Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Factory JCW rear muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM
sixer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory JCW rear muffler question

I think I have finally decided on ordering the factory JCW rear muffler exhaust while keeping the stock second cat and resonator on my 2012 s. I had considered ordering the nm eng cat back, but after seeing the high pitch problem not being resolved, that one is out of the running. I almost pulled the trigger on the magnaflow, but I feel my girlfriend will end up complaining about the drone that people seem to complain of, so, i figured the jcw rear muffler would be a good compromise because I love the sound note it produces, without being overly loud. I had also considered the challenge muffler just because of how nice i thought it sounded, but feel that one would even be too loud for my taste.

Anyways, I am just a little confused on what part or parts I would need. I understand my stock exhaust pipe will be cut after the second cat, and resonator, but, I am not sure of what parts for the fjcw I need to order. From what I can tell, its part # 18307646678 for the muffler itself. I was also wondering if I would need to order these other parts:

CLAMPING BUSH D=55MM
Hex bolt M8X36-8.8-ZNS3
Bracket for rear silencer, left
Bracket, rear muffler right
Rubber Mounting(x2)

Those are the part #'s to the jcw exhaust from realoem and sewell
http://mini.sewellparts.com/oem-cata...WLCI-2012.html

I was really wondering if I can use the current stock brackets and rubber mounting pieces that are already on my 2012 mcs(I assume I will need to order the clamp to clamp the new muffler to where the stock exhaust is cut), or if I would need to order all of the parts listed?

If someone would be able to clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you dont need brackets, rubber(hangers), bolts, the oem stuff remains there. only thing you need is the 55mm clamp and you're done.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 AM
sixer
2nd Gear
Thanks! I was thinking that was the case but I just wanted to clarify prior to ordering

Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 PM
sixer
2nd Gear
one other quick question. After thinking about it, i am thinking of having the resonator removed while having the muffler installed(keeping second cat for smog in ca). With knowing that I will probably remove the resonator, should I still order the same clamp? Or just hope wherever I get the exhaust work done that they will have the correct size clamp(depending on the size of the pipe they use where the resonator was is my concern if the same clamp would still work)?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
exhaust shops typically weld their connections. you should get the clamp tho for the jcw portion since that pipe is designed to slip over the midpipe....however if their removing the resonator and welding their own pipe in it would make sense to just weld everything

Old 03-20-2014, 04:09 AM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Just wondering if you ever did this and the results.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
with my 12 mcs i ordered the fjcw muffler and went to a local exhaust shop had them cut my resonator off and did a 2.25in pipe to the fjcw muffler, honestly i love the sound of it, the pops are amazing, and there is no drone at all on the highway..

Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Thanks. I have an 07 so no pops for me, unfortunately. My resonator is already out, so I'm thinking of getting this muffler, take out the 2nd cat and have them weld it all together.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
JONNYBOY
1st Gear
hey DOtheDEW
did you ever drive it with just the jcw muffler on and the resonator? I also bought the jcw muffler for my 13' S and I love the sound! however at 3k rpm and on highways I have ridiculous drone. I also wanted to get it welded on because I figured maybe the clamp was casing a drone, but if you have the resonator off and you have no drone maybe I can try that too. so I guess my question is did it drone before you took the resonator off or did you do it all at once.

Last edited by JONNYBOY; 03-23-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
The job of the resonator is to stop drone.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
I did it all at once and got it welded, it's probably much louder without the resonator so if your worried about drone I'd keep it in

Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Darn you N18 guys and pops.

I noticed a pleasantly louder exhaust note on throttle with a secondary cat delete and high flow resonator cut and welded in place of the stock bits. Nearly stock quite at highway cruise.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:25 AM
sycd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JONNYBOY
hey DOtheDEW did you ever drive it with just the jcw muffler on and the resonator? I also bought the jcw muffler for my 13' S and I love the sound! however at 3k rpm and on highways I have ridiculous drone. I also wanted to get it welded on because I figured maybe the clamp was casing a drone, but if you have the resonator off and you have no drone maybe I can try that too. so I guess my question is did it drone before you took the resonator off or did you do it all at once.
Did you ever get rid of your drone. I have a jcw exhaust ready to be installed on my 13 MCS, and trying to figure out if I should keep the resonator.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:00 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
I personally liked it with the resonator out, but that's just me, I also have taked out the 2nd cat and put a de-catted downpipe in so it's much louder now and drones way more and still doesn't bother me.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 AM
JONNYBOY
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sycd
Did you ever get rid of your drone. I have a jcw exhaust ready to be installed on my 13 MCS, and trying to figure out if I should keep the resonator.

ok so I ended up putting the stock exhaust back on, as much as I LOVED the sound of the jcw, cuz I was doing a lot of highway driving and the drone bothered me. so wen I had the stock one back on I was hearing drone with that too just not as loud. so ive come to the conclusion that because I cut the exhaust in my driveway with a dremel and didn't really measure much (yea I was in a rush cuz i was so excited to hear it) that the pipes weren't properly sitting in the clamp and blah blah blah which is wat probably caused the drone. my advice... get the car up on a lift, measure properly, cut a straight clean line with a proper tool, and weld the pipes together (in my opinion it would probably be a lot better than the clamp and would help the drone) otherwise use the clamp, if you cant do any of these, get it professionally done. good luck, let me know how it works out.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM
sycd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DOtheDEW
I personally liked it with the resonator out, but that's just me, I also have taked out the 2nd cat and put a de-catted downpipe in so it's much louder now and drones way more and still doesn't bother me.
You are brave! I think I'm too getting old for that type of sound level though, I would probably get kicked out of my town as well.

Originally Posted by JONNYBOY
ok so I ended up putting the stock exhaust back on, as much as I LOVED the sound of the jcw, cuz I was doing a lot of highway driving and the drone bothered me. so wen I had the stock one back on I was hearing drone with that too just not as loud. so ive come to the conclusion that because I cut the exhaust in my driveway with a dremel and didn't really measure much (yea I was in a rush cuz i was so excited to hear it) that the pipes weren't properly sitting in the clamp and blah blah blah which is wat probably caused the drone. my advice... get the car up on a lift, measure properly, cut a straight clean line with a proper tool, and weld the pipes together (in my opinion it would probably be a lot better than the clamp and would help the drone) otherwise use the clamp, if you cant do any of these, get it professionally done. good luck, let me know how it works out.
Thanks for the update and advice, good info. I considered doing it myself first, but the mini being so low and with cutting involved, I'll be taking it to a local shop for installation.

Just curious: did the JCW pipe slide on the stock pipe after cutting? If one doesn't slide on the other I can see why there could be a higher risk for drone and exhaust leaks without welding.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sycd
Just curious: did the JCW pipe slide on the stock pipe after cutting? If one doesn't slide on the other I can see why there could be a higher risk for drone and exhaust leaks without welding.

Depends on who you take it to I guess. The guy I had mine done at took expanded the end of the muffler pipe so it slid over the existing pipe, then welded together. I would imagine anybody that does custom muffler work would have this machine that bends pipe and expands the ends. Cost me $40 and the guy did an excellent job in about 25 minutes.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 AM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
why not get an OBX exhaust, you can have the full catless turbo back for less than the JCW exhaust and it sounds a lot better

HAHAHAHA

this is a year old thread, whos necroing these threads XD

Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Go crap in some other thread.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:59 AM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jlobb2
Go crap in some other thread.
What's wrong with asking questions? Maybe I'm genuine with my question? Did that ever occur to you?

Why don't you make your own thread and tell people what to do. If OP wants me gone, I'll leave but you aren't OP.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:39 AM
WhiteSilverMCS
2nd Gear
without removing the resonator its a little quiet still.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by luigi90210
What's wrong with asking questions? Maybe I'm genuine with my question? Did that ever occur to you?

Why don't you make your own thread and tell people what to do. If OP wants me gone, I'll leave but you aren't OP.
You didn't ask a question, you offered your opinion. This thread is about the JCW exhaust, not what exhaust should OP get. The guy that revived this post already has a JCW exhaust.

What does HAHAHAHA offer to this thread? Nothing.
What does pointing out that the thread was dug up have to do with anything? The guy wants to know how the OP's experience is. Nothing wrong with that.
Bye.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM
WhiteSilverMCS
2nd Gear
whoever is buying the muffler, just do the resonator delete. It seriously isn't even that loud.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:34 PM
sycd
1st Gear
Ok I just had the fJCW muffler installed (not the tuning kit one) on my Cooper S, decided to keep everything else stock to start with, and used a clamp for installation.

Good news is that the inside volume of the exhaust seems roughly the same during casual driving. No drone I could hear at highway speeds. I've had bad experiences with drone on my previous M3 and other cars, and hate it.

First impressions is that the tone of the exhaust sounds much better especially in the upper rpm range, and the exhaust is a bit deeper at light throttle. So far pretty much inline with what I expected and I'm happy, but don't go that route if you want a lot louder than stock.