Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We're slowly expanding the data pool and collecting data as we go. Next up I'm looking to trade cars with a 2011 for a few days to determine what is different with the MAF startup routines. If anyone knows anyone in socal who wants to drive a 2013 for a couple days have them email me.

For boost monitoring you can also kick boost over to the fuel gauge which will read from 10psi (empty) to 20psi (full) in 1 bar increments. I've added an option to the latest CT firmware to also have an option to show PSI from 10psi to 26psi in the speed for those running higher boost values.

Also for those helping test the JB+ keep in mind for BETA we generally discourage public discussion of BETA products for various reasons. I won't be checking in here often so be sure to continue email correspondence with me.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We're slowly expanding the data pool and collecting data as we go. Next up I'm looking to trade cars with a 2011 for a few days to determine what is different with the MAF startup routines. If anyone knows anyone in socal who wants to drive a 2013 for a couple days have them email me.

For boost monitoring you can also kick boost over to the fuel gauge which will read from 10psi (empty) to 20psi (full) in 1 bar increments. I've added an option to the latest CT firmware to also have an option to show PSI from 10psi to 26psi in the speed for those running higher boost values.

Also for those helping test the JB+ keep in mind for BETA we generally discourage public discussion of BETA products for various reasons. I won't be checking in here often so be sure to continue email correspondence with me.
Can't wait 'till all the kinks are worked out! To the BETA testers, I guess you guys gotta keep quiet for a while.

Either way, keep up the R&D and let's see the JB+ out on the market!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:30 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimechusa
Hi i have the system installed on my MINI aswell, shes a build date 12/2011 MINI Cooper S Coupe. Some mods done are 2.5 exhaust, FMIC, Forge Recirc valve, JCW stage 1 conical intake and lots more overall, Methanol injection is my next step. Attachment 79288 The Yellow line is boost i am peaking at 18psi and it drops a touch as i go through the rpm range. The pull is from 2000 rpm up to 6500 rpm.
how did you manage to get a JB+ all the way from TN? and i also wanted to ask - i assume your 12/2011 build is a 2012 car?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
It is a 12 technically and I asked! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Also my car is a Manual Transmission!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 AM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Terry needs to test more CM's, heck any CM All4's tested?

Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
The problem with finding testers is finding the people who don't care about modding cars to play with them, I had my car a week before the exhaust and intercooler were swapped in favor of different unit and then it started lol I have had my car apart a half dozen times for various things. Most regular Drivers are not willing to take a leap and test something -pyrrhusmj if you know someone with a CM who's willing point them in the right direction.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
As a rotor head first and foremost if it can be messed with I will!!! I explored a ton of stuff with my RX-7's and I found a guy herein TN with a N54 BMW and got to see that JB tuner in action. It's amazing the night and day difference in his BMW and its night and day in my MINI. I'm extremely happy Terry and the guys at BMS are tackling the MINI!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jomama
how did you manage to get a JB+ all the way from TN? and i also wanted to ask - i assume your 12/2011 build is a 2012 car?
He's actually not testing a JB+. He's testing an early Stage1. But that has a lot more work to go before it's ready for public testing.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimechusa
The problem with finding testers is finding the people who don't care about modding cars to play with them, I had my car a week before the exhaust and intercooler were swapped in favor of different unit and then it started lol I have had my car apart a half dozen times for various things. Most regular Drivers are not willing to take a leap and test something -pyrrhusmj if you know someone with a CM who's willing point them in the right direction.
I understand and the CM community does not appear to be as quick to mod. If Terry is willing to take on another remote tester, I am game. I have reservations about piggybacks, but that us because I have only had ecu tunes in the past.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
I understand and the CM community does not appear to be as quick to mod. If Terry is willing to take on another remote tester, I am game. I have reservations about piggybacks, but that us because I have only had ecu tunes in the past.
Actually there are probably two willing to take the risk just in my neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Awesome!! I'd say email Terry and see if you guys can work something out!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Right now we're looking for local early adopters only. But worry not, when we're ready to expand I'll be sure to throw up a post.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
FWIW....I had a chance to take jomama's R56 for a spin the other day with the JB+...

