Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by redduc
I'll be waiting on Mark (orangecrush). He is a research junkie and he seems totally willing to spend many $$$ on equipment.
broke, but curious too

Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redduc
I'll be waiting on Mark (orangecrush). He is a research junkie and he seems totally willing to spend many $$$ on equipment.
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Thanks SimpsonGI. I, too, will be awaiting Mark's results. He has always struck me as very fair and honest. I honestly believe that he too wants what's best for the MINI community in terms of a reliable, driveable, powerful tune! So....here I am waiting anxiously.
Originally Posted by phlash
Ditto......
Originally Posted by nkatsim
Same here...
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
broke, but curious too
no pressure orangecrush...

Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
So no love for the automatic yet, huh? Hopefully it won't be too long before that issue gets cleared up. I'd also be interested to see how Alta adapts to all of the modifications from different manufacturers. Some people don't have any Alta products on their car. Hopefully if the tune has a problem playing well with one or more mods, they'll be able to fix it.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Thanks SimpsonGI. I, too, will be awaiting Mark's results. He has always struck me as very fair and honest. I honestly believe that he too wants what's best for the MINI community in terms of a reliable, driveable, powerful tune! So....here I am waiting anxiously.
I put together an RMW tune party for my club last month before I found out that ALTA was close to releasing their tool. I was very pleased with the RMW tune which is why I haven't wanted to compare the two tunes. Jan has talked about being able to suppress codes and adding the P&B but he hasn't done it yet. I am honest and I think fair too and I'll tell it how is. The more people who chime in that actually have an AP, the better.

My dyno was done at ALTA but that should be irrelevant.

As more people get their hands on the AP, more of you should start seeing that the tool is well worth the price for all it can do and the tune isn't too shabby either

Last edited by SimpsonGI; 08-20-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I forsee a mess of new tires being bought. lol

Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by richardsperry
I forsee a mess of new tires being bought. lol
So do I, so do I. It's been hell on my tires, even more sore than with my RMW tune and I thought that was bad for 'em (in a good way of course).

Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 AM
konijay
2nd Gear
couple Qs...

1. can AP be sold to someone when I no longer own a Mini?...ie. trading in
2. can this tune NOT include the throttle booster?...I did not like sprint booster at all...didn't like unnatural feel of the throttle and too jumpy...hard to keep the rev at 1200-1500 and I do want the Sport button on.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
akng
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALTA2
You got it! Here is a dyno graph of a stage 1 JCW. This is a stock JCW ran on our dyno, then flashed with our Stage 1 map.

I am also in a similar situation as the guy who asked for this dyno. But I got a 2009 R56 Cooper S with the JCW Engine Tuning Kit (Stage 1) with no other modifications besides a MINI Mania Drop-in Filter. I would really like to see how the ALTA Tune compares to the JCW Engine Tuning Kit (Stage 1). But in this dyno, it seems to be comparing a stock JCW Factory car with stock tune vs with ALTA tune. It doesn't seem to answer the question from the other guy. I would appreciate if you can show us exactly what we wanna see. I am seriously considering getting this soon. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
dj.papazian
3rd Gear
akng, a factory jcw mini already comes flashed with its own tune. generally, a stock 09 factory jcw mini should be giving out around 205-210 horsepower, and around 207 torque (when in sport mode/overboost). So if im not mistaken, this dyno graph seems to be showing a stock 09 jcw with its regular tune compared to an 09 jcw with the ALTA flash, as your asking for.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
No he is asking for Accesport vs MCS with jcw tune, not jcw with jcw tune.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dj.papazian
akng, a factory jcw mini already comes flashed with its own tune. generally, a stock 09 factory jcw mini should be giving out around 205-210 horsepower, and around 207 torque (when in sport mode/overboost). So if im not mistaken, this dyno graph seems to be showing a stock 09 jcw with its regular tune compared to an 09 jcw with the ALTA flash, as your asking for.
I don't believe so. Mine is an R56 Cooper S with Stage 1 Tune, which is like 192HP (vs 172HP on the stock Cooper S without the Tune), while the R56 JCW Factory Car (what people here referred to as Stage 2) is 208HP. The 2 cars have different engines and comparing with a stock JCW Factory car is not the same as comparing with a Cooper S with JCW Stage 1 Tune! That's why I posted to ask for the correct dyno!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If we happen to be close to a Cobb tuning shop, can we go there and get a dyno tune? If we might have something more complex... like a ported head and some Schrick cams?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 AM
jeremyjcw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by btwdriver
If we happen to be close to a Cobb tuning shop, can we go there and get a dyno tune? If we might have something more complex... like a ported head and some Schrick cams?
+1

Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I got a chance to do a 0-70 run. It's obviously stronger than the other tune I had. I also hit 22psi on my boost gauge in third.

The throttle is not too sensitive at all with the alta tune. I'll probably ask jeff to make it a little more sensitive. My other tune had a much more sensitive throttle.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by XaLia
Jeff i have a european mini cooper s 2007 with a gt2560r turbo kit and all the ALTA parts do you believe that you can make a tune for this and how much whp you believe it can achieve??
Now it produces 300 bhp on a maha dyno..
We can make tune for this and since our Gt2560R turbo kit made 280WHP i think that 300WHP could be doable! But at this point no Euro support. This is something else we are working on.

Originally Posted by konijay
couple Qs...

1. can AP be sold to someone when I no longer own a Mini?...ie. trading in
2. can this tune NOT include the throttle booster?...I did not like sprint booster at all...didn't like unnatural feel of the throttle and too jumpy...hard to keep the rev at 1200-1500 and I do want the Sport button on.
1.for sure! You just uninstall it and its now available to be to any other Mini owner.
2.Glad you said that! We are shipping map with the stock throttle settings and we have a more linear natural feeling throttle map that we can send out. This linear throttle mapping is perfect in my opinion, but we were hesitant to put it on all AccessPORTs because it feels less responsive. But after you drive on it for a day, you will love it! We don't want to integrate this into the maps quite yet, as we would like to get more opinions from customers about what they like.

Originally Posted by akng
I am also in a similar situation as the guy who asked for this dyno. But I got a 2009 R56 Cooper S with the JCW Engine Tuning Kit (Stage 1) with no other modifications besides a MINI Mania Drop-in Filter. I would really like to see how the ALTA Tune compares to the JCW Engine Tuning Kit (Stage 1). But in this dyno, it seems to be comparing a stock JCW Factory car with stock tune vs with ALTA tune. It doesn't seem to answer the question from the other guy. I would appreciate if you can show us exactly what we wanna see. I am seriously considering getting this soon. Thanks!
I am sorry, i didn't catch that you have a Cooper S with the JCW flash. So I have not dynoed one of those! But if you live close come on by lets do it!

Cobbs satellite offices will be the first ones to offer dyno tuning besides us directly. Its going to be a bit of time before that happens. Those who are interested in custom dyno tuning, send me an email! I would like to ask a few more questions off line.

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I got a chance to do a 0-70 run. It's obviously stronger than the other tune I had. I also hit 22psi on my boost gauge in third.

The throttle is not too sensitive at all with the alta tune. I'll probably ask jeff to make it a little more sensitive. My other tune had a much more sensitive throttle.
I can surely make the throttle a bit different. I have 3 versions that i think will suite most peoples needs. Basically stock non-sport, linear from about 30% on up, and then one that is 100% linear at all RPM's. After more people get the AccessPORT and start using them, i hope to get opinions from people so we can nail down what people really want.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2

I am sorry, i didn't catch that you have a Cooper S with the JCW flash. So I have not dynoed one of those! But if you live close come on by lets do it!
I would if I live closer! I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, so that's too far away for me!

Anyhow, I will just keep checking the ALTA website in the future and hope I will see a dyno soon in the near future then!

Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
Countryboyshane,

I've been testing the AP for four weeks now. I haven't taken it anywhere else to put it on a dyno as I haven't felt the need to do so. I'd be happy to share my testing experience with you. Send me a PM or email. I have an automatic and the tune isn't finalized yet but it is close.

Gary
No need to PM. Not to be harsh, but you're pretty much obligated to go to a third party dyno shop and post the results to NAM now This would help a lot of people who are on the fence make some decisions.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Alta,

At what duty cycle are the injectors operating on the stage 3 tune for the R56?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Can we see an AFR graph?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Alta,

At what duty cycle are the injectors operating on the stage 3 tune for the R56?
You can not look at injector duty cycle with a Direct Injection engine the same way that you can with say an R53. With an R53 you could theoretically open the injector up 100% of the time (in reality injectors need to be kept to 80% or less), then once the inlet valve opens the cylinder would ingest the total volume of fuel dispensed.

A DI engine runs the injectors in several different modes, even dispensing fuel at multiple times during a combustion cycle. The two different modes the injectors run in are 1) Stratified charge mode - this is where the injector injects fuel during the compression stroke right before the plug fires. This is done during low engine load to run leaner fuel mixtures. The fuel gets injected so late that there is basically no time for the cylinder to detonate, because as soon as the fuel is delivered the plug fires. 2) The second mode is called Homogenous. During this mode, fuel is beginning to get injected during the intake stroke. Depending on the cam overlap and probably several things to which I am completely ignorant of, you would have a maximum amount of time available of only a traditional 50% duty cycle in which you can even inject fuel. The other 50% of the time is consumed by the power and exhaust stroke.

The extremely short duration of time that you have to deliver fuel in a DI engine is why you see such high fuel pressures. The R56's for example run fuel pressures well up into 1700psi. Compare this to a traditional fuel injection system pressure of 30-60psi.

That being said, I think the point of the question is... how close to maximum capacity are we on the stock R56 injectors. I would love to know the answer to that.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That being said, I think the point of the question is... how close to maximum capacity are we on the stock R56 injectors. I would love to know the answer to that.
Czar knows a lot of that info, maybe he'll chime in

Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM
jeremyjcw
1st Gear
No need to PM. Not to be harsh, but you're pretty much obligated to go to a third party dyno shop and post the results to NAM now This would help a lot of people who are on the fence make some decisions.
Why should he feel obligated? I think he's doing a great job sharing with this forum his opinion and experiences about a brand new product.

Last edited by jeremyjcw; 08-20-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
You can not look at injector duty cycle with a Direct Injection engine the same way that you can with say an R53. With an R53 you could theoretically open the injector up 100% of the time (in reality injectors need to be kept to 80% or less), then once the inlet valve opens the cylinder would ingest the total volume of fuel dispensed.

A DI engine runs the injectors in several different modes, even dispensing fuel at multiple times during a combustion cycle. The two different modes the injectors run in are 1) Stratified charge mode - this is where the injector injects fuel during the compression stroke right before the plug fires. This is done during low engine load to run leaner fuel mixtures. The fuel gets injected so late that there is basically no time for the cylinder to detonate, because as soon as the fuel is delivered the plug fires. 2) The second mode is called Homogenous. During this mode, fuel is beginning to get injected during the intake stroke. Depending on the cam overlap and probably several things to which I am completely ignorant of, you would have a maximum amount of time available of only a traditional 50% duty cycle in which you can even inject fuel. The other 50% of the time is consumed by the power and exhaust stroke.

The extremely short duration of time that you have to deliver fuel in a DI engine is why you see such high fuel pressures. The R56's for example run fuel pressures well up into 1700psi. Compare this to a traditional fuel injection system pressure of 30-60psi.

Ummm that's pretty much what I meant. I have experience with high pressure fuel rails as we use them in all our diesel engines at work. It's a blessing that the '07-'09 now has an extended warranty from MINI. That's one expensive part!

Last edited by countryboyshane; 08-20-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 PM
SimpsonGI
I can't afford to pay to go a shop to put it on a dyno. I'm broke now after paying for the AP.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by jeremyjcw
Why should he feel obligated? I think he's doing a great job sharing with this forum his opinion and experiences about a brand new product.
Thanks! I was kind of thinking the same thing. I can't afford to take it to a dyno shop at the moment anyway so I didn't bring that up in my initial response. If people don't trust the dyno from ALTA, well, they will just have to wait for others to post their dyno charts.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread