Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Any opinions on the Single Mass valeo clutch kit?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Poon racing

Are you talking about the valeo kit and are going back to oem clutch and why? What brand flywheel are you thinking about?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I might try this out, not sure if you all would want in on this. A local shop to me makes custom clutch disc. They have made a few custom 6 disk sprung and un-sprung clutch disk for us. These are made to fit the oem flywheel and pressure plate but hold much better.

I will be having a 6 disk sprung disk made to fit the valeo single mass and pressure plate.

why? because I can, not because my clutch is slipping. And the cost is stupid cheap. Ill post a price when its final. Just have to get the spline and spacing specs to them.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
So I might try this out, not sure if you all would want in on this. A local shop to me makes custom clutch disc. They have made a few custom 6 disk sprung and un-sprung clutch disk for us. These are made to fit the oem flywheel and pressure plate but hold much better.

I will be having a 6 disk sprung disk made to fit the valeo single mass and pressure plate.

why? because I can, not because my clutch is slipping. And the cost is stupid cheap. Ill post a price when its final. Just have to get the spline and spacing specs to them.
I've been thinking and I believe the culprit may be the pressure plate more so than the disk. I think it does not provide enough clamping force. Can your people also modify the pressure plate? Maybe a stronger spring.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PoonRacing
To mininuke, here my update for you

8,000 ish spirited driving miles and 4 day at the Dragon(MSSD Oct 2011), now it's start slipping between 3500-5000 rpm on medium throttle. car dyno 205-hp @wheel.

I will probably going back to stock type clutch with lightweight aluminum flywheel.
Sorry to hear that. You are talking about the Valeo, right. I'm thinking about getting the ACT HDSS Street kit and FW.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Professor
5th Gear
The pressure plate should not cause the slip but you never know.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Professor
The pressure plate should not cause the slip but you never know.
I want to say that the combination of a very small clutch disk surface area and a OEM spec pressure plate is not good for modified minis.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Professor
5th Gear
we will soon find out. another tech I work with has a an E30 that is well over 3 times its oem HP. He has the oem fly wheel and pressure plate and a clutch disk made from the place I am getting mine from.

But again. Mine does not slip, yet. I do have concerns that it could once it wears a bit, mine only has 2500 miles on it I think.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM
mmaigret
1st Gear
Professor---question for you on the Valeo setup. Chad from DT told me the Valeo throwout bearing is the same as OEM. I read an earlier post where you insinuated that is not true. Can you confirm?

The reason I ask is that I bought a Valeo kit, but the bearing was damaged in shipping and I was under the impression an OEM one would be fine.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 AM
alx873
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mmaigret
Professor---question for you on the Valeo setup. Chad from DT told me the Valeo throwout bearing is the same as OEM. I read an earlier post where you insinuated that is not true. Can you confirm?

The reason I ask is that I bought a Valeo kit, but the bearing was damaged in shipping and I was under the impression an OEM one would be fine.

Thanks,
Mike
Correct, the TO bearing on the valeo kit is identical to the stock clutch TO bearing. It's the SKF one. I can confirm this.

The reason why i know is because mine came dented too from the factory. And had to get a new one before installation.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Sounds like its the same. I was not 100% certain when I mentioned it. I did not compare the 2 side by side.

Good to know it can be replaced with OEM.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
mmaigret
1st Gear
Thanks for the info gents.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Ammi
2nd Gear
My spec clutch is dying already... pure garbage. Professor, are you installing clutches for a fee?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ammi
My spec clutch is dying already... pure garbage. Professor, are you installing clutches for a fee?
Sorry to hear that. Now I know I should stay away from Spec. Is this epidemic or what?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm ready for a new clutch set up n with what I read I'm convince to put another OEM.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
mininuke
3rd Gear
So I'm about to pull the trigger on an ACT HDSS and FW. Is a good setup? Anyone knows anything about them in terms of reliability and life?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miles_miles7
I'm ready for a new clutch set up n with what I read I'm convince to put another OEM.
You pretty much have the same mods I have, I wonder if the OEM would fare well with the extra HP. Maybe an OEM type FW with a better pressure plate and disk. This is killing me.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Hello all,
I just had a Valeo Clutch kit installed today, is it supposed to feel so mushy? I'm hardly getting any resistance from the pressure plate. It doesn't take much to push the peddle straight to the floor. It works fine, but I really haven't tested it yet. I want to put a few miles on it before I really get on it. Right now it feels like I need to get ready to buy a stronger Pressure Plate as MININUKE says.