Overall I was quite impressed, for what is only 15-16psi of boost, it really hauls. Boost comes on smooth and power delivery is pretty seemless. The CAN stuff with the gauges is pretty interesting, never really seen anything like it. I'd prefer to have an actual device that reads out data (like the AP does), rather than relying on the speedo pointer for all your data, but is pretty interesting & cool none the less.

The only thing that kinda leaves me wondering is the fact that you are just essentially fooling the ECU by altering MAF sensor signals, you are relying on the stock ECU mapping to compensate with the increased boost levels. On the dyno Terry posted you can see how lean it runs on the JB runs...leaner than stock up till about 4k. Yes I know its DI, yes I know they can run leaner than typical, and yes I know the ECU's are highly adaptive...but these are things that interested folks should be concerned about, which I noticed not a single person even asked or commented on. Not at all questioning Terry or the product (his product is highly successful and respected in the BMW world)...as I said before, everything I experienced in jomama's car was great, just point out my observations and thoughts.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:08 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost looks like there's a closed loop - open loop delay. lol brings me back to my subaru tuning days.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 AM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Add another person to the CM wish list Some of us CM owners do like to MOD

Located in St. Louis, MO....

Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
ThumperMCS, I have talked with Terry about my concern with early lean condition. His response is this is par for the course with Di BMW's. I will take his word for it as the car seems to not detonate and or pull any timing. I am running a small amount of E85 and the car still behaves the same at lower rpm high load situtations which is good. At this point I would not second guess him.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
PinkMiso
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just in case anyone isn't familiar, Terry's products and customer service are unparalleled in the bmw community. For what you get, BMS prices very fairly and continues to support their products for a long time to come. If they released this for the n14 i would have no qualms dropping my accessport for it. Sure, in some ways a flash could be seen as preferable to piggyback and chris at alta is top notch as well but between the past 2 setups i've run, unichip and accessport, i've grown leary of dropping the coin on something that seems to only be a limited run with no future support.

Terry, if you are reading this i am experimenting with an additional inline pump to run an e85 blend, would love to have you on board with the n14's if it is at all feasible for you guys

Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Are you referring to this map from the N18 thread?

If so, it doesn't appear to be THAT much leaner, in fact it looks like the real difference is from 3000-3500rpms.
yes, he is. it's really tough to see any details on that chart. i can't tell which line is which color on the AFR chart. hopefully it reads as you suggest. =)

Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Random question. Do any of the can tool cables work with ncsexpert?

Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bmx045
Almost looks like there's a closed loop - open loop delay. lol brings me back to my subaru tuning days.
It runs closed loop full time but also has a "lean spool" mode. Higher boost targets mean it runs leaner longer during spool. All perfectly normal. With DI motors they run them as close to stoich as possible to maintain economy even under boost. At higher RPM where addl EGT reduction is needed then they richen it up.

The JB+ is working off the factory mapped timing and AFR tables for a given boost level.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
Thought i would run the JB at the 3 Oclock position with 25% E85 blend and wow does the cooper rip.. The car also benefits from a ebay step intercooler and a 2.5in CNT exhaust...The factory ecu logic for boost tables in I-2 gear seem to be limited to 14psi which is good as boost builds faster and traction would be a problem without the limitation. So the overall driving behavior has not changed until you get into boost. Third and forth gear pull really hard, I would expect the car to be making at least 240ft tq from 3k to 5k rpm. Btw no issue with KR throughout the rpm including low rpm high load situations. Anyways thought I would share my experience so far with the JB.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:45 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Azminispeedin
Thought i would run the JB at the 3 Oclock position with 25% E85 blend and wow does the cooper rip.. The car also benefits from a ebay step intercooler and a 2.5in CNT exhaust...The factory ecu logic for boost tables in I-2 gear seem to be limited to 14psi which is good as boost builds faster and traction would be a problem without the limitation. So the overall driving behavior has not changed until you get into boost. Third and forth gear pull really hard, I would expect the car to be making at least 240ft tq from 3k to 5k rpm. Btw no issue with KR throughout the rpm including low rpm high load situations. Anyways thought I would share my experience so far with the JB.
3 o'clock is exactly where mine has been at.
18psi under heavy load, big difference right?! Lol

Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Any updates Terry?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)