Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Show me Oil Caught in Catch Can of your N18 Engine

Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Danielng0811
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Show me Oil Caught in Catch Can of your N18 Engine

In N14 engine, an oil catch can is necessary to catch the oil so that minimizing the carbon accumulated in the valves. Some people said that there is no need for N18 engine. However, I am still worrying about it and still have not decided to buy the oil catch can.

If anybody here installed the oil catch can for his/her N18 engine, please show here the oil caught and how many miles it has run since can was installed as follows:

Miles Run Since Installed
-----------------------

Photo
----------

Thank you so much for sharing this information :-)

Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM
DChase
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting one soon, then can report findings. Someone pulled their head and showed the valves and they were coated with carbon.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Bueller?

Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 PM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Must not be an issue.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As long as there is direct injection on the MINI, there will be carbon build up. All OEMs that use direction injection are experiencing this.

This has been proven time and time again by the various service vendors on this website as well as from personal experience. The only way to relieve the issue, is by manually cleaning the valves.

$300 for a catch can setup is ridiculous. The minimal amount of oil scavenged compared to how much is deposited in the intake runners is insignificant.

Last edited by countryboyshane; 09-06-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:44 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Everyone keep saying N18 don't need it, but there is always blow by. The best solution to keep it clean is to get WMI, The meth will help keep it cool and clean.

I already ordered my Saikou Michi catch can. I will be doing an inspection of the valves and ill post up some pictures. I purchased a used 2011 MCS with 68k and I'm still in the process of doing all the maintenance work to the car.

You have people like Countryboyshane that don't believe in OCC his right to an extent. OCC dont catch everything, but they catch something. Not all OCC are made equally, but I'm of the opinion of something is better then nothing. I wouldn't pay $300 for a OCC, but they do there job.

I had an OCC in all my turbo cars. I purchase this Mini as a DD and want it to last for ever and ever lol.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
As long as there is direct injection on the MINI, there will be carbon build up. All OEMs that use direction injection are experiencing this.

This has been proven time and time again by the various service vendors on this website as well as from personal experience. The only way to relieve the issue, is by manually cleaning the valves.

$300 for a catch can setup is ridiculous. The minimal amount of oil scavenged compared to how much is spared from the intake runners is insignificant.
N18 engines don't suffer from oil coke valves because the valve cover had a redesign that collects the oil vapors and puts it right back into the oil pan. I have seen many N18's intake valves after 70,000 miles with zero oil deposits on the valves, every engine on the planet has blow-by gasses which is why PCV systems are installed on hundreds of millions of cars and trucks for decades.

There's more blow-by gasses with boosted cars, not all direct injection engines suffer from oil coked valves. There's a few early models from direct injected Audi's with this issue, but like Mini/BMW they have made some worthwhile improvements to eliminate the oil coking issues. There's a thread on NAM that shows the redesigned valve cover (N18) and pictures that show how the oil vapors are collected and rerouted back to the oil pan.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:23 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HaveATank
I was wondering the same thing. Everyone keep saying N18 don't need it, but there is always blow by. The best solution to keep it clean is to get WMI, The meth will help keep it cool and clean.

I already ordered my Saikou Michi catch can. I will be doing an inspection of the valves and ill post up some pictures. I purchased a used 2011 MCS with 68k and I'm still in the process of doing all the maintenance work to the car.

You have people like Countryboyshane that don't believe in OCC his right to an extent. OCC dont catch everything, but they catch something. Not all OCC are made equally, but I'm of the opinion of something is better then nothing. I wouldn't pay $300 for a OCC, but they do there job.

I had an OCC in all my turbo cars. I purchase this Mini as a DD and want it to last for ever and ever lol.
Yes, they catch something. Something comparative to 95% condensation and 5% oil. But hey, being a sales guy myself, I would push these stupid cans onto all the believers in the various forums. There is money to be made

Would rather put that $250-300 into the investment for real tools instead of a ineffective catch can

Old 09-10-2015, 06:29 AM
fastfour
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish BMW would address it on 335d's. Mine has already been to the dealer for complete head tear down and clean at a machine shop...under warranty thank goodness.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Yes, they catch something. Something comparative to 95% condensation and 5% oil. But hey, being a sales guy myself, I would push these stupid cans onto all the believers in the various forums. There is money to be made

Would rather put that $250-300 into the investment for real tools instead of a ineffective catch can
This.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Show me Oil Caught in Catch Can of your N18 Engine

Originally Posted by HaveATank
...The best solution to keep it clean is to get WMI, The meth will help keep it cool and clean...
Meth will not really do anything for keeping the valves clean. The amount of meth that is actually spraying is very little. Unless of course you're driving around in boost the whole time.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Meth will not really do anything for keeping the valves clean. The amount of meth that is actually spraying is very little. Unless of course you're driving around in boost the whole time.
^This again. I have seen meth reduce carbon build-up in certain areas, like a clean streak in the intake runner where the stream of alcohol is the thickest, but it doesn't prevent build-up on the valve tops themselves.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Unless of course you're driving around in boost the whole time.
^^^ This