Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain My custom exhaust for r53, incredible sound and very affordable.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 PM
natergator
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My custom exhaust for r53, incredible sound and very affordable.

Alright guys so earlier (about a couple weeks ago) i did the one ball mod to my r53, needless to say i was not impressed at all and was actually kinda bummed about the sound. It was a little louder but not that noticeable and it sounded a little cheep to be honest. So i then i was looking at new full exhaust setups i wanted to buy and all the very good loud deep toned and nice backfire (burps not pops) were all around 800-1200, as being a 18 year old kid with a part time job and still in high school i wanted to make my exhaust setup affordable with out sacrificing for a cheap *** sounding exhaust. So what i did was this.

My friend has a 2012 JCW and similar to the one ball the r56 and jcw have a resonator down the middle of there exhaust which can be removed and will make the car sound very nice deeper louder tone. A huge difference. So i deleted my second muffler (there was only one left after the one ball mod) installed the jcw resonator (im not sure if the r56 resonator is different from the jcw one) in the middle of my r53. i new the battery box would be a huge problem considering its right in the god damn middle so where the left muffler would be i installed tubing around the battery box and a Y pipe so that i could continue piping around the battery box to keep my dual tips, because there was no room for one pipe to go around the battery box and then add the Y pipe for dual tips. I need to go back and redo my tips because i went to a muffler guy before this job was done and he literally had no idea what he was doing and did a terrible job. So this new setup is down right beautiful and the sound is so nice. For my taste i was looking for a loud sound but i didnt want it to be sloppy. My r53 now sounds like a 800 dollar alta and i couldnt be happier. I have had it for a week and i have gotten tons of compliments on how it sounds and asking what company its from. If ur looking for a loud sporty sounds with tons a backfire i highly suggest doing this. It costed me only 120 dollars. Now that is also because my friend gave me the resonator from his jcw but im guessing you could pick one up for around 150-200. but really i cant stress how nice it sounds. i do have a drone on the freeway but its not that bad. I will add a video later if i get enough interest.

Attached Thumbnails My custom exhaust for r53, incredible sound and very affordable.-exhaust1.jpg   My custom exhaust for r53, incredible sound and very affordable.-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by natergator; 05-22-2014 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
iw777 (02-27-2020)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 PM
natergator
1st Gear
oh and the name of the muffler guy is Steves muffler in Glendale CA. 1717 S Band Blvd. if any one is interest and in the area. Id call ahead of time because hes always busy.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:45 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
your pic links need to be changed, cannot view

Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
yea fix the pictures.... either attach them to the post or use a photo hosting site.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 AM
natergator
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GreekDrifter91
yea fix the pictures.... either attach them to the post or use a photo hosting site.
My bad im a noob still, fixed it hopefully though.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
very cool! and wow thats a tight fit for the resinator lol

Old 05-22-2014, 12:32 PM
natergator
1st Gear
hah ur tellin me, i have to go in again because i think its vibrating on the heat wrap.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
basically straight piped, nice

Old 05-22-2014, 05:22 PM
natergator
1st Gear
yea the resonator really suppresses the noise so it doesn't sound retarded loud, but still pretty loud (;

Old 05-22-2014, 08:01 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
you should try getting a high lift long duration cam and some headers... then it will be stupid loud..

I know..

From experience...

it was deafening in the cabin. Quieter with the windows down on the interstate than up.

Ended up just wearing a helmet everywhere for a week until I could cut it up again and add in a muffler

Old 05-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Bulldog_Blue
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks cool and custom all the way, now i just need a JCW resonator!!!

Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 PM
natergator
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bulldog_Blue
looks cool and custom all the way, now i just need a JCW resonator!!!
Dude go for it. It sounds incredible. I need to put up videos so you guys can hear it.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:32 AM
MiniKartR53
Neutral
Sound clip please!!!!!

Old 02-07-2016, 05:46 AM
graveshaker
2nd Gear
Just out of curiosity, did you look into the Ireland engineering exhaust that cost $368 and utilizes a single muffler? I too was in your predicament a few weeks ago and didn't want to shell out the $800-$1000. I also considered the one ball mod but felt It would be a waste of money and time considering the slight difference in sound. I was very impressed with the workmanship, sound and ease of installation of the Ireland engineering exhaust. I swapped it on on my garage floor in under an hour.

Not my video........

Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 AM
MiniKartR53
Neutral
Originally Posted by graveshaker
Just out of curiosity, did you look into the Ireland engineering exhaust that cost $368 and utilizes a single muffler? I too was in your predicament a few weeks ago and didn't want to shell out the $800-$1000. I also considered the one ball mod but felt It would be a waste of money and time considering the slight difference in sound. I was very impressed with the workmanship, sound and ease of installation of the Ireland engineering exhaust. I swapped it on on my garage floor in under an hour.

Not my video........

Ireland Engineering Catback Exhaust - YouTube

You can find great deals on the forums I just got a Borla full system for $400 and it's sounds nice. It has the res cut but it sounds nice. I love the upgrade. Just gotta be patient and if u know what u want it will happen. During Christmas time u get really great deals on full systems. Just save and do it right.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 PM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by natergator
Alright guys so earlier (about a couple weeks ago) i did the one ball mod to my r53, needless to say i was not impressed at all and was actually kinda bummed about the sound. It was a little louder but not that noticeable and it sounded a little cheep to be honest. So i then i was looking at new full exhaust setups i wanted to buy and all the very good loud deep toned and nice backfire (burps not pops) were all around 800-1200, as being a 18 year old kid with a part time job and still in high school i wanted to make my exhaust setup affordable with out sacrificing for a cheap *** sounding exhaust. So what i did was this.

My friend has a 2012 JCW and similar to the one ball the r56 and jcw have a resonator down the middle of there exhaust which can be removed and will make the car sound very nice deeper louder tone. A huge difference. So i deleted my second muffler (there was only one left after the one ball mod) installed the jcw resonator (im not sure if the r56 resonator is different from the jcw one) in the middle of my r53. i new the battery box would be a huge problem considering its right in the god damn middle so where the left muffler would be i installed tubing around the battery box and a Y pipe so that i could continue piping around the battery box to keep my dual tips, because there was no room for one pipe to go around the battery box and then add the Y pipe for dual tips. I need to go back and redo my tips because i went to a muffler guy before this job was done and he literally had no idea what he was doing and did a terrible job. So this new setup is down right beautiful and the sound is so nice. For my taste i was looking for a loud sound but i didnt want it to be sloppy. My r53 now sounds like a 800 dollar alta and i couldnt be happier. I have had it for a week and i have gotten tons of compliments on how it sounds and asking what company its from. If ur looking for a loud sporty sounds with tons a backfire i highly suggest doing this. It costed me only 120 dollars. Now that is also because my friend gave me the resonator from his jcw but im guessing you could pick one up for around 150-200. but really i cant stress how nice it sounds. i do have a drone on the freeway but its not that bad. I will add a video later if i get enough interest.
I'm gonna be doing this with a R53 JCW resonator. Do you have a sound clip or video? Really curious how it sounds.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:01 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sound clip!?

Old 09-24-2016, 11:51 AM
burble_durble
1st Gear
How long, and how wide is the resonator?

Originally Posted by natergator

I want to buy a round Magnaflow 10416 because I can't find a JCW resonator for sale, and the magnaflow is pretty cheap.
The dimensions of the Magnaflow muffler are 20 x 4 x 4.
Or, does anyine know if this will fit?

Old 09-24-2016, 03:39 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a 2013 real JCW rear muffler with tips that is gathering dust in my shop and I don't want to get rich so PM me with a fair offer and you too could be snarling and popping.

ISAMIN

Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
if you still have that rear muffler PM me plz

Old 10-23-2016, 08:19 PM
kaden
Neutral
Sound clip? Also can anyone link me to a place that sells the resonator like the one he said, thanks.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:12 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
So you start this thread to tell us all about this very unique setup and dont leave a sound clip? Seriously? iPhone has a great app called Capture. You can upload right to YouTube very easily.

The following users liked this post:
iw777 (02-27-2020)