Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
For auto trans --- do not step on the brake when pushing Start.

For manual trans --- do not step on the clutch when pressing Start.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:12 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh wow I didn't know that. I figured the car would stall (manual) so I've never tried doing that before. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2016, 12:52 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Don't step on the brake or clutch pedal when you push the start button. It is like turning a regular key to accessory.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:12 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
I received my AP today and I'm a little confused on how it's supposed to work. I've read the PDF manual as the AP was used and didn't come with one. This is what I've done:

1) With the car completely off connected it to my OBD port
2) Put fob in key slot, press start without touching any pedals
3) Click install, it identifies my ECU, then lists a bunch of maps

I have not installed any yet as the screen is rather small and I can't see what's required by each map on the AP itself. When I plug it into my computer the list of maps is empty? When I click the AP Info button I see this:

AP-MIN-001 v1.6.8.17-8558 (UNINSTALLED)
Serial: XXX
Vehicle: ?

Is a question mark for vehicle normal? Shouldn't I see a list of maps in AP Manager so I can see the details of each map? When I click Search for maps it is looking for files on my hard drive and the All Vehicles dropdown doesn't list any vehicles.

It says the firmware is up to date on the device. AP Manager lists the version as 2.1.1.13. Do I have to install a map to bind it to my car? If not, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by spjonez; 07-27-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:47 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spjonez
I received my AP today and I'm a little confused on how it's supposed to work. I've read the PDF manual as the AP was used and didn't come with one. This is what I've done:

1) With the car completely off connected it to my OBD port
2) Put fob in key slot, press start without touching any pedals
3) Click install, it identifies my ECU, then lists a bunch of maps

I have not installed any yet as the screen is rather small and I can't see what's required by each map on the AP itself. When I plug it into my computer the list of maps is empty? When I click the AP Info button I see this:

AP-MIN-001 v1.6.8.17-8558 (UNINSTALLED)
Serial: XXX
Vehicle: ?

Is a question mark for vehicle normal? Shouldn't I see a list of maps in AP Manager so I can see the details of each map? When I click Search for maps it is looking for files on my hard drive and the All Vehicles dropdown doesn't list any vehicles.

It says the firmware is up to date on the device. AP Manager lists the version as 2.1.1.13. Do I have to install a map to bind it to my car? If not, what am I doing wrong?
Everything is right except the screen scrolls when you're browsing the maps with the AP connected to the OBDII port and the ignition set to ON, if I remember correctly, and that allows you to see the requirements (FMIC (intercooler upgraded), octane level, linear throttle mapping, what stage of tuning the map is for).

When actually flashing the ecu, the gas guage should be lit up without the engine running. Recommend turning radio, fans, and lights off beforehand to conserve power.

With a computer using the AP Manager you won't see the default maps. You'll only see maps you've manually added and logs you've created.

It shows Uninstalled because it has not been installed/flashed/married to your car.

You're all good, just be sure you select the correct map (stage and octane) for your car.

Last edited by neonsteve; 07-28-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:15 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Ok great that's good to hear thanks!

Some of the settings are obvious (octane, FMIC, etc) and I know I can't flash stage 2 or above but is there a list of what's required for stage 1? The reason I ask is the screenshot on the first page of this thread shows a stock 2010 MCS being flashed to stage 1 but a user a few posts back said I should flash stage 0. Currently I have some suspension mods (2009 MCS) but I don't have a FMIC (ordering next week) or any other engine mods and I really don't want to over do it.

After I flash what does the Sports Mode button do? Will it mess with the map or should I continue to use it? I drive with it on all the time currently.

Last edited by spjonez; 07-27-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:11 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
OK, I dug out my AP instruction manual, fought with my scanner, and here's the results --- 6 pages on how to install. Note, this manual was printed in 2010, when support was still active. Pretty sure Cobb Tuning still has updates for the AP Manager.

Be sure you have all the listed mods for any map you install. Map 0 is for the OEM engine --- no mods. Changing maps takes less than a minute, and causes no stress on the ECU. Suspension mods don't count --- note that they aren't listed in the map descriptions.

