Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Jzw tuning for the mini

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:28 PM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jzw tuning for the mini

Hello everyone,

I have now become a vendor and I can share my tuning experiences with the rest of the Mini world. We have been tuning the Cooper S for a while now and we get some really solid power that is smooth and consistent.

There is already a few guys on this board that are getting the tune and already have the tune. Look forward to some more dynos and feed back on my tunes.

I am also working with Franken turbo to come up with a nice stg 4 set up for the car, will have that going in the near future.

I have been tuning for a long time now and I offer my I flash or the powergate 3 with multiple tunes and the ability to go back to stock. I like to offer at least two tunes, a little milder tune and a more aggressive one. I am always willing to fine tune these if you are willing to data log and get me more information on your own personal car.

Stg 1 runs very smooth and consistent. Nolan has been very happy it seems !

I look forward to working with the people in the Mini market.

You can check my website out at jzwtuning.com

I have the powergate and the I flash on sale for 549 right now and it allows you to get at least two tunes and go back to stock. We can tune everything from mild to wild :-)

thanks,

JZW

Attached Thumbnails Jzw tuning for the mini-mini-i-flash-med-17.2-internal.jpg   Jzw tuning for the mini-mini-cooper-stg-1-dyno-203whp.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Any N18 support?
I like the Frankenturbo Idea!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:43 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Any N18 support?
I like the Frankenturbo Idea!
Come on you know what he's going to say, we both know the answer to your question. It's the N14's turn to steal the show for now!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:50 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
No N18 love ..

Old 03-08-2014, 09:13 AM
4Dcooper
Neutral
Nice- I've seen a few on-line references to JZW and was just checking your website the other day. I live nearby west of Longmont so this is perfect.
I bought a 2007 R56 S with 70K recently and thinking of getting some bolt on parts to get to stage 2 zone.
Tempted to get tuned in stock configuration, then add parts and get tuned again. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Would be interesting to learn more details on the frankenturbo too.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 AM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
For the local guys you can come by the shop and we can put the tune on the car for you and data log it to see how its running. I have a lot of time testing and data logging on the road and on the dyno, so the tune is working well.

We can add a cat back exhaust for stg 2 and a full exhaust for stg 3 and a better ic and then the FrankenTurbo for stg 4.

BMW has started locking the ecus in all the cars in the mid 11 to 12 years and the N18 has that new ecu that is locked, it has some kind of random password generator on the processor. From what I understand, there is no way to crack this new security. No tuner has any tunes for this ecu because its not possible to write files to the ecu. If it was possible, tuners would be doing it.

John

Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:28 PM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
I did see the post on one company stating that it could be done and I know there were a couple of them in the 2011 and 12 years that could be done on the bench, but was told the security was such a large password now that is would take too much time and resources to break the code. If someone at BMW were to leak the keys, then it would be possible.

I will check with my SW engineer and see if there has been progress on this yet. I was told that it will eventually be available, maybe that time has already come.

John

Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Yeah. Manic Motorsport can rewrite do an entire ECU rewrite through OBD.
Different from the partial rewrite other tuners do. Manic is from the UK and that is where MINIs are made. So maybe they got a hold of some kind of tool they use or have an inside source. But it is possible without a bench tune.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:02 PM
my1stR56S
2nd Gear
"No tuner has any tunes for this ecu because its not possible to write files to the ecu. If it was possible, tuners would be doing it."

It's either you really haven't looked into it, or you're running on old news and tech and just barely reaching out to the N14....

Old 03-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Yeah. Manic Motorsport can rewrite do an entire ECU rewrite through OBD.
Different from the partial rewrite other tuners do. Manic is from the UK and that is where MINIs are made. So maybe they got a hold of some kind of tool they use or have an inside source. But it is possible without a bench tune.
Maybe unrelated but be careful with a full ECU write if under warranty as it increments the internal flash counter. That's why none of us do it that way... At least with the N54 motor.

PS. Welcome JZW! The PG3 is a nifty little device. Glad to see N14 support for it. Hopefully you guys can pick up where Cobb left off when they abandoned the platform.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
killy19
1st Gear
Just got my JZW tune this week. Just the stage one, WOW is all I can say the power gained is smooth! Of course I have yet to get it dyno'd one of these days I will. Defiantly worth the 550 paid John is a great person to work with too. Cant wait to start moving up stages!

Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 PM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
Cool man,

I am glad that its working well for you. The tunes really do wake those cars up and make them fun to drive. I am ready to start work in the larger turbo build, just waiting on the rest of the parts to come in so we can get started.

John

Old 03-08-2014, 05:52 PM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by my1stR56S
"No tuner has any tunes for this ecu because its not possible to write files to the ecu. If it was possible, tuners would be doing it."

It's either you really haven't looked into it, or you're running on old news and tech and just barely reaching out to the N14....
I just looked into it 6 months ago and from what I was told, it will not be something that will be easily done. Maybe that has changed since I checked back before Christmas, but this what I saw at that time.

It would be great if there is a way to get around the code, similar to the N55 stuff where you have to have the entire OEM file list to be able to flash the ecu.

John

Attached Thumbnails Jzw tuning for the mini-bmw-closes-security-hole-for-tuning.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JZWMINICOOPER
Cool man,

I am glad that its working well for you. The tunes really do wake those cars up and make them fun to drive. I am ready to start work in the larger turbo build, just waiting on the rest of the parts to come in so we can get started.

John
Why does BMW even care if a Mini owner gets his or her ECU flashed for a stage 1, 2, 3 tune? I know recently my local Mini dealer tried to sell me a tune for $2600 that would give me 208 HP. I think I just answered my own question above, if I didn't then you can answer!

Can a 2007 Mini Cooper S get past 200 HP plus over 200 torque with a Borla S-Type exhaust also using the primary cat? Even though I'd upgrade to a catless DP I'm still interested.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Why does BMW even care if a Mini owner gets his or her ECU flashed for a stage 1, 2, 3 tune? I know recently my local Mini dealer tried to sell me a tune for $2600 that would give me 208 HP. I think I just answered my own question above, if I didn't then you can answer!

Can a 2007 Mini Cooper S get past 200 HP plus over 200 torque with a Borla S-Type exhaust also using the primary cat? Even though I'd upgrade to a catless DP I'm still interested.
JZW Stage 1 is right at about 200 on a stock car. If you threw a downpipe into the mix, I imagine you would be able to get ~210 or so.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
The way I see it and what they have told me is that BMW was tired of fixing and repairing parts under warranty that they feel were caused by tuning the car and getting more power out of it and this causes some parts to wear out faster.

Normally when you have something like my I flash or Powergate-3, you can go back to stock and they are not going to notice or know about anything. There are some circumstances where they may look deeper and find out the ecu has been tuned, like a warranty engine replacement or somthing.

I took my BMW 135i in after putting it back to stock and they did not notice or sway anything about it. Once its out of warranty, then it obviously should not matter.

John

Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Still don't understand why new BMWs get tuning support but it's so hard to tune a MINI.
Why isn't the M3 locked?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
Its the type of ecu in the car, the ones that have the new ecu cannot be tuned, some of the cars in 11-13 have the ecu that can be tuned and some have the new style ecu that has the larger security in the password. It all depends on what car and what ecu is in it.

John

Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
I just don't understand why BMW didn't adopt the new style to all new models. Especially M cars.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
I have ordered the I-flash today, I will post with initial impressions when I get it.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
doug@frankenturbo
Former Vendor
Congratulations, John, on your new sponsorship status. I look forward to working with you.

dh

Old 03-13-2014, 02:14 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JZWMINICOOPER
The way I see it and what they have told me is that BMW was tired of fixing and repairing parts under warranty that they feel were caused by tuning the car and getting more power out of it and this causes some parts to wear out faster.

Normally when you have something like my I flash or Powergate-3, you can go back to stock and they are not going to notice or know about anything. There are some circumstances where they may look deeper and find out the ecu has been tuned, like a warranty engine replacement or somthing.

I took my BMW 135i in after putting it back to stock and they did not notice or sway anything about it. Once its out of warranty, then it obviously should not matter.

John
Do you think the parts that were wearing out were in fact caused by tunes? You don't have to have a tune to having major engine problems, worn out clutches and such.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 AM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
The tunes I have are well tested and have many hours on the road and on the dyno :-) You can def wear out the things like brakes and clutches when you drive faster and harder, so there is a implied trickle down effect I am sure.

John

Old 03-13-2014, 08:17 AM
JZWMINICOOPER
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo
Congratulations, John, on your new sponsorship status. I look forward to working with you.

dh
Hey Doug, I hope to have something going soon, I wish these guys would hurry up and get going. I will post up some results once we have time to data log and dial everything in on the tuning.

John

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Jzw tuning for the mini