etc).

The answer you want: An intake, or a basic Universal Methanol / Water Injection system.

People will dispute the methanol injection as a starter mod, but when you raise boost levels and begin driving more aggressively, engine temps increase, EGT temps increase, and the potential for pinging or detonation increases. Methanol prevents all of these, and allows you to maintain power and safety while driving aggressively. No offense, but too often people on this forum (and others) love to just stuff more boost into an engine, then move on. You need to consider "supporting mods" when raising boost. In other words, modifications that not only help make power, but also help to alleviate the stress on the engine that is created by increasing boost, EG: (intake, cam, header, exhaust).
Do i want more power, yes.
Am i cognizant of the fact that the car still needs to stop, yup.

As of right now most of my driving is long straight's with limited traffic. If i do plan to do a track day or auto-x i will most definitely add more stopping power/cornering. But for now, a little kick in the *** is exactly what i am looking for. I just don't have much justification to ditch brand new pad's/rotors that the dealer installed prior to my purchase of the vehicle.

Beyond the power adder my plan is to throw on some new All season UHP tires as the current Eagle F1's are down to 4/32nds which is roughly 40% tread life. Around Washington's rainy season, i would be nervous to drive the car hard without ample grip.

-Ian

Last edited by Ianr53; 08-01-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
an intake is preety awsome, cause then the supercharger sings you into adrenalline and makes you want more, performace from this? close to nothing, but you do get a washable filter!

for 200$ you can get a new rear sway bar, a k&N drop in panel filter and a hole saw and cut out the backside of the air box, plus removng some fire wall.... but thats free =)

Old 08-01-2014, 11:47 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Rear sway bar.....
BUT if $$ is tight....
You could spend the $$ on brake parts....save yourself some $$ in the future...
But be VERY CAREFUL buying car parts on Amazon....
The will it fit feature does not work with mini's....
They do not have the different models setup right, and differences in JCW vs regular parts...
So get the part number for ANYTHING YOU BUY on a 2nd site....and make sure amazon matches.....
Intake WILL make you smile...the whine is Great¡!!!!!!¡¡!!!!!!!!!! But gain is nearly zero....

Old 08-01-2014, 12:36 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd get a supercharger pulley kit or a rear sway. I don't have the rear sway bar yet but I think about it every night before I sleep because everyone raves about it. Guess it depends on your priority, handling or speed?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 PM
ranczar
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pulley (and belt and plugs) is a great start. Enabling the motor to breath better is fundamental to better performance. With that in mind, a more open air intake and exhaust system will help. That equates to a CAI and some changes to the exhaust system. The 'one-ball' mod is usually had for under $80; it's the removal of one of the exhaust cans and is sometimes referred to as a poor man's cat-back. The exhaust manifold can be replaced with a header, but this is a pricy-er proposition. Getting a good one isn't that easy, and, it's a little more involved if you're doing the work yourself.

After the breathing exercises, improving the suspension is the way to go, and you've already read about the rear sway bar. If you're in an R53, don't worry about a strut tower brace, but if your in a cabrio (R52), then get one. But don't do it until you get an under body brace (I like the TSW X-Brace myself). This definitely helps stiffen the car, R52 or 53, just a lot more noticeable in the 52.

As for brakes, I think initial improvements can be made with better (than OEM) pads, adding stainless steel brake lines, and a fluid change (but I don't think you're going to find the Ate Super Blue, as it's no longer being brought into the USA - I'm using the amber colored Ate stuff). Next would be installing R56 front calipers, but like the header, more work.

That should be enough to get you started! There are lots of how-to's on the site and elsewhere, and lots of friendly folks willing to share their knowledge and experience. Welcome to the club!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 AM
MiniSparks
Neutral
As previously stated, Best Bang for money and the most fun is a rear sway bar. 19mm should be fine.
Agree with the Amazon statement as I forgot to cross check once and ended up with a wrong part. Major hassle.
I also did the K&N drop in filter.
I recommend similar brake upgrades: stainless lines, Akebono pads, fluid flush, also brake stiffening bushings. Stopping quickly is a plus in a Mini!
You also need to start saving $$ for a upper motor mount replacement. It is not a question of if, but when pertaining to failure. I went with the Vibra-Techniques road version.
Again,welcome to the club!
-david j