Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Wavetrac LSD

Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wavetrac LSD

Has anyone heard of them as I have been looking into a LSD for my mini, either Quaife or OS Giken which is twice the price and came across wavetrac when looking.

http://www.wavetrac.net/

If they develop one for the mini has anyone got any knowledge of them on other cars?

Last edited by MattyKHZ; 03-29-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
subscribed

Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
The Wavetrac company was the importer for quaife, and obviously when they started selling wavetracs over the quaifes they lost the quaife as a product. The do not have one for the MINI. I've talked to them about making them, but the MINI is such a small market they were not interested in producing them for us. Both the quaife and OS Giken are great and reliable diffs. I prefer the quaife for a street car, and the Giken for more track use. Plus the difference in price.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Shame as I see the wavetrac pitched somewhere between the 2 as Quaife is my preferred option here in the UK being more reasonably priced but OS Giken gets good feedback. I hear good things about the wavetrac which would make that my preferred option if it was available.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone install the readily available Wavetrac in their R56? The performance of the OSG with the price of the Quaife.
Looking for an installer in the Bay Area other than Bay Bridge Motors.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:31 PM
Arthas
1st Gear
First i have installed the quaife, but after less than a year I had loud noises. This was then sent to Quaife and replaced me after more than 5 months. Good customer service looks different. Since I did not want to wait so long, I have installed the Wavetrac. The Wavetrac is much better as the Quaife. Even after more than a year no problem. The response is much better. She also works in the wet, which was a problem with the Quaife.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had my Quaife for almost 4 years and 40K miles. It works fine. It works in the wet, it works at night, it doesn't make noises... (I'd bet installation error...)

Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 AM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Whats better about the Wavetrac is that it will not go open if a wheel lifts. A very appealing feature as Sonoma Raceway has to hair pins turns and inner wheel will get air born; slightly.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:17 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Indimanic
Whats better about the Wavetrac is that it will not go open if a wheel lifts. A very appealing feature as Sonoma Raceway has to hair pins turns and inner wheel will get air born; slightly.
Does this mean the Wavetrac can help with bump steer?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Go with the Quaife it is the best and I've never had an issue with one. I have a customer with over 150k miles on his, and it's been beat on. Then had one in my car and my best friends car since 2005 with no issues and I've for sure put it through the paces.
On the street in the wet, dry, or snow it is a huge improvement. Never had a bump steer issue as I'm accelerating through the corners.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Arthas
1st Gear
I can understand that you want to sell the Quaife. Certainly the Quaife is a good start. Nevertheless, the statement that the Quaife is the best is wrong. I had both the Quaife as well as the Wavetrac installed in the same car. Here the Wavetrac is clearly the better. On icy ground the Quaife eg does not work at all.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:43 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Arthas
I can understand that you want to sell the Quaife. Certainly the Quaife is a good start. Nevertheless, the statement that the Quaife is the best is wrong. I had both the Quaife as well as the Wavetrac installed in the same car. Here the Wavetrac is clearly the better. On icy ground the Quaife eg does not work at all.
You are entitled to your opinion. I could very well sell the wavetrac as I've had a relationship with those guys since 2005 when they use to import Quaife. But with all the experience I've had with MINIs and all the variations of differentials I've personally installed in MINIs. My professional opinion is the Quaife is the best for the buck and a street driven MINI. I still run one in my R53 and will continue to. If we were discussing full on track MINI I would recommend the OS Giken with a custom setup.
It's not about just wanting to sell Quaife, I'm giving it my endorsement as I believe in the product.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
May I throw CUSCO in the mix. Clutch style like the OS Giken but at only $1100.00vs the OS for some $1800.00. I like the Wavetrac for the track and that it will never go open if a wheel is lifted or find the dirt. The Quaife does and I think that's why Way likes for the street.
Unlike the OS and Cusco though the WT does not offer lock under decel/braking which is great for the track and apparently really helps with under steer, trail braking and turn in. I think the Cusco is getting the nod unless someone can chime in with why not.
Any thoughts on a good road/track clutch that can handle 300hp easily?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Arthas
1st Gear
Your professional opinion in all honor. But I think right comparisons are more like opinions. For the street Wavetrac is clearly the better. In addition, it also works better on the track. But clearly for the pure track use, I would rather fit an LSD. An ATB (Quaife, Wavetrac, ...) do not function during braking. A ATB does not lock like a LSD, but shifts the torque. However, LSD is subject to a certain wear. Also must be replaced annually, the transmission oil. These are two important points that unfortunately many forget.

Last edited by Arthas; 08-06-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:01 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the clutch type LSD where more for the track ???
I'm about to toss a quarter in the air. Heads wavetrac and tails Quaife....
Then I'm going to drink a few beers and toss a quarter for the dam clutch !!!!!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
I did the Cusco and Clutch Masters FX350
Autoplicity sent me the WRONG Cusco LSD.
Just last week the Cusco price went up some 23%. So, with the Cusco being close in price to the OS Giken I'm thinking: 1) the Wavetrac is looking better and
2) I wish I never gave up alcohol.