And, I'm not positive, but I believe the Sport button has the same effect with all the maps, as it does with OEM map --- I almost never use it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AP 1st half.pdf (647.2 KB, 90 views)
AP 2nd half.pdf (870.7 KB, 78 views)
AP 3rd half.pdf (377.3 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-27-2016, 05:23 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Thanks very much for doing that for me!

I've searched around to try to find a list of what's considered stage 1 and all I can find is this: "stage 1 is any mods that are bolt-on. examples include: remap, sports exhaust silencer, air filter or brake pad upgrades"

On another forum I found this:

Stage 1- chip
Stage 2- chip and exhaust
Stage 2+- chip, exhaust, plus extras like intake and piggies, or intercoolers.
Stage 3- - chip, exhaust, k04s, piggies, plus supporting mods.
Stage 3 - k04s, tune, fueling, intercoolers, and downpipes
Stage 3+ big turbos, built motor, etc.

Looking at retailers stage 1 packs vary in parts so I'm not sure what I should pick? Alta's post on page one shows a stage 1 flash on a stock 2010 I have a 2009.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:35 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spjonez
Thanks very much for doing that for me!

I've searched around to try to find a list of what's considered stage 1 and all I can find is this: "stage 1 is any mods that are bolt-on. examples include: remap, sports exhaust silencer, air filter or brake pad upgrades"

On another forum I found this:

Stage 1- chip
Stage 2- chip and exhaust
Stage 2+- chip, exhaust, plus extras like intake and piggies, or intercoolers.
Stage 3- - chip, exhaust, k04s, piggies, plus supporting mods.
Stage 3 - k04s, tune, fueling, intercoolers, and downpipes
Stage 3+ big turbos, built motor, etc.

Looking at retailers stage 1 packs vary in parts so I'm not sure what I should pick? Alta's post on page one shows a stage 1 flash on a stock 2010 I have a 2009.
You need to get the applicable maps for your car's ECU into your computer under the AP Manager. Either the AP itself, or the mgr will show you the required mods for each map. The trick is to "highlite" the map --- it will then display it's reqmts. Easier to read on a computer.

When using an AP map, it's safest to rely on the AP map reqmts, and ignore what other companies require.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
You need to get the applicable maps for your car's ECU into your computer under the AP Manager. Either the AP itself, or the mgr will show you the required mods for each map. The trick is to "highlite" the map --- it will then display it's reqmts. Easier to read on a computer.

When using an AP map, it's safest to rely on the AP map reqmts, and ignore what other companies require.
That's exactly what I was hoping to do but when I open AP Manager on my computer all the lists are blank. There are maps on the AP when it's connected to my car but I can't find an option to transfer those to my computer?

On my laptop in AP Manager when I select Filter: All files all I see are two backups and a datalog file. In a few days I'm placing an order for a few other items. I can buy whatever is needed for Stage 1 as well if I can find out what it requires. I'm buying an intercooler with that order so I was hoping to use the Stage 1 FMIC map.

Is there a place online I can download a list of whatever maps were supposed to be included? I bought this used so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to have and what the other person deleted.

This is what I see in AP Manager which I downloaded from here http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/s...sport-manager:

Last edited by spjonez; 07-27-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:25 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Chances are, the maps on the AP don't match the ECU, and that's why nothing shows when it's connected to your computer. If you could get the ECU number (see "vehicle ID" on pg 12 of the pdf), maybe someone can furnish a copy of the map you want, or instructions on how to find one. My vehicle ID looks something like this --- MINI_US_R56_MCS_0089SU0H810B_152_enc.rom --- the important part is "H810B" and a typical map will be --- -MCS Stage 1 91oct H810B tps.ptm --- BTW, mine is an '07 manual transmission, that started life with an "H520B" ECU --- it received a dealer upgrade 3 - 4 years ago.

If you could post both vehicle ID and your "HXXXB" map number, that might help.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:51 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
I plugged the AP back into my car and it identifies my ECU as "Mini H910B". The maps on the AP all list H910B in the description. I clicked on a few of the Stage 1 maps and low and behold it does show you the requirements on the device! Before I was afraid to click them as I wasn't sure if I'd get a confirmation and I didn't want to accidentally flash my ECU with incorrect maps. It takes a bit of scrolling to see the details but all the Stage 1 maps (non FMIC of course) state they require no modifications and describe how the throttle responds etc.

Based on that I think I'm good to go. I haven't tried flashing it yet as I've had a few glasses of scotch this evening and we all know that's a bad idea. I'll give it a go in the next few days and reply if I run into any issues. This is my first time using a tuner so I was basing my expectations off the screenshots I've seen and most of them showed massive lists of tunes in AP Manager. I doubt I'll ever go over Stage 2 and it will take some time to collect the parts required to feel comfortable reaching that level.

I sincerely appreciate all the help I've received in this thread. Thanks everyone, especially you oldbrokenwind for taking the time to scan the manual for me!

Last edited by spjonez; 07-27-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:18 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can install only a larger FMIC and then use the Stage 1 FMIC map. That's basically what I did with my R55, though I also have a K&N panel filter, hot side boost tube, and Helix 13 FMIC.

With a stage 1 FMIC map installed there is much less lag in the throttle when starting from a stop (the delay between engine idle and starting to accelerate with an automatic transmission) even without the Sport button activated. The Sport button still changes the steering assistance, but I am not sure if the throttle mapping is different with the Sport button. I almost never use it. It seems like it is different from what I remember.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:20 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Very impressed with the Stage 1 TPS map after a lapping day. The linear throttle is throwing me for a loop after being accustomed to the OEM Sports Mode's aggressive throttle. Being able to use Sports Mode's steering response with that map is amazing when you carry speed through corners. Power between 4500-6500 RPM is greatly increased and in 4th gear the car pulls when you step on it which it never did before. The cooling fan runs more frequently. After a 20 minute session and the car was turned off with the hood open it regularly went off and on 3 times. At peak I gained 10km/h on our back straight and shaved almost a full second off my lap time. I have to wonder why Alta stopped selling this product there is definitely a market for them.

Our track is 11 corners and two straights in 2.5KM (1.6m). Definitely not a high speed course but has several blind apexes and 100ft of elevation changes. So much fun :D

Last edited by spjonez; 08-01-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That's good. I would definitely leave the car on longer to cool the turbo right after a session.

I've found that even on "stock" throttle mapping the throttle is a bit too responsive on sport mode. For autox I leave it off sport. Otherwise it's on since heel and toe is easier with quicker response. But I find I can't be precise enough at times

Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
There is an electric water pump that runs for a while after shutting down the engine to cool the turbocharger bearings. There is no need to leave the car on to cool the turbo.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 PM
rawrbot
1st Gear
Does anyone have a list of maps available for a n14 JCW?

Curious what pre-set maps besides Stage 1 that exist (e.g. Stage 2 with DP, intake mods, etc.)

Had an AP for my WRX and loved it. Hoping to find a used unmarried AP in the near future.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:51 AM
spjonez
1st Gear
Has anyone tried using octane booster additives like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DFK2CUHHNKF7XX

The best gas I can buy in my area is 91 octane and only a single vendor sells it without Ethanol. I was thinking of buying a can and boosting it from 91 to 94/95 and testing out the 93 octane maps.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Look around you area and you will find someone selling 95 or 100 octane. Do that rather than the boosters .

Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
VP Racing Fuels sells it in various size containers. Check their website for a local distributer. Maybe try Summit Racing too.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:29 AM
spjonez
1st Gear
I've checked. The closest vendor that sells >91 octane is two provinces away. I live in Nova Scotia Canada, only 3 of our 10 provinces sell >91 octane gas at pumps.

VP says they have a distributor in New Brunswick which is a 5 hour drive away

Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
You can make your own octane booster by adding toluene and naphthalene. Just Google "Home made octane booster" and you will find sites with recipes and charts with how much to add to your gas tank to meet octane targets.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM
TurboJuan
Neutral
Hi guys,
im using ap on stage 3 with the 93 map, anyone knows if adding 100 octane gas will change something without having a tune for it?
Im also thinking of adding a methanol kit, any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 AM
MonzMini
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
So... I suppose all these bad boys are gone aren't they?

Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does any one know if you get a catless downpipe and a catback exhaust if the stage 2 tune that's preloaded on the ap will clear the cel??

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread