Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Borla Agressive exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla Agressive exhaust questions

Just wanted to know if anyone had and their thoughts. I know they are insanely expensive, but the SS construction will help in WI winters.
I would also like to keep, if not, increase the pop and burble noise-which is my favorite feature of my R53, and want to know if it increases or will I loose.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will not look back, Borla systems are quality but you pay for that as well. Check youtube out for plenty of Clips of R53 w/borla.

Here is one:

Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Cease
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just installed the Borla street exhaust. Very well made system, I asked my exhaust shop to weld it all in instead of using the clamps provided.

The street exhaust is about as loud as the one-ball mod and about the same burble-pop. It's exactly what I wanted, deeper growl, some pops but no drone on the highway. I can barely hear the exhaust under 3k with the windows up. Don't have hp numbers but the butt-dyno notices a slight gain.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is a great video about both the Borla exhausts for the R53 with dyno results and sound clips:

Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM
sssevita
1st Gear
Borla Agressive Exhaust

I have the Borla agressive exhaust on my '03 MCS with the stock header / cat. It is louder than the JCW exhaust my car previously had and also has no highway drone. In the future I may remove the resonator and install a straight pipe in its place to make it a little louder.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
That's great!! I JUST ordered the Borla aggressive. Had to confirm shipping address, if I ship home, wife would put me in a body bag.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
spr061
2nd Gear
I drive a base model r50 ... Would an aftermarket exhaust make a big difference?

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 11-24-2013, 12:30 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by spr061
I drive a base model r50 ... Would an aftermarket exhaust make a big difference? Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
I have read that any exhaust does after a bit of tuning. I have a KN air filter, so I'm not sure how much of a difference I would feel. Summit racing had a Borla for a Cooper, and what I thought was very reasonable.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
The Borla Exhausts don't sound bad, I've only had a few complain of drone with them on an R53. But I don't recommend them do to the failures I've seen with them. As you may have seen these have several joints to bolt together. While those joints make it easy to adjust they will all end up leaking, and the welds on the Borlas will all crack over time as every borla I've seen come in on an R53 was cracked and leaking.
I'd suggest the Stratmosphere Catback or Milltek. These have proven to be the most reliable over the years and make the most torque. With only 3 joints the potential for failure also reduces. And the pop and burble will be slightly amplified, but not too much where it is annoying. FYI they both cost less than the Borla.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The Borla Exhausts don't sound bad, I've only had a few complain of drone with them on an R53. But I don't recommend them do to the failures I've seen with them. As you may have seen these have several joints to bolt together. While those joints make it easy to adjust they will all end up leaking, and the welds on the Borlas will all crack over time as every borla I've seen come in on an R53 was cracked and leaking. I'd suggest the Stratmosphere Catback or Milltek. These have proven to be the most reliable over the years and make the most torque. With only 3 joints the potential for failure also reduces. And the pop and burble will be slightly amplified, but not too much where it is annoying. FYI they both cost less than the Borla.
Dang!!! Too late and the Borla just shipped... :(
The SS construction was a big plus, especially in WI winters. Wouldn't the issues fall under warranty??

Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by ti22fjc
Dang!!! Too late and the Borla just shipped... :(
The SS construction was a big plus, especially in WI winters. Wouldn't the issues fall under warranty??
I've had them warranty them out, but you have to jump through the hoops and pay return shipping on the old exhaust for them to inspect it before they send you a new one. Not worth the time. Kinda like that commercial is the car reliable or the warranty???

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I've had them warranty them out, but you have to jump through the hoops and pay return shipping on the old exhaust for them to inspect it before they send you a new one. Not worth the time. Kinda like that commercial is the car reliable or the warranty???
I will see what I can do the Milltek w/o resonator was one I did look at, too.
Maybe I should just get an intake!