Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Battle/DNA Tune Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Battle/DNA Tune Thread

I figure I'd jumpstart this thread to see how other's in MINI community are enjoying their Battle/DNA tuned MINI!

I really enjoyed this tune after George Talbot took the bullet and got tuned. After seeing his dyno graph, I was impressed, especially considering they tune for the MINI Challenge Series.

It was just a no-brainer from there and I have been extremely happy with my communication with DNA and Battle Tuning from then and now.

I have their linear and non-linear maps so I can switch between the two, but really just stick with the linear map because it's just so much fun revving the MINI to redline and hearing my iPE exhaust system roar. I've only switched to the non-linear map to show others the difference between the 2 maps.

Anyways, hope to see/hear other MINI owners' impressions. They're new on NAM, but they've really been great to work with.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm loving it! I started off with the straight stage 2 linear tune but with the frequency of stop and go traffic that I experience, I noticed that linear throttle (mapping) was causing me to have too much effort to just "creep along". So, I'll just just add here what I posted in the group buy section....

So, I'm putting this out there to those of you, who like myself, may have to deal with stop and go traffic more frequently than not. After getting the stage 2 tune, I felt like it was great, but my car seemed like it was struggling to "get going" from a standstill. Figured I would just get used to it, but it still is something that I should bring to light. And I did. So I reached out to Battle Tuning on Friday and to my surprise, I was offered a different throttle map. Received it this evening and immediately grabbed my co-pilots (aka my dogs) and went out for a drive.

in a good way. It is now 100% PERFECT!!! From a standstill, the car takes off like a bat out of hell and then continuously keeps going. At no point is there any feeling of a struggle.

This far exceeds anything I would have ever expected. I even feel like there is more power behind the entire car. Absolutely fantastic!!! "

Oh...and the communication from Battle is THE BEST!!! I don't even think they sleep because I get responses back in record time.... and at times when I would think most are snoozing!

Keep up the good work. They have now become my go-to guys/gals for the exclusive, not so common, items

Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 AM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the uk and so far really pleased with the service provided by John at DNA Tuning. Communication is fast and when you ask for changes to be made it's never a problem and no extra cost. Just tell him what you want and he does it.

In the next few weeks john will be doing more work with my car to get it perfect for the track. I was also shown a tool that allows me to have 4 maps saved and interchangeable which is cool of you want a selection of maps for Eco/fast road/track/drag.

You will also see quite a few more cars tuned by John in the uk in the coming months so it will be an exciting time.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
my1stR56S
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DUDE big PROPS to BATTLE TUNING for getting my tune back in the make of time for my track day !!
Couple of things, I do want to say that this tune is not for everyone. If your looking for a tune to sell and get your money back this maybe not the case but if you want your custom tune with the reliability of what your car is achievable of then this is it.

First reaction from the linear map stage 2 was WOWWWW, power was there throughout the whole RPM range. None of that power surge coming out of the apex. None of the bouncy rev's that the other tune gives, power was perfect for the track I was at. Cant wait to go get the Stage 3 tune!!

Customer Service was excellent, probably the best customer service i've ever dealt with anything regarding Minis . I'd definitely would come back just for the service Battle Tuning offered and the price for the Group buy was great. Couldnt be more happier , thank you again Battle Tuning!! Hope to work with ya guys again soon!!

Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Any N18 support coming??

Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
They said it is in the works once things settle down with the N14 cars.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
zcast
3rd Gear
Just purchased my tune. Has anyone asked how the tune affects the sport button or visa versa?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zcast
Just purchased my tune. Has anyone asked how the tune affects the sport button or visa versa?
I rode in my1stR56S MINI and he says the sport button changes a bit of the dynamics of the MINI. Me, personally? I have an FES Auto Sport installed so Sport mode is always on. I'd have it no other way.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I rode in my1stR56S MINI and he says the sport button changes a bit of the dynamics of the MINI. Me, personally? I have an FES Auto Sport installed so Sport mode is always on. I'd have it no other way.
Do you find the Sport Mode when enabled that you lose a bit of top-end power?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Do you find the Sport Mode when enabled that you lose a bit of top-end power?
It holds smoothly to redline. Shitty photo of my graph when I dyno'ed not too long ago. Again, this was Stg2. The lighter graph was my AP Stg3 which was all over the place and you can see the boost cut early.

Name:  dyno_zpsd4e25ecb.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  66.0 KB

Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, some very different power bands. I take it the DNA tune you ran on the dyno was the linear model?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM
two250
4th Gear
Another happy Battle Tuning customer here. I had an AP before, and would occasionally get pinging with it on stage 1. I run a non-linear stage 2 BT and it's perfect, very smooth and no pinging. Communication was also great as I was getting my tune setup. Highly recommended!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zcast
If your signature is still correct and you have a 2012 Mini. Our N18 engines are not supported by DNA/Battle Tuning yet. But will be soon.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Oops. I lied. I forgot the 2012 JCW is N14. 2013 is N18. My bad. Lol

Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DNA does N18s, but not OBDII portable. You'll have to send your ECU in.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by two250
Another happy Battle Tuning customer here. I had an AP before, and would occasionally get pinging with it on stage 1. I run a non-linear stage 2 BT and it's perfect, very smooth and no pinging. Communication was also great as I was getting my tune setup. Highly recommended!
How would you describe your stock factory tuned when compared with DNA tuning? Given that our engines are pretty much identical.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
^What factory tune are you referring to? Stock? He also has linear mapping like I do, so it's likely it's a huge difference in how power is delivered.

Just look at the graph I provided, it shows 2 completely different feels, one with boost in the mid while my current map has power coming in way late. It's predictable power and if you're a track guy, you'd love a linear map.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
^What factory tune are you referring to? Stock? He also has linear mapping like I do, so it's likely it's a huge difference in how power is delivered.

Just look at the graph I provided, it shows 2 completely different feels, one with boost in the mid while my current map has power coming in way late. It's predictable power and if you're a track guy, you'd love a linear map.
It's kind of hard to know what the rpm is and what color line represents what? It's just a bunch of squiggly lines.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Diego Morales
Neutral
so i was just looking for a AP but they are pretty expensive and with no support. How much would the BT cost? and how would i go by of getting one?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
They have a groupbuy here.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Diego Morales
Neutral
thanks.. really thinking about it.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 AM
barnoun
3rd Gear
I ordered a stage 2 tune this morning, should have it next week. Had an AP for a couple years but sold it due to the issues associated with it (bouncy idle, anemic top-end, boost cuts).

ra2fanatic: What is the redline on the dyno pulls? Do your non-linear and linear maps make the same power? I want to get an idea about what to expect.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Thank you ra2fanatic, I have small monitor.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 AM
george_talbot
2nd Gear
Here is a comparison of two maps that John at DNA Tuning made for me:

Name:  DNA1vsDNA2-page-001_zps7ed411a1.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  63.7 KB

As you can see, the first map John made for me was the lower powered map. It built the boost earlier and pulled up to the redline, something my previous map from another company didn't do. I wanted something more aggressive and a flat boost curve. As you can see the second map has a really nice flat boost curve (helped by using the alta diverter valve - boost controlled and no leaking). It still makes/holds power to the redline and works well out on track. However, out on the road all that low end torque is great as it makes the car a real weapon when making short bursts of acceleration. The power/torque curves are incredibly smooth as well unlike many other tunes out there.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Battle/DNA Tune Thread