Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Schrick camshaft question for people who built this motor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Schrick camshaft question for people who built this motor.

Hi, I'm currently getting ready to do a full build on my engine. Wanna have a game plan to follow once I figure out what parts I'm gonna use.
Has anyone who has built these engines(N14) used Schrick cams? I had an idea of using the 248 cam on the intake side and the 252 on the exhaust side.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
In all the time I have been a member of this great forum I have never heard of anyone talk about even upgrading their cams, kind of strange though.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
In all the time I have been a member of this great forum I have never heard of anyone talk about even upgrading their cams, kind of strange though.
The reason...
Variable valve timing..the vanous system....

Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The reason...
Variable valve timing..the vanous system....
I figured that but at the same time my brother-in-law has a Honda S2000 and he is getting larger valves with more lift even though there's VVT.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
From the sidelines, it appears that most guys work with the tune and turbo upgrades. I've seen a couple of guys rebuild their engines with Carrillo rods and pistons, but haven't heard about cam development on this forum.

It may be wise to speak with your tune company and find out what they can work with.

Plus, you should have a pretty good plan for traction as well.......

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's possible to do the cams. People have used the Schrick and there are others in development from other companies. Just need to make sure that you have piston relief as required for the valve lift.

Agreed that it's not been done here much. It's still early days for these engines and most people doing builds are piecing miscellaneous bits together still.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rhygin
It's possible to do the cams. People have used the Schrick and there are others in development from other companies. Just need to make sure that you have piston relief as required for the valve lift.

Agreed that it's not been done here much. It's still early days for these engines and most people doing builds are piecing miscellaneous bits together still.
Even the GP2 used standard cam and some members are running 250hp and 275tq.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:27 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Not sure about your point. Are you arguing it can't be done, or doesn't need to be?

It can be done. And really, no modding needs to be done. It's possible to make power without a cam, but it's part of complete engine build for those who want it.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Oh yeah, and just to add something of value, the only cam that I know of now (other than the Schricks) is a cat cam. They have one for the R56. There might be some people over on MT who've used them.

Lots of R53 people like the cat cams, although I'm waiting for another option.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:05 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Not sure about your point. Are you arguing it can't be done, or doesn't need to be?

It can be done. And really, no modding needs to be done. It's possible to make power without a cam, but it's part of complete engine build for those who want it.
What I'm saying is even the GP2 can get some serious hp and torque without running upgraded cams. Sorry about the confusion.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:01 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
I was just curious since i have 2 on the shelf that i removed do to tuning issues. I'm currently looking at a couple tuning options but i am specific with them as to what can i or cant i do to the engine relative to the tuning process so a nightmare is not encountered. I am curious about the 248 int. and the 252 exh. being used together. valve relief's wont be an issue since i will be checking the clearance if i choose to use them.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Yeah, people in England have used them and tuned to them (I know Evolve has and maybe others). If you search on MT you can find a few threads. Presumably Evolve could similarly tune your car here, so they shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy has Schrick cams. I think he is using 248s but I would need to read through his build again:

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/

When I do my build I'm going to use the 248s as well. A while back I read up on the 248 vs 252 and if memory serves me correctly the 248 can be a direct swap and is ok for street use and doesn't make the car idle weird. The 252 is a different story though. I researched this a year ago and haven't really checked since so take my input for what it's worth.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:06 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is some free horsepower just in cam timing. I wish they made slottled cam sprokets for the mini. I use to build drag bikes and i could pick up a stock GSXR bike .3 tenths in the quater buy just degeeing the cams in. Yes you can build your power band for what you are wanting to do . with turbo and nos you want lots of lobe seperation , if you want top end you roll them forward , bottom end back.... some cams would be nice but i heard the ECU freaks out when you put some thump in your junk.......

Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Sorry folks, racing season had me busy. Down to my last race this weekend for the year then it's back to the mini world. As far as degreeing the cams, good idea. But the cams aren't slotted, so if you have dial indicators you should be able to tweek them and just tighten the bolt up. However, will the ECU notice if you move them 4degrees at most ?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:54 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you will get 4 degrees out of them with just loosening the bolts.
I have not looked to hard at the mini's "sprockets" but from what I see at a glance it would be a complicated piece .
Then what would the ECU / VVT do ......
would be nice to roll them out and get some more lobe separation .

Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
1320 Mini has a Cooper S with a hybrid turbo and cams.
Nick at Manic tuned it and it produces 290whp.
He would love to tune more cars with cams.
If i remember correctly i think he said it accounts for 10whp or so.
It ran a 12.4 quarter mile. Not bad at all.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:26 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
NOW were talking some numbers.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:29 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
NOW were talking some numbers.
How bout if I thru in a ported head and a turbo ?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
They said there is still room for improvement and a slight bog off the line.
it ran 12.35@111mph
Owen developments hybrid turbo and Catcams. Manic Tuned to 290whp.
Look on their Facebook page.
1320 MINI and Manic Motorsport LTD

Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
They said there is still room for improvement and a slight bog off the line. it ran 12.35@111mph Owen developments hybrid turbo and Catcams. Manic Tuned to 290whp. Look on their Facebook page. 1320 MINI and Manic Motorsport LTD
WOW !!! How much things change in a year. I have to get my bigger turbo mapped out by JM turbo still. I think that's there name. I'll check out this camshaft thing again. See what Owen offers compared to the Schricks I have.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Yeah, people in England have used them and tuned to them (I know Evolve has and maybe others). If you search on MT you can find a few threads. Presumably Evolve could similarly tune your car here, so they shouldn't have any trouble with it.
I'll second this suggestion. A couple years ago I found a couple threads. Should be more by now.

Originally Posted by solskjaer1999
This guy has Schrick cams. I think he is using 248s but I would need to read through his build again:

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/

When I do my build I'm going to use the 248s as well. A while back I read up on the 248 vs 252 and if memory serves me correctly the 248 can be a direct swap and is ok for street use and doesn't make the car idle weird. The 252 is a different story though. I researched this a year ago and haven't really checked since so take my input for what it's worth.
I can't remember which one, probably the milder lift, but one of the schricks doesn't need a modified piston.

Originally Posted by ridinDirty
I don't think you will get 4 degrees out of them with just loosening the bolts.
I have not looked to hard at the mini's "sprockets" but from what I see at a glance it would be a complicated piece .
Then what would the ECU / VVT do ......
would be nice to roll them out and get some more lobe separation .
Big gamble trying to fool the ECUs' control of the Vanos system. Probably not worth the risk for a few HP gain

Originally Posted by johntotah94
1320 Mini has a Cooper S with a hybrid turbo and cams.
Nick at Manic tuned it and it produces 290whp.
He would love to tune more cars with cams.
If i remember correctly i think he said it accounts for 10whp or so.
It ran a 12.4 quarter mile. Not bad at all.
My last dyno run had me over 290 WHP, with OEM cams. Lotsa other stuff tho! The 10 WHP gain is consistent with the MT threads. Your (Sprintcars) "crankshaft" thread suggests you plan on a Battle / DNA tune. They are my first choice when and if I lose the AccessPort. Sounds like both Manic and Evolve also have the talent. I recommend you use someone nearby, with a dyno, and don't rely on a "remote" tune. "Nearby" because you'll probably want it done more than once.

Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
How bout if I thru in a ported head and a turbo ?
Personal opinion --- port the head and match it to BOTH manifolds! You want power, the engines' gotta breathe! Get a turbo to match the ECU boost limit --- 22PSI for the MCS. I've read where the JCW can support 30PSI, but I can't verify that. Avoid the Garrett's --- spooling starts too late. Lotsa good hybrids available.

And, with more boost, you'll need stronger rods / pistons. Mod requirements won't stop ---

Checking your "garage", I see you also believe in the "Sleeper". Stick with it, they are a blast to drive!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:24 AM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Shrick cams

I read this thread and didn't see anything about installing schrick cams since 2013. Who has successfully made the swap and which cam did you use? 10mm lift or 10.7mm lift. what was your experience with your engine after installation and a few K miles of driving?

I am researching my options now.

Thanks so much, DR

Old 12-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also am interested.
With cams, one should consider port work to allow the benefits of the cam to take full effect. I'm in contact with a member who is having issues after installing some cams. 10 whp is really not that much for what cams can do based on my experience with older BMW's. Of course one must have a tune for them not matter what.
Will follow up as info is provided.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:52 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Schrick Cam

Because I'm so **** I have to do research before I fix anything on that little car.
I have consulted with at least two race engine builders and understand that there is a very precise (yet straightrforward) method of measuring valve to piston distance (with the varaible cam timing in the equation). That's the unknown for me. The parts (pistons, rings, valves, higher spring rate springs and all other internals are available. From Mini and a couple of outside vendors.) I've sourced all of those.
Being here in Denver, my concern was to identify a builder who could take the engine apart, do the machining, and put it back together correctly with ensuring all the clearances were perfect and the assembly was clean and tight.
I know where I might either take the car or send the engine out of state. It's an added expense. And yes you have to tune the car. I have a KO4 turbo in it now and without the tune the engine would be ruined. I'm pretty sure of that.
Stay in touch. DR

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Schrick camshaft question for people who built this motor.