Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Forge Blow Off Adaptor For Cooper S Turbo

Old 06-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge Blow Off Adaptor For Cooper S Turbo

I've seen post of people running this on their MINI... But can anyone attest as to whether or not it is worth it?

Is there an increased blow off sound over the already increased sound I gained from installing my NM Intake?

Are there any gains from the BOV decreasing the amount of high temp air entering the turbo?

And lastly, has this product triggered anyone's CEL?

It seems fairly priced, and I'm willing to purchase for sound increase alone, but would like to see somewhat of a performance benefit.

Thanks...

Old 06-15-2013, 05:15 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
I had one of these installed on my 2012 MCS along with the NM intake. The sound it puts out is loud, a little bit louder than running just the intake alone. The main difference between the two was that the sound was just a tad different in tone. Performance gains were non existent, but it did not throw a CEL on the N18 engine.

I had it installed for quite about 5 months. The sound got on my nerves, a bit too much for me. I just recently removed it and replaced the entire diverter valve with Forge's piston style recirculating diverter valve kit for the N18 (P/N: FMDVR60R). This kit with the NM intake is much quieter than even a completely stock setup, and I enjoy it.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The main reason most factory turbo cars have valves that recirculate air into the engine(which honestly, hot air blowing into the intake side is bad for performance, whether a blow off[or adapter] shows noticeable gains or no), is noise. Most typical car buyers/daily drivers are like Tony above me. They don't want to hear noises. I personally don't mind the noise, will do anything I can(within reasonable prices) for my engine's longevity and performance to meet my needs. It is a very loud blow off sound compared to some aftermarket boost-pipe-mounted valves, but I like it. Do a youtube search if you must before buying.

For the price, knowing I don't get a burst of hot air going into the cold side of my engine every time I come out of boost makes me happy. And the sound is to my personal liking.

As for CEL's, none. I've had it on since the beginning of February and haven't gotten one.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Thanks guys. Good to get input from two different point a views... I will probably go for it. It is an affordable farthers day gift for myself LOL...

Again thanks....

Old 12-26-2013, 06:07 AM
j3ffng
Neutral
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise
I had one of these installed on my 2012 MCS along with the NM intake. The sound it puts out is loud, a little bit louder than running just the intake alone. The main difference between the two was that the sound was just a tad different in tone. Performance gains were non existent, but it did not throw a CEL on the N18 engine.

I had it installed for quite about 5 months. The sound got on my nerves, a bit too much for me. I just recently removed it and replaced the entire diverter valve with Forge's piston style recirculating diverter valve kit for the N18 (P/N: FMDVR60R). This kit with the NM intake is much quieter than even a completely stock setup, and I enjoy it.
Hi Tony, just want to reconfirm on the above quote. I have the NM intake installed on my 2012 MCS and stock valve. It's automatic transmission, it's really loud when i am on the pedal and the pressure release sound keeps coming when ever i go lighter on the pedal. It's very annoying as the pressure release sound can keep going and going if i step lightly on the pedal (is like boosting and releasing at the same time) and it will only go away should i step harder on the pedal (full boost).

I also have RaceChip (piggy back ECU tuning) installed which supposingly increase my boost slightly. Anyway, the Forge diverter kit does makes things quieter for your ride with NM you saying?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:41 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
I like the whistling toot of my Forge re-circ valve. That combined with a DOS CAI, is a symphony for my 60 year young ears.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM
cranker625
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ I agree, a peppy turbo that doesn't whistle just doesn't seem right.

On a separate note, I wish there is a sound clip of the forge BOV + NM/DOS/whatever intake combination.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
Look on You tube…

Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Got mine installed today, haven't had a chance to go for a ride yet. When I do tomorrow I'll give you my feedback on how it performs when compared to stock.

Last edited by Systemlord; 01-03-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I had a good long awesome drive through the canyons in my area (Cleveland National Forest) just north of San Diego, there's a lot of twisty sharp turns with long high speed turns in the middle.

Now for the Forge diverter valve feedback (recirculation valve), what a hyperactive turbo! Whenever I would shift gears, when I was back on the gas pedal the turbo was just waiting for me almost as if it hadn't lost any boost. It almost seemed as though my stock valve never fully closed during boost, that's just the way it felt after trying out the Forge valve.

The Forge diverter valve increases the response of your turbo just like they say it does, the best bang for your buck mod for the money period! I'd even say that perhaps the Forge valve is even more noticeable than my Borla S-Type exhaust system, that's my brother thought. He was there for both installs and the Forge valve has his attention vs the Borla exhaust.

I'm sure both play there part, now I'm looking at a Evolve-R and their 200 cel sport DP/cat. Removing the second cat as well and maybe my Borla resonator.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 AM
dorykiki
2nd Gear
check engine light on with the bov recirc n18

I installed it last week and keep getting the check engine light in the morning
scanned the fault and it showed me fault code :28BD , throttle valve actuator, closing spring check.
did you guuys like me had to shave part of the electric plug of the kit for it to fit?please I need help thank you

Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 AM
j3ffng
Neutral
Originally Posted by dorykiki
I installed it last week and keep getting the check engine light in the morning
scanned the fault and it showed me fault code :28BD , throttle valve actuator, closing spring check.
did you guuys like me had to shave part of the electric plug of the kit for it to fit?please I need help thank you
Hi. Yes I have just installed my forge DV for N18. And as mention I have NM intake and Racechip and this DV sweeten the sound.. No more annoying leaking hissing noise when accelerate and definitely I can feel more boost and power. I did a 0-100 and it's 6.4S.. A good 1.2S off from factory claimed 7.6S. Mine is automatic gear Mini Cooper S.

In reply to your question, yes I have to shave off the connector to fit it. And its working beautifully. Have you connect the connector? Engine light should be due to connection not established.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Mini R56
1st Gear
Dont do it if you have the n14 motor... no matter what you do on any mini motor you will throw a CEL... the n14 will go into limp mode (no boost) until you take it out... these systems are very touchy and when they don't get the proper boost recirculated they let you know... there is no remedy for the CEL...

don't get the adaptor and an upgraded BOV confused... the adaptor is trouble and comes from the Volkswagon Audi world... which works flawlessly on them and sounds awesome... however without going into detail, in my experience, if you have the n14 motor it will not work... I had one, it went on and off in 1 night and sent back for a refund... I cannot attest for the n18 motor, I have zero experience with that motor...

unfortunately the best "sound" upgrade will come from an intake as far as the diverter valve goes...

Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini R56
Dont do it if you have the n14 motor... no matter what you do on any mini motor you will throw a CEL... the n14 will go into limp mode (no boost) until you take it out... these systems are very touchy and when they don't get the proper boost recirculated they let you know... there is no remedy for the CEL...

don't get the adaptor and an upgraded BOV confused... the adaptor is trouble and comes from the Volkswagon Audi world... which works flawlessly on them and sounds awesome... however without going into detail, in my experience, if you have the n14 motor it will not work... I had one, it went on and off in 1 night and sent back for a refund... I cannot attest for the n18 motor, I have zero experience with that motor...

unfortunately the best "sound" upgrade will come from an intake as far as the diverter valve goes...
Are you retarded on purpose or by birth? I have had the adapter on mine for a year now with NO ill effects at all. Many others as well. I don't get why you think a company like Forge would put something out for the N14 that would do that? There would have to be other underlying issues when you put it on, or you don't ACTUALLY have experience with the Forge adapter on your N14.

Again, I have had it on my 07 for a year with zero negative side effects.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Hi guys, what is the part number for the N18?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini R56

Oh yeah, tell that to this guy with an N14 engine. ->

Last edited by Systemlord; 01-22-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 AM
j3ffng
Neutral
Originally Posted by TwinCoopers
Hi guys, what is the part number for the N18?
For N18 engine the part number is FMDVR60R. N18 engine for R60 is the same for the rest of N18 i.e. R56, etc.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
No problems on my N14 motor!

Sent from my XT926 using NAMotoring

Old 01-22-2014, 05:56 AM
Tabintab
2nd Gear
I had the Forge Valve on my MCS R56 & it throws a Cell after about 30 mins of driving. So I don't think the guy is retarded at all, as I can confirm this problem. I have checked my car with a code reader and my car is usually fine with no faults.

Also, the blow off sound sounds more like air leak than what I have heard on Scoobies & Evos.

Tab

Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Are you retarded on purpose or by birth? I have had the adapter on mine for a year now with NO ill effects at all. Many others as well. I don't get why you think a company like Forge would put something out for the N14 that would do that? There would have to be other underlying issues when you put it on, or you don't ACTUALLY have experience with the Forge adapter on your N14.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Mini R56
1st Gear

lol easy there spitfire!!!!! he asked if anyone had experience with them… I had woes… and did research and found out why… and posted in his thread… thats the point of this thread… to find out whats up with these things…

I had a rough time with it, because the n14 wants to see recirulated boost and the adaptor dumps it to the atmosphere… I threw the engine code (diverter valve error) and went into limp mode… it would only work for a few pulls IN MY EXPERIENCE…

If it works for some people awesome give it a shot… I recommend that you don't, this motor is not designed to run that way…

2008 MCS, Forged Pistons, Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, Custom Exhaust, Upgraded Diverter Valve Internals (Eliminated all BOV noise ), Alta Intake, Coil Overs, Upgraded Aluminum Turbo Inlet Pipe,

Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Are you sure you didn't do something else to it? Damage a sealing O-ring on re-install? Leave something unplugged or not fully tightened? Have a bad diaphragm on the diverter that just finally let itself go with the uninstall and reinstall process? I just have a hard time believing that a part I've been using for a year now that has caused no issues, causes issues on other engines of the same exact type. I don't get how or why that would be. Your 08 shouldn't have any different sensors of computer processes than my 07 in the grand scheme of things.

ALSO, as for "the engine wants to see the recirculated boost", false. These engines do not depend on the blown off, excess air to run properly. They run off a manifold pressure sensor AND MAF, and the blow off from the turbo does not recirculate in a way that metering it is dire in order to get the right fuel/air mix. The car will read whatever actual manifold pressure there is and adjust fuel from there. Because the MAF is not the sole means of measuring air entering the engine, that blown-off air does not NEED to end up back in the engine. The sensor on the intake manifold will see what's THERE, just before entering the engine itself, and adjust the fuel to accommodate.
Like most turbo cars from the factory, it has a recirculator to keep the thing quiet, NOT because somehow it needs it for performance.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:37 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
"Dont do it if you have the n14 motor... no matter what you do on any mini motor you will throw a CEL... the n14 will go into limp mode (no boost) until you take it out... these systems are very touchy and when they don't get the proper boost recirculated they let you know... there is no remedy for the CEL...
"

I don't believe anyone had a problem with you stating "your experience". I think the problem was with your first, overly broad, statement.
I won't get to installing mine until I get a little warm weather. I have the FM207V. This valve is piston based , with no diaphragm to fail, and of all aluminium construction, it replaces the original unit with a pressure/vacuum operated piston valve that still also retains the desirable OEM ECU control over valve actuation. But, it still dumps excess boost to the atmosphere. This came off another '07 MCS and was working fine when removed because of pending vehicle sale. I have no reason to believe it won't work the same on mine. At $250+ I don't think they'd still be selling them if they didn't work. Again, just My opinion. I will be installing the Forge unit at the same time I'm installing my AEM CAI, BSH OCC, and BSH dual tap (Which will be activating the Forge). I'll post about My personal experience at that time.

Last edited by vetsvette; 01-22-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 AM
Mini R56
1st Gear
Are you sure you didn't do something else to it? Damage a sealing O-ring on re-install? Leave something unplugged or not fully tightened? Have a bad diaphragm on the diverter that just finally let itself go with the uninstall and reinstall process? I just have a hard time believing that a part I've been using for a year now that has caused no issues, causes issues on other engines of the same exact type. I don't get how or why that would be. Your 08 shouldn't have any different sensors of computer processes than my 07 in the grand scheme of things.

