MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Garage
BSH OCC install with DDMworks Race Intake

I recently ordered a BSH Oil Catch Can (OCC) from WMW to help cut down on carbon buildup on the intake valves of my R56 MCS. When I started the OCC install I found out, much to my dismay, that with the DDMworks Race Intake System (RIS) installed, neither of the OCC mounting locations recommended by BSH could be used. The Intake hose from the DDMworks pressurized filter box fills the suggested OCC mounting location near the firewall and since the RIS retains the stock air inlet duct, the alternate mounting location for the OCC is also unavailable (the alternate location requires removal of the stock inlet duct).

I decided to poke around in the engine bay looking for another mounting location for the OCC. As we all know, there's not much empty space in there. Thankfully, I was able to come up with a solution which only required fabricating a simple mounting bracket about 4" longer than the one provided by BSH. I thought I'd post details on this install to save time for anyone else who finds himself in the same situation.

The picture below shows the engine bay with the DDMworks ram air intake installed:
Click the image to open in full size.

The next image is the set of parts included in the BSH OCC kit:

Below the two mounting locations recommended by BSH are shown:

The next pic highlights the interference problem at the standard mounting location:

Here's a comparison of my custom bracket to the one from the kit:

The OCC installed with the custom bracket:

OCC hoses connected:

And finally, the finished result with the intake back in place:

If you read this far, I hope you enjoyed my post. While this mounting location does require removing the intake hose when emptying the OCC, that's a small price to pay for keeping the intake valves a bit cleaner.

Dave
Mods: DDM Works Race Intake, Helix FMIC, nm boost tubes, springs, swaybar, torque arm and heatshield, BSH OCC, Forge diverter valve, Alta 3" dual-cat turboback w/ added Moroso spiralflow, Aquamist/Howerton HFS-4 WMI, OS Giken GT clutch and LSD
RMW dyno tune 235whp 260wtq
Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Nice adjustment to save the install. I just ordered one of these for my '11 MCS and am wondering where it's going to fit in my engine bay - looks considerably different from yours.

2011 Pepper White MCS
Old 02-26-2011, 06:45 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Great Post, Thanks for thinking about the Members here!
2008, MCS, Pure Silver, 17" R98 Web Spokes, Sport Suspension, Sport Package, Eufori RFs, 6 Speed Man, Pano Roof, HIFI, Auto A/C, K&N Filter, 3M Tint, Custom 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, Yellow Fog Light Bulbs & More p:
Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Good ol' American ingenuity .
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
[QUOTE=Patches;3223116]Nice adjustment to save the install. I just ordered one of these for my '11 MCS and am wondering where it's going to fit in my engine bay - looks considerably different from yours.

That's one shiny new engine bay. You might check to see if the same little
"cubby hole" exists underneath the corner of the filter box on the 2011. Most of the aftermarket CAI's open up much more space near the firewall. Good luck.
Mods: DDM Works Race Intake, Helix FMIC, nm boost tubes, springs, swaybar, torque arm and heatshield, BSH OCC, Forge diverter valve, Alta 3" dual-cat turboback w/ added Moroso spiralflow, Aquamist/Howerton HFS-4 WMI, OS Giken GT clutch and LSD
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
Thanks so much for the pictures. I just did the same on my 08 MCS with the DDM intake.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
Caution

I found out the hard way about a potentially dangerous issue with the DDMworks race intake. Due to an interference problem with the hood-mounted duct that is part of the kit, they have you replace the hard pipe from the vacuum booster to the brakes with a piece of flexible tubing. The hood duct can press on the flexible tubing causing it to pinch closed. When that happens, the power assist to the brakes doesn't work making it very hard to slow the car down. I narrowly avoided a crash when this happened to me. Please be very careful routing that hose! It was a very poor design choice on DDM's part to require removing the factory hard line. Shame on them.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Garage
I noticed the same thing when I installed mine. Ended up reverting back to the hard line. Overall, I wasn't too happy with the RIS hood panel. Besides the fitment issues, it wasn't really working well with my driving style and location. The box, by itself, is great for me and still keeps my intake temps down.

Battle Tuning/DNA Stage 2 Linear*Helix IC*DDMWorks PFB*Alta Downpipe*Alta 3" Full Exhaust*BSH OCC*BSH Boost Tap*Alta Hot Side Boost Tube*Alta Hard Turbo Inlet Pipe*Megan Racing Coilovers*H-sport Camber Links*JCW R113's*ScanGauge II...and other random things!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM