Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Standard motor 380CC injectors

Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
You guys are awesome and brilliant. I'm hoping to upgrade to 380cc injectors soon and was appalled by the prices. The wife might be more inclined to let me spend the money now! Haha. Thanks for doing the research and finding viable and affordable options for everyone! Kuddos.
It's our pleasure. I was also appalled by the cost of JCW units. I'll be honest. I was doing this research nearly a year before I even bought my R53. Coming from such easily and relatively cheaply "mod-able" cars in the past, I refused to spend $300 on used OEM injectors. I'm installing mine this week, and will be sure to give an initial and updated impression.

Lol I solved the issue, I was joking around.

HOPEFULLY I will have this settled down during the weekend, and soon head to WMW, I'm 3 hours away, for a tune in November.
I know you were. Keep us posted on results.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Well, I installed my Bosch 380cc (373cc) injectors, Part # 0280158096.
I've run them for about 60 miles of mixed driving so far. First impression is the car is smoother and a bit stronger down low, but rich up top, which is what I expected. No issues idling, no CEL, nothing abnormal really. Only install hiccup was already known, and that was intercooler interference with the injector clips due to using adapters. Easily solved with 1/4" of washers on each top corner of the intercooler.

Is it worth it ? Well, I can't definitively say. I've never logged my AFR's or IDC when I was running the stock 340cc units, and knowing those things would tell someone if they actually need to upgrade injectors. At this point, for me, I'd say no. Like others have experienced with the 15% pulley, I'm running too rich up top and feel like I've lost some power. No news flash here, but a tune is certainly required to make more power.

Last night I went on an Interwebz quest to find out what some R53 owners were seeing in terms of AFR with different set-ups. I looked at Dyno sheets, I looked at posts. I found an interesting post where a member who had a wideband O2 sensor documented his AFR's before and after adding 380cc injectors.

With a 15% pulley, intake, catless header, catback exhaust, and stock 340cc injectors, he was seeing 11.0 to 11.2 AFR @ WOT & 6200 RPM. That's solid, and IMO, a good place to be on a forced induction car. Ideally 11.5, but we're splitting hairs. Good power, decent mileage, and very safe. I like to see anywhere from 11.2 to 11.8 on my cars. Based on his AFR, you could trim fuel a bit on stock 340's, and still be very safe while making good power. I understand that this will vary from car-to-car. Just food for thought.

After he added 380cc injectors untuned, he was seeing 10.2 to 10.6 AFR. That's overly rich, and you're leaving a lot of power on the table. Not so rich it's dangerous to cats or cylinder washing, but it's just too rich for good power.

Last edited by TheBigChill; 10-18-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 AM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i should be "i hope" getting my jcw210 tune next wednesday/thursday, as i experienced the same experience as you bigchill... i felt like the car seems smoother but up top im not sure wht rich feels like but it def feels a bit "flat", so i hope i can get the tune in and they work well together... then ill be happy

Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had my 380cc injectors in for a while without a tune (not for lack of trying), but I order the DimSport Programmer from Jan the other day and should at least have a canned tune, sometime next week.

I do have access to a AFR, would you like to the weld it in and get you #'s?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c0op3r
I have had my 380cc injectors in for a while without a tune (not for lack of trying), but I order the DimSport Programmer from Jan the other day and should at least have a canned tune, sometime next week.

How does the purchase of the DimSport Programmer work in regards to the Tune? Do you have to pay for the tune separate or do you get it for free when you buy the programmer?

Seems like it would be pretty expensive to buy the programmer and then have to purchase a tune separately.

BTW, how long have you been running the 380cc injectors without a tune?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Originally Posted by youloze
How does the purchase of the DimSport Programmer work in regards to the Tune? Do you have to pay for the tune separate or do you get it for free when you buy the programmer?

Seems like it would be pretty expensive to buy the programmer and then have to purchase a tune separately.

BTW, how long have you been running the 380cc injectors without a tune?
Well buying the Programmer is kinda expensive and I did not want to do it, but that is another story. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OWN THIS BOX, but if you want to do remote tunes or have more than one tune you need it, or you have to have access directly to the the tuner.

SOOooooo in my case I do not have access directly to the tuner, I live in Florida he lives in California, but with the box, I can Download my firmware and send it via email to him with data (ie Dyno info AFR info etc) and he can send back a tune.

The box stores a total of 10 Maps.

So I am going to be getting a 'canned' map at first and YES this does cost in addition to the box, but the advantage is that I can keep and store multiple maps, in my case:

• Stock Map
  • Canned Map
  • Custom Map
  • Custom Map for Meth/Water
I can change them at will also.

I have been running the 380cc Injectors for about 2 months without a tune.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
Well buying the Programmer is kinda expensive and I did not want to do it, but that is another story. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OWN THIS BOX, but if you want to do remote tunes or have more than one tune you need it, or you have to have access directly to the the tuner.

SOOooooo in my case I do not have access directly to the tuner, I live in Florida he lives in California, but with the box, I can Download my firmware and send it via email to him with data (ie Dyno info AFR info etc) and he can send back a tune.

The box stores a total of 10 Maps.

So I am going to be getting a 'canned' map at first and YES this does cost in addition to the box, but the advantage is that I can keep and store multiple maps, in my case:

• Stock Map
  • Canned Map
  • Custom Map
  • Custom Map for Meth/Water
I can change them at will also.

I have been running the 380cc Injectors for about 2 months without a tune.
Oh yeah I understand all about remote tunes, I just wanted clarification on whether or not you have to pay for a canned tune. Seems excessive especially since when I had my WRX and STi Cobb offered many different canned tunes for free with the purchase of the programmer.

IMO $600-800 is way too much for a canned tune.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear

Well, yeah, if you like. I certainly would like to see what AFR's other untuned folks are getting. I'm about to buy and install an AEM Uego Wideband setup, as I've had them in five or so other forced induction cars.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 AM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
Well, yeah, if you like. I certainly would like to see what AFR's other untuned folks are getting. I'm about to buy and install an AEM Uego Wideband setup, as I've had them in five or so other forced induction cars.

yeah that is the one my buddy has with the box gauge, I am going to get the Innovative one with the Serial output.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
yeah that is the one my buddy has with the box gauge, I am going to get the Innovative one with the Serial output.
Sounds like he has the NGK AFX gauge & controller.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the AM WB sensor/gauge, so I'll post some before/after data when I get some 380's.

My RMW tune showed it running down to about 11.4 before running out of fuel at ~6600 RPM. That was back in Dec. 2007.

I just put an OBX header & Mag Cat combo on so I'll be interested to see what happens. The OEM manifold cracked at the pre-CAT so I had to finally put it on. I was surprised how much the leak affected the O2 reading. It was hard to get a rich reading at all, and I thought the sensor may have gone south. I just today got the OBX/CAT connection to stop leaking and the reading looks close to normal again.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 PM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Just had my jcw210 flash and it works great with my injectors ... Car runs super smooth

Old 10-25-2013, 06:39 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vietnameeh
Just had my jcw210 flash and it works great with my injectors ... Car runs super smooth
Did you local dealer do it for you? I struck out with mine. If so, where are you located?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 PM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
yes they did you can pm me dont want to hijack this thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
yes they did you can pm me dont want to hijack this thread
For sure, PM incoming.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:11 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
just ordered the genisis 380s from eurocode ill update when i install to let you guys know how it goes.... after that a tune!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
whatever happen the manny cooper?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GreekDrifter91
just ordered the genisis 380s from eurocode ill update when i install to let you guys know how it goes.... after that a tune!
Very interested in results before the tune. Please report your findings.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:23 PM
GreekDrifter91
5th Gear
Originally Posted by youloze
Very interested in results before the tune. Please report your findings.

Thanks!
i will just be getting jcw210 from the dealer but i will still report in befor and after between stock tune and jcw.

whatever happen the manny cooper?
what?

Old 11-07-2013, 06:59 PM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Manny cooper has injectors he was suppose to put on....

Btw youloze I have the genesis injectors

Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
Manny cooper has injectors he was suppose to put on....

Btw youloze I have the genesis injectors
Yeah I know, I've talked to you about them :-) Just looking for some more real world experience.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
No reason to avoid the Bosch 0280158096 units. Virtually identical to JCW in every significant respect. I bought mine w/ 5k miles on them for next-to-nothing. They've been in a month now with zero issue. Though, Genesis 380's are fine too.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM
youloze
3rd Gear
No reason to avoid the Bosch 0280158096 units. Virtually identical to JCW in every significant respect. I bought mine w/ 5k miles on them for next-to-nothing. They've been in a month now with zero issue. Though, Genesis 380's are fine too.
They just seem fairly tough to find new though. Which is the main reason I will be going with the Genesis injectors.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM
dhabutcher
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Started

[QUOTE=TheBigChill;3815823]DHA:
Grab the Genesis 415cc injectors for small port 1.8T. They will spray 440cc at 3.5bar, and have the correct size and pattern. I have a line on a set for $175 if you're interested.

The clutch, LSD, all coolant hoses, shift cables, new brakes project is done, Got the car off jacks and started today with the Genesis 415 injectors,

Car fired right up,Got some exhaust work to do and it off to the track saturday

Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 PM
youloze
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=dhabutcher;3840825]
DHA:
Grab the Genesis 415cc injectors for small port 1.8T. They will spray 440cc at 3.5bar, and have the correct size and pattern. I have a line on a set for $175 if you're interested.

The clutch, LSD, all coolant hoses, shift cables, new brakes project is done, Got the car off jacks and started today with the Genesis 415 injectors,

Car fired right up,Got some exhaust work to do and it off to the track saturday
Are you running the 415cc's without a tune? Seems like a little too much fuel to be running without a tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Standard motor 380CC injectors