ALSO, as for "the engine wants to see the recirculated boost", false. These engines do not depend on the blown off, excess air to run properly. They run off a manifold pressure sensor AND MAF, and the blow off from the turbo does not recirculate in a way that metering it is dire in order to get the right fuel/air mix. The car will read whatever actual manifold pressure there is and adjust fuel from there. Because the MAF is not the sole means of measuring air entering the engine, that blown-off air does not NEED to end up back in the engine. The sensor on the intake manifold will see what's THERE, just before entering the engine itself, and adjust the fuel to accommodate.
Like most turbo cars from the factory, it has a recirculator to keep the thing quiet, NOT because somehow it needs it for performance.
You don't get how or why... that would be because you don't know enough about them... Im not trying to be a jerk but thats the truth... do a little research instead of angrily posting... if you are having trouble with your factory diaphragms breaking, upgrade it to the VAG internals , however you will lose the "Blow off valve noise", it will be quiet... its made of all hard plastic and no rubber... us running higher boost did it out of necessity...

If you rip another one you will be in the same boat as us...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ck-this-3.html
You will find more info on it here...

These motors don't like those adaptors... call your dealer and talk to the mechanic he will explain to you why, and what the CEL codes mean... plenty of people have messed with this and he will have herd of a it... I can assure you that you are a very rare case in not throwing an engine code or going into limp mode... Trust me I'm all for this part I wanted so badly for it to work in my car... My best friend had one in his GTI and I called forge the next day after he put his in... however In my case as well as many others, it was just not an option... and it has nothing to do with MAF sensors and A/F ratios...

Old 01-22-2014, 06:40 AM
Mini R56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
"Dont do it if you have the n14 motor... no matter what you do on any mini motor you will throw a CEL... the n14 will go into limp mode (no boost) until you take it out... these systems are very touchy and when they don't get the proper boost recirculated they let you know... there is no remedy for the CEL...
"

I don't believe they had a problem with you stating "your experience". I think the problem was with your first, overly broad, statement.
I won't get to installing mine until I get a little warm weather. I have the FM207V. This valve is piston based , with no diaphragm to fail, and of all aluminium construction, it replaces the original unit with a pressure/vacuum operated piston valve that still also retains the desirable OEM ECU control over valve actuation. But, it still dumps excess boost to the atmosphere. This came off another '07 MCS and was working fine when removed because of pending vehicle sale. I have no reason to believe it won't work the same on mine. At $250+ I don't think they'd still be selling them if they didn't work. Again, just My opinion. I will be installing the Forge unit at the same time I'm installing my AEM CAI, BSH OCC, and BSH dual tap (Which will be activating the Forge). I'll post about My personal experience at that time.
don't get the adaptor and the BOV confused... the adaptor is a spacer... and is no where near $250+ in price...

And I think your right there... I came off pretty steep... but I did want the guy to go through the headache that I did... and for that I apologize

Last edited by Mini R56; 01-22-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:46 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
I do understand how these things work and on these cars, the MAF is not the sole provider of air intake information for fuel adjustments. Venting the excess compressed air to atmosphere on the N14 should not cause an issue. If it's causing an issue for some people, that's odd to me because again, all of our motors are controlled and monitored the same and there are plenty of people without issues. If these cars ran solely off a MAF like an old MR2 or something where you KNOW you're going to mess up the air/fuel mixture by venting to atmosphere that would be one thing. But these companies such as Forge came up with this part knowing that it wouldn't cause issues.

And yes, the only difference between the air recirculating and being vented IS air/fuel metering. What else would the recirculated air possibly benefit? This has nothing to do with the operation of the factory valve, diaphragm issues, or anything like that. It simply spaces the stock valve back, which still works as it did previously, the air is simply rerouted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Forge Blow Off Adaptor For Cooper S Turbo