Is it just me? Reading through some of the post I feel i'm not the only one who feels this way. Comments welcome

Professor: please PM the 6 disk clutch plate info to me. At mid year I'm gonna add some real power to my 06 and I don't feel that this Valeo plate/disc is going to hold.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Minian
I just had a Valeo Clutch kit installed today, is it supposed to feel so mushy?
NO, I've installed several of these and not had a problem. Mushy is most likely caused by the clutch not being bleed with the special tool. Get it bled right.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
NO, I've installed several of these and not had a problem. Mushy is most likely caused by the clutch not being bleed with the special tool. Get it bled right.
Thanx Way!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Ok for those who are on the fence about the Valeo set up this may help.
I installed it in Feb, and have been breaking it in slowly. At first I was a bit weary because it felt mushy to me compared to the stock clutch, but here it is late April and I have to say I like it. I haven't felt any slipping as some have and have gotten a chirp in second gear a few times without issue. Myself, I'd like a little more resistance, but I gotta say that it is easier on the foot in stop and go traffic. I think it a good clutch for the money.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Mine still slips. I don't even use the car anymore, maybe once a week. I rather drive my new Jeep Wrangler. I lost all love for this car and I don't want to dump more money into it. I already prepared an ad to sell "as is". The car is a 2005 with about 43k miles. This car has over $20k in parts and accessories and I will be just throwing them away at the amount I may get. Valeo was a bad choice for me. Valeo may be good for a stock car. If you have a moderate to high power MINI, do yourself a favor look elsewhere. My two cents. VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mininuke
...Valeo was a bad choice for me. Valeo may be good for a stock car. If you have a moderate to high power MINI, do yourself a favor look elsewhere. My two cents. VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED!
Sorry to hear that.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minian
Sorry to hear that.
Thanks man!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
konstantinos88
3rd Gear
Any other opinions on the Valeo? I'm about to buy one. Fairly stock setup, only a pulley and an intake, exhaust and tune down the road...

How many miles do all of you Valeo-guys have, and do you feel any slipping or other issues?

Old 06-09-2012, 10:21 AM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by konstantinos88
Any other opinions on the Valeo? I'm about to buy one. Fairly stock setup, only a pulley and an intake, exhaust and tune down the road...

How many miles do all of you Valeo-guys have, and do you feel any slipping or other issues?

I have pretty much ever performance bolt on possible, minus a head and a cam. My car was tuned to 213 whp and 190 lbs and yes im running the valeo clutch.

It has 5k and so far no issue, it did slip a bit one i first got it, but im thinking thats normal durring the break in period. I babyed it for the first 1k after that point it works perfect.

First dyno picture is the 1st pull after the tune. 206/190

After tune 2nd dyno pull. Whp 213 and A/F ratio
http://youtu.be/AatGVGYwoek

3rd Pic is pre-tune with JCW map.

All dyno results pulls tune and JCW Map dyno results are on the Valeo clutch kit.

Also i have been told that

A. The Valeo will tolerate around 220WHP and
B. Its also how you drive it. Slip it like a noob and like any other clutch is goign to die.

So far no clurch rattle either. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Any opinions on the Single Mass valeo clutch kit?-cid_faceaf6f-23da-433d-a8e2-dc0a5637583b.jpg   Any opinions on the Single Mass valeo clutch kit?-dyno-3.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Any opinions on the Single Mass valeo clutch kit?