mini tires and alignment - North American Motoring
MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Log In 
Search

mini tires and alignment

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM
byro1234 byro1234 is offline
Neutral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
mini tires and alignment

2007 mini S with 17765 miles on it. the tires are wearing down to the steel on the far inside of the front tires and it seems like the back are nearly as bad. the tires are very pricey and my question is can I go back with conventional tires? (these are run flats). do these low profile tires wear out sooner than most? the wheel alignment costs a couple hundred and we have to drive over 2 hundred miles to the dealer? would like to just buy a spare wheel and tire and throw it in the back on long trips(will have to get a jack and lug wrench) this car does not have a spare.. any help will be great..thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM
proximo proximo is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 234
You can use either conventional or RFs. The issue you have is same with all MCSs. Their camber is set negative to have an aggressive stance and take corners well. You can change this, but it'll affect your cornering performance. Some tire places will say it's a problem, but you set the tire at the camber angle you like.

Tires wear at various rates and you'll have to take a look at the UTQG ratings (a 500 rated tire will fare better than a 200 rated tire -- the 200 being much sticker/softer). Note that the UTQG ratings do not match between tire manufactures (a 500 on one does not equal a 500 on another brand). I think the OE run flats are 360 so they are not soft, but not hard and will run through fairly fast (don't quote me on number -- that's from memory 2 years ago).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
bluefox280's Avatar
bluefox280 bluefox280 is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by byro1234 View Post
the tires are very pricey and my question is can I go back with conventional tires? (these are run flats).
Yes, you can run a non-runflat tire on the MINI without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byro1234 View Post
do these low profile tires wear out sooner than most?
Some do; based on the wear rating of the tire.
Tire wear is also attributed to alignment specs and driver use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byro1234 View Post
the wheel alignment costs a couple hundred and we have to drive over 2 hundred miles to the dealer?
You can't get a 4-wheel thrust alignment at a local tire shop in your area?
Should only be somewhere in the $60 - $80 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byro1234 View Post
would like to just buy a spare wheel and tire and throw it in the back on long trips (will have to get a jack and lug wrench) this car does not have a spare...
Easy to create a spare; there's several archived threads creating a spare tire with tool kit from OEM listed parts.

- Erik
__________________
2009 Mini Clubman (R55) John Cooper Works [JCW] - 1.6 liter turbocharged 16v I4
Pattern Draft Imaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Ronin82 Ronin82 is offline
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by proximo View Post
Their camber is set negative to have an aggressive stance and take corners well. You can change this, but it'll affect your cornering performance.
^^^^Thats good info, thank you.

Is the camber generally the same on MCS's, since some come with different factory wheels?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2011, 11:09 PM
rasputinj's Avatar
rasputinj rasputinj is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 499
Go with run flats much less expensive to replace them. I would then rotate those tires to help them last longer. I sold my run flats and they paid for more then 1/2 of my conventional tires.
__________________
Rasputinj
09' Mini Cooper Clubman S Manual Pepper

Mammoth/Lake Crowley Fly Fishing Guide Sierra Trout Magnet
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2011, 06:24 AM
richardsperry richardsperry is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eldersburg, Md
Posts: 2,238
Just a couple of things...

If you mostly drive on the highway, then negative camber can lead to increased tire ware. Most of the time, it's the toe angle that kills the inside edge of tires. You hit a big pothole, a curb, something and slightly changed the toe setting. The tires then try to scrub down the road and that eats the inside edge very quickly.

Any shop should be able to do an alignment on a MINI. There is nothing special or magical about it. Except the price a dealer charges...

Set front and rear toe, adjust rear camber, done. Tell the shop that you would like very close too, if not exactly -2 degrees of camber in the rear. Front camber and castor are non adjustable without aftermarket parts.

BMW/Mini specs putting weights in the car when doing an alignment. so that the alignment settings reflect actual use. The place I go lets me sit in the car when they do it, so that how it gets used. See if they will let you do that.

Yes you can use regular tires. Tire life is DIRECTLY related to the tire wear index on the sidewall. The lower the # the more grip the tire has, the shorter the tire life. If you choose regular tires, make sure you have AAA, or a tire mobility kit, or a space saving spare tire.
__________________
WMW bypass, Quaife LSD, AFE filter, FES anti glare gauge face, Rennline door pulls, carbon gas cover, shorty antenna, torque arm insert, Cocomats, V1, Light in sight, hell damn near back to stock...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM
proximo proximo is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin82 View Post
^^^^Thats good info, thank you.

Is the camber generally the same on MCS's, since some come with different factory wheels?
Yes, all MCSs are set the same at the factory regardless of the tire. A tuning company or the local dealer may get spunky and determine the "optimal" camber for a particular car, but highly unlikely.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
schatzy62's Avatar
schatzy62 schatzy62 is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gardner MA
Posts: 5,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsperry View Post
Just a couple of things...

If you mostly drive on the highway, then negative camber can lead to increased tire ware. Most of the time, it's the toe angle that kills the inside edge of tires. You hit a big pothole, a curb, something and slightly changed the toe setting. The tires then try to scrub down the road and that eats the inside edge very quickly.

Any shop should be able to do an alignment on a MINI. There is nothing special or magical about it. Except the price a dealer charges...

Set front and rear toe, adjust rear camber, done. Tell the shop that you would like very close too, if not exactly -2 degrees of camber in the rear. Front camber and castor are non adjustable without aftermarket parts.

