MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gallery
Borla Agressive exhaust questions

Just wanted to know if anyone had and their thoughts. I know they are insanely expensive, but the SS construction will help in WI winters.
I would also like to keep, if not, increase the pop and burble noise-which is my favorite feature of my R53, and want to know if it increases or will I loose.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Gallery
You will not look back, Borla systems are quality but you pay for that as well. Check youtube out for plenty of Clips of R53 w/borla.

Here is one:

2004 MCS JCW, 15% pulley, JCW 380cc injectors, ATI damper, Dinan CAI, MSD ignition & wires, Mynes V2 header, M7 STB, TSW rear control arms, H-sport front and rear sway bars, H-sport lowering springs, Powerflex bushes all around, modified Forge intercooler, R56 MCS front brake caliper upgrade.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
I just installed the Borla street exhaust. Very well made system, I asked my exhaust shop to weld it all in instead of using the clamps provided.

The street exhaust is about as loud as the one-ball mod and about the same burble-pop. It's exactly what I wanted, deeper growl, some pops but no drone on the highway. I can barely hear the exhaust under 3k with the windows up. Don't have hp numbers but the butt-dyno notices a slight gain.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Here is a great video about both the Borla exhausts for the R53 with dyno results and sound clips:
Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Borla Agressive Exhaust

I have the Borla agressive exhaust on my '03 MCS with the stock header / cat. It is louder than the JCW exhaust my car previously had and also has no highway drone. In the future I may remove the resonator and install a straight pipe in its place to make it a little louder.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
That's great!! I JUST ordered the Borla aggressive. Had to confirm shipping address, if I ship home, wife would put me in a body bag.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I drive a base model r50 ... Would an aftermarket exhaust make a big difference?

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
Old 11-24-2013, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr061 View Post
I drive a base model r50 ... Would an aftermarket exhaust make a big difference? Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
I have read that any exhaust does after a bit of tuning. I have a KN air filter, so I'm not sure how much of a difference I would feel. Summit racing had a Borla for a Cooper, and what I thought was very reasonable.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gallery
Garage
The Borla Exhausts don't sound bad, I've only had a few complain of drone with them on an R53. But I don't recommend them do to the failures I've seen with them. As you may have seen these have several joints to bolt together. While those joints make it easy to adjust they will all end up leaking, and the welds on the Borlas will all crack over time as every borla I've seen come in on an R53 was cracked and leaking.
I'd suggest the Stratmosphere Catback or Milltek. These have proven to be the most reliable over the years and make the most torque. With only 3 joints the potential for failure also reduces. And the pop and burble will be slightly amplified, but not too much where it is annoying. FYI they both cost less than the Borla.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks View Post
The Borla Exhausts don't sound bad, I've only had a few complain of drone with them on an R53. But I don't recommend them do to the failures I've seen with them. As you may have seen these have several joints to bolt together. While those joints make it easy to adjust they will all end up leaking, and the welds on the Borlas will all crack over time as every borla I've seen come in on an R53 was cracked and leaking. I'd suggest the Stratmosphere Catback or Milltek. These have proven to be the most reliable over the years and make the most torque. With only 3 joints the potential for failure also reduces. And the pop and burble will be slightly amplified, but not too much where it is annoying. FYI they both cost less than the Borla.
Dang!!! Too late and the Borla just shipped... :(
The SS construction was a big plus, especially in WI winters. Wouldn't the issues fall under warranty??
Old 11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti22fjc View Post
Dang!!! Too late and the Borla just shipped... :(
The SS construction was a big plus, especially in WI winters. Wouldn't the issues fall under warranty??
I've had them warranty them out, but you have to jump through the hoops and pay return shipping on the old exhaust for them to inspect it before they send you a new one. Not worth the time. Kinda like that commercial is the car reliable or the warranty???
Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks View Post
I've had them warranty them out, but you have to jump through the hoops and pay return shipping on the old exhaust for them to inspect it before they send you a new one. Not worth the time. Kinda like that commercial is the car reliable or the warranty???
I will see what I can do the Milltek w/o resonator was one I did look at, too.
Maybe I should just get an intake!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM