Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Based on the first set of DashCommand log files for a different vehicle in MC the AFR appear a little lean in stock mode. I have requested additional .lgf files in Map A and Map B. A lean condition could trigger the ECU to dump pressure in order to protect the engine. Tunerlab have you recorded AFR's during these runs or made log files using DashCommand that you could send me at lou@prototype-r.com? Also please provide any details you may have of the tune installed and supporting mod's.

To whomever installed these tunes please feel free to contact me at the email above. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated in helping resolve the clients difficulties.
Interesting as I remeber seeing the first set of logs with VCDS in map A and B a little under 1 for the Fuel–air equivalence ratio. Maybe Im not getting this right as Im not expert, but been lean is going to be a problem

Old 10-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
I don't believe leaning is a problem. Lambda values of .775 to .8 are safe at high boost, .83 at lower boost is fine. The logs I saw were in stock mode and the factory tune runs very lean. New logs in the performance maps will be forthcoming and Nick is involved so I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. Hopefully it is a software issue although we just spent a far amount of money designing and building a 51 mm hybrid KO4 to address high pressure ratio needs lol.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
I don't believe leaning is a problem. Lambda values of .775 to .8 are safe at high boost, .83 at lower boost is fine. The logs I saw were in stock mode and the factory tune runs very lean. New logs in the performance maps will be forthcoming and Nick is involved so I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. Hopefully it is a software issue although we just spent a far amount of money designing and building a 51 mm hybrid KO4 to address high pressure ratio needs lol.
The first set of logs I sent were in MAP A and B. I think is where I saw lambdas around .8, but I will have to double check. Im glad that it may be fixed via software, until now I didnt know if Nick was on it or not. Anyway that turbo is in.

Last edited by MiniMoic; 10-04-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Yeah Tunerlab even though they didn't install the tunes has been great in helping us out with data. They look like a great shop and kudos to them for looking out for their customers. The issue is on N14's and N18's, manuals and automatics but in each case so far it's been a JCW. The problem is also not limited to Manic as another Mini with an E-Tuners tune suffers from the same issue. In addition the loss of boost is consistent but any surging is also greatly exacerbated by a Forge BOV. Nick already has some ideas thanks to the data provided and the more we collect the more it will help nail it down.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:19 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Yeah Tunerlab even though they didn't install the tunes has been great in helping us out with data. They look like a great shop and kudos to them for looking out for their customers. The issue is on N14's and N18's, manuals and automatics but in each case so far it's been a JCW. The problem is also not limited to Manic as another Mini with an E-Tuners tune suffers from the same issue. In addition the loss of boost is consistent but any surging is also greatly exacerbated by a Forge BOV. Nick already has some ideas thanks to the data provided and the more we collect the more it will help nail it down.
Kudos go to you and them Lou.

As I said, Im glad Nick is engaged and nailing it down, as I had no clue something was actually been done. More data to come...

Old 10-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Nick just needed someone to get him some data he could work with and he was all over it. He and Martyn are committed to producing fantastic work for the Mini platform and Nick is very committed to his craft. I'm just glad to be a tiny part of helping turning Mini's into giant killers. The tuner in Mexico City now has a new file for the N18 JCW so I expect the issue to resolved very soon.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:15 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A+
Nice job tiger !!

Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 PM
TurboJuan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manic misfire

Hi guys,
So a couple of weeks ago i sent my ecu for a stage 3 manic water/meth tune, i got my ecu back and ran map b with no issues with awesome power for two weeks, i installed an AEM meth kit yesterday and after the install my car wouldnt stop misfiring and hesitating at high loads WOT, I turned the meth off thinking maybe the system was overflowing but the car kept misfiring. I pulled a spark plug and it looks good, checked all the sensors and everything seems fine. Do you guys have any ideas of what migth be the issue?
Im running the JCW one step colder spark plugs and 60/40 meth mix.
Im taking the car to the shop tomorrow and im going to check every connection is good.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:30 PM
TurboJuan
Neutral
Problem solved! I had a bad coil, replaced it but the car was still misfiring under high loads at WOT, I took the spark plugs out and saw that they had .033 gap. (im running the JCW sparks) Closed the gap to .020 thanks to a suggestion from a friend who has a mazdaspeed 3,after that the car was perfect and the AEM meth system is working perfectly!

Old 12-24-2016, 12:22 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
So, I just read through this entire thread

I am researching jumping in on a Manic stage 2, but I have one lagging question concerning the O2 readiness code when running a cat less downpipe: I live in Connecticut and we have an OBD emissions check every year. What am I going to need to do to pass? Nothing? Something?

Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I have done around 40 stage 2 and 3's in your State and everyone has passed. The inspection place will not see any trigger codes, but they will see on not readiness code. Almost every state allows one non-readiness code

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-24-2016, 12:37 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I have done around 40 stage 2 and 3's in your State and everyone has passed. The inspection place will not see any trigger codes, but they will see on not readiness code. Almost every state allows one non-readiness code

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer
Works for me. I'll bring it up when I get in to see my tuner, too.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:04 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in Nevada and have full catless exhaust/DP and have passed emissions for 2 years now with my manic tuned , stock motor with 300+ hp.
( Thanks EuroTechs Az for the extra work on making that happen )
but, a month ago I was racing a BMW and hit the rev limiter pretty hard and got a P115 code or something like that. cleared it no biggie..... well I had used my scangauge to force clear all codes, my O2 not ready came in plus I had an evap not ready code so I got turned away for my emissions test ( 2 not ready codes ) and was told I need to go put 50-100 miles on my car till the not ready goes away.
I put 120 miles and still neither code cleared. I was using Palmer to monitor my not ready codes...
NOTE TO SELF and anyone else...lol
you have to put the car back into stock map and put 5-10 miles on the car for the not ready to clear and then you can go back to your maps..... I passed in map B
ANOTHER NOTE TO SELF , I think I would sell my car if i had to go back to stock tune, man what a difference MANIC makes A++++++

Old 12-25-2016, 12:57 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Works for me. I'll bring it up when I get in to see my tuner, too.
Who do you plan to go to for your tune?

Old 12-25-2016, 03:22 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Who do you plan to go to for your tune?
KMD Tuning in New Jersey.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts

Let us know how it works out.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:16 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
That's my tuner.

I pass inspection in NY, same requirements as CT. One monitor will not be ready but that's acceptable to pass.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:00 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by thebombardier
That's my tuner.

I pass inspection in NY, same requirements as CT. One monitor will not be ready but that's acceptable to pass.
That's awesome, thanks! I used to live in upstate New York, and the CT emissions test is similar.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:05 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Any new Manic dealers in or near Pittsburgh?

Old 12-26-2016, 12:51 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboJuan
Problem solved! I had a bad coil, replaced it but the car was still misfiring under high loads at WOT, I took the spark plugs out and saw that they had .033 gap. (im running the JCW sparks) Closed the gap to .020 thanks to a suggestion from a friend who has a mazdaspeed 3,after that the car was perfect and the AEM meth system is working perfectly!
Anything higher than .025 gives me problems. Stage 2, stock S motor

Old 12-26-2016, 01:08 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ke3ee
Any new Manic dealers in or near Pittsburgh?
Looks like the closest one to you is in Virginia in the DC area. GoFast Dynamics in Centreville, VA. Unless it's easier to drive through PA to New Jersey.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 AM
MINIDyn
Neutral
GoFast Dynamics

Originally Posted by thebombardier
Looks like the closest one to you is in Virginia in the DC area. GoFast Dynamics in Centreville, VA. Unless it's easier to drive through PA to New Jersey.
Just wanted to make everyone aware that MINI Dynamics is now GoFast Dynamics....we are still in Northern Virginia and nothing has changed but our name. We are still one of the busiest Manic Dealers in the country.

Our new website address is: www.gofastdynamics.com

Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM
oldkid6
2nd Gear
Can someone give me a brief summary of the Manic stages of tuning? I currently just use a JB+ and it's fine but I am feeling like I need more. I don't plan on tracking the car but I just want more power without going crazy, and by that I mean spending a lot of hardware upgrades.

How much power can I expect from a stage 1 or 2 tune and what bolt ons need to accompany that to maximize the tune? I can already tell a stage 3 tune would be out of my budget and need. Sorry to ask newbie questions but I am just looking for a clear concise answer, the bottom line is I need more power than the JB+ has to offer.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:11 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by oldkid6
Can someone give me a brief summary of the Manic stages of tuning? I currently just use a JB+ and it's fine but I am feeling like I need more. I don't plan on tracking the car but I just want more power without going crazy, and by that I mean spending a lot of hardware upgrades.

How much power can I expect from a stage 1 or 2 tune and what bolt ons need to accompany that to maximize the tune? I can already tell a stage 3 tune would be out of my budget and need. Sorry to ask newbie questions but I am just looking for a clear concise answer, the bottom line is I need more power than the JB+ has to offer.
You need to talk with a dealer to get power info. Manic's website has a dealer page with contact info. Here's a link to their page with stage 1 and 2 info --- https://manicmotorsport.freshdesk.co...-2015-onwards-

I recommend driving to a dealer, but mail options are also available, just a PITA to pull the ECU.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:12 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by oldkid6

I had a JB+, ran 92 octane (highest available) on default setting (+4 psi). A manic stage 1 on map B or C feels a lot more powerful, which make sense since that is +7 and +9 psi, respectively. The manic tune also runs the car richer (read: safer) than the JB+ which has no way of adjusting the air fuel ratio from stock. Map C was too twitchy for me, the power felt on/off when it came on, but that could be user error . Takes an S from ~180hp to ~210hp (crank). Gives linear throttle map making it easier to apply the power increase. Only mod recommended is afe dry drop in air filter.

I run stage 2, so I have colder plugs (not as cold as recommended, though), intercooler and downpipe. The mid-top end is greatly improved and the turbo seems to spool even sooner/faster. Also, water temps are set much lower, stage 1 doesnt do this, which should benefit longevity of the turbo and (auto) tranny in addition to the engine itself. Adds ~20hp to stage 1.

Mailing the ECU is no big deal, it removes in less than a minute and your car is parked only as long as it takes to ship to/from since the tuner can usually turn around in a day if you've discussed it with them.

Last edited by yesti; 01-26-2017 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
csllover (10-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!