BMW/Mini specs putting weights in the car when doing an alignment. so that the alignment settings reflect actual use. The place I go lets me sit in the car when they do it, so that how it gets used. See if they will let you do that.

Yes you can use regular tires. Tire life is DIRECTLY related to the tire wear index on the sidewall. The lower the # the more grip the tire has, the shorter the tire life. If you choose regular tires, make sure you have AAA, or a tire mobility kit, or a space saving spare tire.
+1 for everything said here. It DOES make a difference if the car is properly loaded. and the BMW/MINI specs call for it to be loaded.
__________________


08MCCS, HC/HC/Blk, 6 SPD, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Convenience, HiFi, HC L/C - Steering Wheel - Shift ****-Boot, - E Brake Handle-Boot, English Oak - 17" Web Spoke (R98) Painted H/C, H/C Club Member #42.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
byro1234 byro1234 is offline
Neutral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
thanks,
we are going with the pirelli run flats cheeper and we purchased on-line, will let local guy install but we fear the alignment there so we are driving 200+ miles to the mini dealer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
andyroo andyroo is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,239
I think -2 degrees camber is way too much for the rear. I think you'd get better wear and handling with -1.5 or so.

Front camber is NOT aggressive at all from the factory....very weak actually. Non-adjustable so no worries there for the most part.

Toe should be set as close to 0 as possible for tire wear. Toe is the real tire killer.

My alignment is more aggressive than stock and I get nice even wear across the tire and the tires are lasting a good long time. I run -1.7 camber front, -1.3 rear, and about 0 toe front and rear. Handles extremely well too, with a few aftermarket goodies .

I use a good alignment shop that gets me exactly the specs I request. It helps.


- andrew
__________________
2005 BRG MCS
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM
byro1234 byro1234 is offline
Neutral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
we are once again having problems with the tires. in a very short time 10,000 miles the same front tire has gone bad, this time worn on the outer edge. I saved the Dunlaps that were on the back when we got the Perrelli's. My question is would it be ok to put the Dunlaps on the front and leave the Perelli's on the back? same size different tread. I know I shouldnt do that but these tires are very expensive and we mostly just drive around a small town where the top speed is 35 MPH and rarely even rains, no snow.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM
andyroo andyroo is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,239
Sounds like a poorly done alignment with too much toe. You need to get a printout when you get an alignment...post it here and we can look at it.

As for you question, if the tires are in good shape then it's fine.

- Andy
__________________
2005 BRG MCS
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM
v10climber v10climber is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NoVA
Posts: 1,339
Also could be worn control arm bushings messing up the toe under load

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Mini56 Mini56 is offline
Neutral
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo View Post
I think -2 degrees camber is way too much for the rear. I think you'd get better wear and handling with -1.5 or so.

Front camber is NOT aggressive at all from the factory....very weak actually. Non-adjustable so no worries there for the most part.

Toe should be set as close to 0 as possible for tire wear. Toe is the real tire killer.

My alignment is more aggressive than stock and I get nice even wear across the tire and the tires are lasting a good long time. I run -1.7 camber front, -1.3 rear, and about 0 toe front and rear. Handles extremely well too, with a few aftermarket goodies .

I use a good alignment shop that gets me exactly the specs I request. It helps.


- andrew
Thanks Andrew...very helpful. 2nd set of back tires need replacing at 52,000 miles:( When the first went at 25,000 I questioned the SA's statement that it is NOT recommended to rotate these tires. The SA helping me this times recommends it....who is right?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Mini2na's Avatar
Mini2na Mini2na is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portlandia North, WA
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini56 View Post
Thanks Andrew...very helpful. 2nd set of back tires need replacing at 52,000 miles:( When the first went at 25,000 I questioned the SA's statement that it is NOT recommended to rotate these tires. The SA helping me this times recommends it....who is right?
BMW does not recommend rotation. They say it will alter the driving characteristics of the car. This will wear out the front tires 2 or 3 times faster than the rears. This is fine if you are going to replace the front tires with the same or very similar tires to the ones you have. Some shops recommend that when buying the two new tires that they are placed on the rear.

Rotating uses up the front and rear tires at the same time if you are doing it right. This allows you to change type and sizes of tires if you want to. I have heard that you actually get less total mileage out of the tires this way, but can NOT verify this.

If you are doing street driving, I wouldn't worry about any big change in handling due to rotation.
__________________
"Frodo" - D-Street Autocrosser - '07 MCS SS/Blk, Sport & Premium Pkg (stupid Pano), Sport Susp, LSD, Team Dynamic 1.2's, catch can, 22mm sway bar, Koni Yellows, Fat Cat bump stops
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Mini56 Mini56 is offline
Neutral
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks much! Is it unusual to only get 25,000 miles out of the tires? Not a happy camper..I always enjoy when I am. I love the name Frodo BTW...I will have to come up with something
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS:: ACT Clutch and Flywheel For R53 Mini Cooper andrewjg1994 MINI Parts for Sale 18 03-19-2016 08:05 AM
Nexen N5000 tires davidbeaver1 R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) 14 11-08-2015 05:22 AM
2002 R53 Creaking/Clacking maestro39 R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) 3 10-27-2015 02:38 PM
FS:: 2013 Mini Cooper Hardtop 6-speed Dashdog MINIs & Minis for Sale 0 08-10-2015 06:17 AM
FS:: R56 16" Wheels and Tires nomar116 MINI Parts for Sale 0 08-09-2015 09:42 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

,
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 AM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring.