Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stage 1 is pretty tame since its written for cars that do not have the necessary parts required to push some bigger numbers. It's still a decent improvement though. Keep in mind the FMIC is not something you will see significant gains from. It will alow for a little more timing so there will be a slight power increase, but it's mainly going to allow the engine to sustain power longer and recover faster then the stock IC would.

Like Thumper stated, a stage 3 car will put down some power. Typically on our SoCal dyno we will see around 220 whp and 270 wtq on a MCS with a good intake, FMIC, either a 2.5 catless or 3" catted exhaust and 91 oct.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cmcveay, If you are still going to be running just the intake and FMIC, I recommend just sticking with the stage 1 or stage 1 FMIC maps. Running stage 2 or stage 3 is going to put more stress on your car, since it wouldn't have the parts to support it.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 AM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
cmcveay, If you are still going to be running just the intake and FMIC, I recommend just sticking with the stage 1 or stage 1 FMIC maps. Running stage 2 or stage 3 is going to put more stress on your car, since it wouldn't have the parts to support it.

Chris, I just sent you a PM and then I saw this reply. If you have a few minutes, please reply to that PM or email me from here and give me a rundown on suggestions for the stage 2 and 3 parts.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM
timtim
2nd Gear
I'm a bit shocked with everybody here! I think you all need to re-read what I posted and what cmcveay posted!

I never stated that I have a problem with a 20 hp gain. But based on what ALTA presents on the Sales pages for the Accessport combined with what ALTA_Chris stated here, cmcveay should be seeing about 30-50hp and upwards of a 60 Ftlbs gain considering that he has the FMIC.

And what's this about "Stress on the Car" "Running stage 2 or stage 3" maps? I don't read anywhere about this on the website.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Tim Tim, a stage 2 map is only for a car that is running a 2.5" turbo back exhaust with no cats, or a 3" system with high flow cats.

A stage 3 map is for a car that is running a 2.5" turbo back exhaust with no cats, or a 3" system with high flow cats and an aftermarket FMIC.

Running a stage 2 or stage 3 map with the stock exhaust is going to make the turbo work harder than it should be, and possibly give CELs.

The results we post up where what we have gotten with our ALTA parts on our dyno. The numbers are going to vary with different octane, elevation, air temp, dyno, and parts installed. Even the way fans are set up can make a big difference.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by timtim
Wow, I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed, and I think you should be also... A measly 22hp gain on a JCW with a FMIC running on 92+ octane fuel? The ALTA website shows a 20-40hp gain for a JCW running a Stage 1 map... A regular Stage 1 not the Stage 1 FMIC/92!

Based on what ALTA_Chris stated "The FMIC with stage 1 tune will give you about 10 WHP and 10FT LBS more than the standard stage 1 would be giving you. Plus more consistent power even when it's warm out!"

That should be a minimum of 30-50hp above the stock output! You show only a 22hp gain, I don't get it... where is the 10-30hp you're missing?

I wanna believe but the cool-aide is still a little sour.

What you don't understand is you do not know the stock hp reading for the car. He was getting 206 with the stock tune and all those parts installed. A factory car should not get the numbers that mini is stating. When a manufacturer states a hp reading it is at the fly wheel. The only way someone on here will have a reading like that would be on an engine dyno. The engine would have to be out of the car. The numbers in here would be hp at the wheel. Which would be less that at the engine. Alta has there hp gains with their parts installed. Past stage one you are getting hp increase from tune and parts. I have a JCW that is all stock. I have not had a dyno reading done. I had alta make me a tune to use with my sport button. Let me tell you it is very noticeable. If I am driving and hit the sport button it is like having a nitrous switch. The car takes off like crazy. It is up to you to believe what you want. But with over 2400 post on this product I would have to say it is not snake oil.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 PM
timtim
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spice Orange JCW
What you don't understand is you do not know the stock hp reading for the car. He was getting 206 with the stock tune and all those parts installed. A factory car should not get the numbers that mini is stating. When a manufacturer states a hp reading it is at the fly wheel. The only way someone on here will have a reading like that would be on an engine dyno. The engine would have to be out of the car. The numbers in here would be hp at the wheel. Which would be less that at the engine. Alta has there hp gains with their parts installed. Past stage one you are getting hp increase from tune and parts. I have a JCW that is all stock. I have not had a dyno reading done. I had alta make me a tune to use with my sport button. Let me tell you it is very noticeable. If I am driving and hit the sport button it is like having a nitrous switch. The car takes off like crazy. It is up to you to believe what you want. But with over 2400 post on this product I would have to say it is not snake oil.
I'm sorry you don't understand my point Orange. Based on your response to my post, you either didn't read what I wrote, or you have had some difficulty discerning the meaning of what I wrote. Either way you wasted a lot of words and you still didn't address my question/point!

Listen very closely all of you who responded to my post... I never mentioned power numbers in my post other then to refer to what ALTA states on their website, in their advertisements, and in their postings here, as to Power Gains the buyer of their Accessport should expect to see!

My point and questions relate to the Power Gain that ALTA is Selling, not Flywheel or Wheel readings. BTW, all the Dyno numbers I have ever seen related to this product are Wheel HP&TQ from a chassie dyno not Flywheel numbers.

If ALTA’s product is delivering a 15-25hp gain that's fine... They just shouldn’t be selling it as 30-50hp gain!

Last edited by timtim; 04-09-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2012, 01:08 AM
juchong
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timtim
I'm sorry you don't understand my point Orange. Based on your response to my post, you either didn't read what I wrote, or you have had some difficulty discerning the meaning of what I wrote. Either way you wasted a lot of words and you still didn't address my question/point!
Talk about wasting words... Anyone else think this discussion might better be served in another post other than the designated "AccessPort Help" post?

Interesting topic, though. I'm also curious.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Almost every manufacturer rates gains at the flywheel. It's pretty standard in the industry. It makes the sales aspect easier

Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my computer doesn't like your download and I can't open it, any ideas?

Yes, updating the AccessPORT is super easy. Basically you download the AccessPORT Manager, there's a ling to it on our website. Then you plug the AccessPORT to your computer with the supplied USB cord, then click the "check for updates" button on the AccessPORT Manager.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The website indicates HP gains through the power band, not peak gains. When I was looking at the AP at the end of last year, the charts showed bigger gains in the midrange than peak to peak gains. My 08 MCSa is a different car with the AP installed. Traction is a problem, as stated above. Is the map perfect? No (slight idle surging), but the biggest issue is tripping the traction control at 3500 rpm.

Back to the help topics now.....

Mike

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
did you ever get a new intercooler?

Originally Posted by BamaCooperS
I am now a firm believer in the ALTA AccessPORT and tune!!! I have read the reports from others and although I expected a "boost" from the tune, I wasn't expecting what the tune actually did for my JCW.

I did have one problem. Earlier I had removed the noisemaker from my MINI and had blocked off the noisemaker outlet with a thin-walled silicone pipe cap normally used to protect large bolts during transit. I had no problems with my stock tune, however, after the install of the ALTA tune, a problem did happen. Today was a take-it-out-and-flog-it day. On my 3rd high speed run on a local fun road, when all the red lights on my JCW shift light were on during a shift from 2nd to 3rd, I heard a very loud pop and then a loss of power. I knew immediately what happened, laughed, and drove home with no boost available. As I pulled in the driveway, I did get a P115D code which is what you should expect. I cleared the code with my ScanGauge and replaced the plug with a second silicone plug so I can get back on the road. Then I ordered the DOS noisemaker delete kit. Now, I just have to watch how I drive until I can replace the plug with a stronger unit.

Thanks ALTA for bringing the AccessPORT to the MINI community and for the great customer service I've received.

Now....what about a new intercooler...

Old 04-08-2012, 05:57 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
24 lbs of boost on a 2009 fJCW?

anyone see 24 lbs on your 2009+ JCW?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 AM
igotboost
1st Gear
2011 AAP finished yet!!!???

Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
used another computer and got it!
Originally Posted by JPMM

Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor

Here's a link to the windows version.

Here's a link to the Mac OSX version.

What is your computer telling you after you have downloaded the file? Do you have a Mac or Windows?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM
JPMM
6th Gear

Here's a link to the windows version.

Here's a link to the Mac OSX version.

What is your computer telling you after you have downloaded the file? Do you have a Mac or Windows?
NSIS.SF.net/NSIS.ERROR

Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM
sspreso11
2nd Gear
*Usually slap me if already asked disclaimer*

Has anyone established if the 2012 Coupe JCW engine will work with the AccessPort like 2011 and back JCWs?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
changed the security settings and found some more room , got it to work , but I can't get any updates?

NSIS.SF.net/NSIS.ERROR

Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sspreso11
*Usually slap me if already asked disclaimer*

Has anyone established if the 2012 Coupe JCW engine will work with the AccessPort like 2011 and back JCWs?
The AccessPORT will work on the 2012 JCW Coupe! The ECU and engine hasn't been changed from the older JCWs.

changed the security settings and found some more room , got it to work , but I can't get any updates?
Is the Manager giving you errors when you try to update? There's only an update if the Manager shows the ! in the triangle in the Updates button on the top left hand side of the AccessPORT Manager.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
probably my old 'puter not your manager, I'll keep trying stuff

Is the Manager giving you errors when you try to update? There's only an update if the Manager shows the ! in the triangle in the Updates button on the top left hand side of the AccessPORT Manager.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Accessport newbie here. I got my AP about a month ago. Love the power gains. However, every time I run the car after its been sitting for a while (engine temp cooled down) for the first few minutes there is AAAA LOT of hesitation from the motor. I never try and throttle past it because I’m very nervous about detonation or hurting the car. I’m running the stage 3 “tsp” map. And yes I do have all the aftermarket parts and 92+ octane gas required for this tune. I also did a beta update first thing before installing the tune into the car. Aaannnndd my CEL is on. So I try and read the codes with the AP and it say either “no fault code found” or no codes found followed by “the AP cannot communicate with the car” error. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
sspreso11
2nd Gear
The AccessPORT will work on the 2012 JCW Coupe! The ECU and engine hasn't been changed from the older JCWs.
That right there sold the car. So is 88 miles to soon to flash a tune on it

Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sspreso11
That right there sold the car. So is 88 miles to soon to flash a tune on it
Just watch out the dealer will know.

So I can't believe I missed the **** show here about if this product works or does not work and if Alta is telling the truth of power gains. So I will throw my expierence in here.

I have had my AP for about 9 months. I had my 07 MCS dynoed about 2 years ago with nothing more than an intake, ic piping, fmic, and a JCW exhaust. I got around 160hp/170tq.

Since that time I have installed a catless dp, 2.5in catless exhaust, and did the stage 3 AP tune. Other than the ECu not liking the spike in boost up to 20lbs under heavy load I had the car dyno'd. I got back 200hp/220tq. I am pretty sure it would be better if I would just data log the car for a couple of days and send it in to have it corrected.

So, to say taht Alta is claiming numbers that are to high to reach I am going to have to say that is not true. 40hp/50tq ovewr stock is a pretty substantial gain. Also I could probably get even better numbers if I would clean out the carbon and install my JCW exhaust manifold. Other things are have a head P&P'd and uprgrade the turbo, also maybe an better intake manifold could help.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
barnoun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jaycoop2586
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Accessport newbie here. I got my AP about a month ago. Love the power gains. However, every time I run the car after its been sitting for a while (engine temp cooled down) for the first few minutes there is AAAA LOT of hesitation from the motor. I never try and throttle past it because I’m very nervous about detonation or hurting the car. I’m running the stage 3 “tsp” map. And yes I do have all the aftermarket parts and 92+ octane gas required for this tune. I also did a beta update first thing before installing the tune into the car. Aaannnndd my CEL is on. So I try and read the codes with the AP and it say either “no fault code found” or no codes found followed by “the AP cannot communicate with the car” error. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. [/FONT][/SIZE]
I think the AP can't read fault codes if you're running beta software. Switch to the regular software to have the AP read the codes.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread