Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dash Command data log graphs

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Hey SL,

Be glad to give you a hand. E-mail me your .lgf files and I'll take a look. Before you do I'd only ask that you make a few changes to your logging procedures that might help. I'd get rid of outside air temp. For logging purposes it's only useful for evaluating FMIC efficiency. Same goes for EGT, it's really only necessary when evaluating a new tune to ensure you don't overtemp the valves. After that's done as long as AFR is good then EGT should be within limits. Than I'd suggest adding FRP and Absolute Load. Load will give you an idea of what the ECU is asking for and monitoring FRP is always a good idea when evaluation AFR issues. I normally only log 7 or 8 PIDS at once to help keep the capture rate high. I've noted that with the iPhone 6 I can change the interval to 200ms or less and get a pretty decent capture rate about the same as ScanXL Pro. I think I need a new cable for my ScanXL as I'm not getting MAF on it at all.
PM me with you email address so I can send the the log files from Saturday and later tonight, I lowered my OBD-II Response Timeout from 500 ms to 100 ms. We'll see if that makes a difference or not. My graph doesn't show everything I was logging, I'm not sure how to add other PIDs to the custom graph made by cerenkov that he kindly gave to me, I'll ask him how to add Absolute Load and FRP to the graph.

If you were to use the default graph I'm sure you would see the data your looking (not Absolute Load which I added) for that's not shown in my custom graph. I currently have the following PIDs selected, let me know if I need to get rid of some please, that's 9 PIDs. Could my AFR issue be with the fact that I have lambda wideband O2 sensor and Command air/fuel ratio PIDs monitoring at the same time? I leave for work at 5pm PST so I will do some logging on the way to work and now while it's still 85F.

Persistent PIDs turned off do to monitoring of other useless trip mileage monitoring, it was recommended it be turned off for those reasons and it will increase capture rate further.

SAE.MAF
CALC.BOOST_PRESSURE
SAE.FRP_C
CALC.AFR_ACTUAL
CALC.AFR_COMMANDED
SAE.LOAD_ABS added per your request, many others removed.
SAE.TP
SAE.SPARKADV
Air/Fuel ratio calculated from the actual lambda value from a wideband O2 sensor :1

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-17-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
when I was on dyno a few weeks back my actual AFR was pretty constant at 14.7 till the rpm went up as well as load and I was about 11.7-11.9 at wot in all 3 maps.

My reported AFR or demanded from ECU via the logs seems spot on with what actual wideband sensor.

I don't believe -6 PSI , maybe -6inches but -6 pounds would have collapsed your hoses.
You're tuned though, I'm on stock tune till my warranty runs out. Are you referring to the stock (pre-cat) wideband O2 sensor or an aftermarket wideband O2 sensor? I believe my AFR could be slightly off do to a failing pre-cat O2 sensor, but that's just a guess.

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-17-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
When you're logging with DashCommand use the "Data Grid" and select the PIDs that you want.

Then when you get home you can customize the graph to show the PIDs that you actually logged.

I've somewhat detailed how to modify the graphs to display the specific PIDs of interest in post #134.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3969032

Let me know if something doesn't make sense.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Dash Command data log graphs

You may have to play with the OBD II settings a bit. The sweet spot for my wifi adapter is 1000 ms for keep alive and 200 ms for time out.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (08-16-2018)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
When you're logging with DashCommand use the "Data Grid" and select the PIDs that you want.

Then when you get home you can customize the graph to show the PIDs that you actually logged.

I've somewhat detailed how to modify the graphs to display the specific PIDs of interest in post #134.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3969032

Let me know if something doesn't make sense.
I somehow completely missed that post, what a wealth of info! I'll go over it late tonight when I get home from work!

You may have to play with the OBD II settings a bit. The sweet spot for my wifi adapter is 1000 ms for keep alive and 200 ms for time out.
Using Galaxy S5 phone, Dash Command in Vehicle Tab, my OBD-II settings was set at 500ms originally which I lowered to 100ms to get better capture rates, are you now saying I should increase it to 1000? I'm using the OBDLink MX Bluetooth which supposed to be the fastest Bluetooth OBD II adapter available. You said you changed your iPhone 6 to an interval to 200ms or less, did you mean within Dash Command as far as changing the interval to 200ms?

Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member

Keep Alive may not even be applicable to Bluetooth as I'm not very familiar with it. In a wifi connection the TCP/IP protocol is used. The keep alive value determine how long an idle condition can occur without requesting a new TCP/IP socket. The response timeout determines how long Dashcommand will wait for a response before sending another query.

I did see 4° of timing pulled once and the AFR's looked a bit leaner than a stock S tune. The factory file is pretty lean already but since it uses very little timing advance it can normally get away with it.

Two other things I noted were that the load calculated by the ECU was below normal, never exceeding 174%. I would expect ~200% at WOT in third gear. In addition the MAF readings were lower than expected.

Load is usually calculated based on RPM, mass airflow, throttle position and a constant scalar. Your maximum MAF readings were at 14 lbs/min instead of the ~19 lbs expected. In other words the ECU is only seeing enough air going into the engine to make 140 HP at the crank. I'd look for an air leak between the MAF sensor and turbo inlet and I'd probably also clean the MAF sensor while I was at it.

bratling (08-16-2018)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Keep Alive may not even be applicable to Bluetooth as I'm not very familiar with it. In a wifi connection the TCP/IP protocol is used. The keep alive value determine how long an idle condition can occur without requesting a new TCP/IP socket. The response timeout determines how long Dashcommand will wait for a response before sending another query.

I did see 4° of timing pulled once and the AFR's looked a bit leaner than a stock S tune. The factory file is pretty lean already but since it uses very little timing advance it can normally get away with it.

Two other things I noted were that the load calculated by the ECU was below normal, never exceeding 174%. I would expect ~200% at WOT in third gear. In addition the MAF readings were lower than expected.

Load is usually calculated based on RPM, mass airflow, throttle position and a constant scalar. Your maximum MAF readings were at 14 lbs/min instead of the ~19 lbs expected. In other words the ECU is only seeing enough air going into the engine to make 140 HP at the crank. I'd look for an air leak between the MAF sensor and turbo inlet and I'd probably also clean the MAF sensor while I was at it.
I'll buy some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF sensor, check for secure connections between the MAF and the turbo inlet pipe and try logging again this weekend to see if things change for the better. Did you notice all your findings (leaner than stock S tune, low MAF readings, 4 degrees timing pulled etc.) on all 4 log files?

I'm relieved you found something wrong, because finding nothing wrong has been the norm since I purchased the 07 MCS 2 years ago. I always knew something was quite right! Third gear has always been kind of weak when it comes to pulling hard to get the car moving, first, second, four, fifth and sixth gears have always pulled hard and fast.

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-18-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member

The timing pull was in the last file where the timing dropped from 2 degrees to -2 at around 3500 rpm IIRC. The two most common leak sources are at the PCV/inlet tube interface and at the turbo inlet itself.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The timing pull was in the last file where the timing dropped from 2 degrees to -2 at around 3500 rpm IIRC. The two most common leak sources are at the PCV/inlet tube interface and at the turbo inlet itself.
I'm assuming timing is pulled when the ECU detects a lean fuel mixture.

I'll get one of those smoke tests done if cleaning my MAF proves unsuccessful if you're still seeing the same issues with my log files. If the smoke test finds nothing it might be time for a new MAF sensor if the readings are still low for what's expected. Can I clean the other sensor with the MAF cleaner located just above the oil dip stick on the plastic charge pipe? I believe from reading the Bentley Manual it reads the pressure and temperature of the air entering after the intercooler. What's the going rate for a smoke test anyway?

In your new coupe (6-speed manual) do you find 3rd gear to be a little short of breath as far as moving the Mini forward at a fast pace quickly like the other gears? When I'm in 3rd gear at any load I find that it doesn't have that launch capability that all of the other gears have, I can reach 12 psi so fast now in second gear after having my intake valves cleaned after 62,00 miles!

Thanks for helping me out thus far!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear

Tigger, do you have any idea on the typical MAF for manic stage 2+? Mine quickly flat lines at 23.4 on both map a and b and at various boost levels on both the stock turbo and now the JCW turbo.

I'm beginning to suspect that I'm actually maxing out the sensor. I've never seen it read higher.

Here are two logs, same day about 5 minutes apart, same gear (3rd) and you can see when I shift into 4th.

Last edited by cerenkov; 08-19-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I'm assuming timing is pulled when the ECU detects a lean fuel mixture.
The knock sensor on the back of the engine is basically a microphone. The ECU pulls timing when the signal from the knock sensor exceeds the threshold limit (amplitude) for a predetermined frequency range. Detonation in our engines occurs at approximately 7.4kHz. By analyzing the frequency of the noise received the ECU can discriminate between knock and other engine noises like valve train noise.

Can I clean the other sensor with the MAF cleaner located just above the oil dip stick on the plastic charge pipe? I believe from reading the Bentley Manual it reads the pressure and temperature of the air entering after the intercooler.
No need to clean the MAP sensor. There are two in the system and if one deviates too far from the other you will get a CEL.

In your new coupe (6-speed manual) do you find 3rd gear to be a little short of breath as far as moving the Mini forward at a fast pace quickly like the other gears?
Third gear is the one I use for dyno pulls as its the first gear where the torque limiter does'nt limit boost.

Originally Posted by cerenkov
Tigger, do you have any idea on the typical MAF for manic stage 2+? Mine quickly flat lines at 23.4 on both map a and b and at various boost levels on both the stock turbo and now the JCW turbo.
Per the Bosch spec sheet our MAF sensors are rated at 640 kg/h which equates to 23.5 lbs/min. However I have seen many MAF sensors read in the 24 to 25 lbs/min range. It's the luck of the draw as it were. I've attached Logs to illustrate.

Stock S Log

Stage 2+ S Log Map B

Stage 3+ S Map B

Stock JCW

Last edited by Tigger2011; 08-19-2015 at 05:30 PM.
bratling (08-16-2018)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Do you know of anyone that has come up with a replacement solution for a higher rated MAF.

I assume that the MAF table would have to be re-written.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member

Not that I'm aware of but it's something I'm looking into. Just scratching the surface really. The N14 MAF is based on the Bosch HMF 6 series. Specifically the HMF6-ID for the S, and HMF6-RP for the JCW. The N18 MAF is based on the HMF 7 series of sensors. The S gets an HMF7-IP but I haven't found a correlation for the JCW model yet.

To do it right on our vehicles will require a whole new intake system as any unit that flows more will be 3' or 3.5' in diameter. Then it will have to be calibrated. Theres actually two tables in the ECU for MAF calibration. One that covers the base response and one tailored to variations in the induction system used. On BMWs I've seen the same MAF used across different vehicles with the same engine and the 1x512 base table is the same but the 12x12 vehicle specific table is very different.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:57 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a 25+ reading off spritcar's Owens log

Old 08-21-2015, 12:07 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The knock sensor on the back of the engine is basically a microphone. The ECU pulls timing when the signal from the knock sensor exceeds the threshold limit (amplitude) for a predetermined frequency range. Detonation in our engines occurs at approximately 7.4kHz. By analyzing the frequency of the noise received the ECU can discriminate between knock and other engine noises like valve train noise.

No need to clean the MAP sensor. There are two in the system and if one deviates too far from the other you will get a CEL.

Third gear is the one I use for dyno pulls as its the first gear where the torque limiter does'nt limit boost.

Per the Bosch spec sheet our MAF sensors are rated at 640 kg/h which equates to 23.5 lbs/min. However I have seen many MAF sensors read in the 24 to 25 lbs/min range. It's the luck of the draw as it were. I've attached Logs to illustrate.
I cleaned my MAF sensor, the two metal plates were black before cleaning MAF sensor. Afterwords the metal plates in the opening of the MAF sensor were clearly visible.

I also want to ask you if it's preferred when I log this weekend if I should maintain 5500-6000 RPMs for a longer period of time than just a short, brief second so perhaps my sensor data can catch up and I can get more accurate readings from all my sensors when viewed on the graphs?

Reason I ask is because today I reached 19 lb/min except for the fact that it was recorded after my absolute load percentage dropped to 29% do to the fact I was forced to let off the throttle. This picture of a single frame from my graph isn't worth a thousand words, just showing I reached 19 lb/min.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Thanks,
Systemlord.

Attached Thumbnails Dash Command data log graphs-maf-graph.jpg   Dash Command data log graphs-maf-graph-2.jpg  

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-21-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member

You have mail.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
You have mail.
I assumed they might be from an N18, I finished editing my post above after your post. Please have a look as it's been changed. I'll send you my logs after the weekend, I'm going to do at least 8 logs since it took 1 out of 4 to see there was reason for concern.

Thanks Tigger2011,
Systemlord.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member

A couple of straight pulls from 2500rpm to 6K+ in third gear is fine. Grab a few rowing thru the gears and send them to me as well. We can handle the rest by email so as to not clutter the thread.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did anything get figured out Systemlord?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
did anything get figured out Systemlord?
I logged some files on Saturday and Monday, sent the files to Tigger2011 for viewing. I'm sure he will get to it when he has time, I've been pretty busy myself lately. I sent 5 log files in Non-Sport Mode and 3-4 in Sport Mode. I did notice reaching in the 11's while in Sport Mode which I don't see in Non-Sport Mode.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Hey SL,

I reviewed the non-sport logs but can't find the e-mail with the sport logs. If you can resend those that would be great. My apologies as last week was nuts for me. Finally got some free time and took a look at the logs. The non-sport logs look good. If you look at the one from 12:27 and the one from 12:36 you'll see AFR's in the low 11's upper 10's with 5 degrees timing and 20 lbs/min. Didn't see any pulled timing. When you hit the rev limiter your MAF and load will flat-line as the ECU pulls back.

BTW are you running a catch can yet? If not I strongly recommend one. Every Mini I've ever pulled the boost side PCV line on had oil in it. When oil mist gets pulled into the intake charge it kills your effective octane and will cause knock. A good catch can is cheap insurance. Dealer shouldn't give you a hard time over it either unless they're a committed misanthrope.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Hey SL,

I reviewed the non-sport logs but can't find the e-mail with the sport logs. If you can resend those that would be great. My apologies as last week was nuts for me. Finally got some free time and took a look at the logs. The non-sport logs look good. If you look at the one from 12:27 and the one from 12:36 you'll see AFR's in the low 11's upper 10's with 5 degrees timing and 20 lbs/min. Didn't see any pulled timing. When you hit the rev limiter your MAF and load will flat-line as the ECU pulls back.

BTW are you running a catch can yet? If not I strongly recommend one. Every Mini I've ever pulled the boost side PCV line on had oil in it. When oil mist gets pulled into the intake charge it kills your effective octane and will cause knock. A good catch can is cheap insurance. Dealer shouldn't give you a hard time over it either unless they're a committed misanthrope.
No OCC, but that might change soon! I'm probably sucking in more oil mist in 3rd gear than any other gear because it never happens in other gears, the oil mist must be all cleared out after a long harder pull that by the time I go into 4th gear, there's less oil mist to enter the engine, I'm just guessing here. I was starting to wonder why my MAF and Absolute Load readings dropped off a steep slope all of a sudden. I was surprised to see max boost hold on as long as it did with this smaller turbos 37mm compressor! Wait till you see my timing in Sport Mode!

Email sent.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:03 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Systemlord,

Have you decide which OCC?

Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cerenkov, i saw that thread a while back, actually its really good but i think that company is having problems internally, that is why i am holding back, for now. What about you? Do you have an OCC? Which one?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Dash Command data log graphs