Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One potential problem - at least for me - is that the data logging program appears to be PC based - is there a MAC version?

Dennis

Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by cop1406; 05-18-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubmaste00
One potential problem - at least for me - is that the data logging program appears to be PC based - is there a MAC version?

Dennis

Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM
skippydog
3rd Gear
Can users swap maps between themselves?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I have the JCW kit without any additional performance mods. What kind of numbers would I be looking at gaining. Would it put me in the neighborhood of a factory JCW or even more power than that?

I think I saw a 25 HP gain on an S which is just slightly higher than a JCW kit output. I am assuming that since mine is the JCW kit, the power gain would be from the base output [172 hp] and not the gain from the JCW tune [189 hp].

Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 AM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2

I spell out all the maps we would be here for a long time. There are tons and tons of maps we don't mess with that have nothing to do with being able to make power. But the 30-ish different maps we modify while tuning a car is about 5 times the maps Dimsport gives their tuners. When it comes down to it, the number of maps isn't that important. Its having the ability to adjust maps that are keeping the engine from making more power! There are tons of maps limiting boost, torque, timing, fueling and you name it!
I guess my real question here is do you have the ability to view and modify all 2000 or so maps that are contained within the ECU? I understand they are not all needed to tune a car, I am just trying to get a feel for how much of the ECU you have decoded. It helps me understand more of the details and sophistication surrounding this tuning solution.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Jeff,
I didn't mean you "sugar coating" or fluffing up the data in any way. I was speaking in terms of sort of what we've all been doing (I think) and that is, nobody will come out and say that this is a better tune than RMW provides. I understand the sensitivity and politics and that's what I am referring to. For sure the accessport appears to be a far more usable tool. Like you said and others have said...it's not simply a means to "flash" the maps back and forth. It is a data reader, logger, etc....etc.

It all boils down to who has the best tune. The accessport is icing on the cake for people who might not have a code reader or on board instrumentation but who's tune is "king?" Who's tune has the best usable performance and which one has the best driveability?

This is what I am waiting to hear. And....once the news is out and it's as good as I hope it will be, I know where I will be getting a tune from.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
skithund
Neutral
Is this US only at the moment? Any plans for EU ones? My WC50 needs treatment

Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Holy crap, if the actual real world results are anything like the numbers you posted on the ALTA site, that's impressive!!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by czar
I have tried E85 here in the UK, on my stock Clubman Cooper S, and the ECU without a tune managed to self adapt quite well to the E85 fuel, however when we tuned for the E85 fuel, the difference was noticeable to say the least, the high compression of the Cooper S (10.5:1) was in the fuels favour.

My next step will be to try 100% grade A racing Methanol (Alcohol) with the stock injectors, and then my larger injectors, and possibly my larger pump/s, if necessary!

I will also be doing tests with the different unleaded racing fuels too, ECU self adaption, and when specifically tuned for the use of the racing fuels.
That sounds awesome!

Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
Well my wifes JCW Clubman has ATLA CAI, hot and cold boost tubes, and another brands DP (Alta was out of stock when purchasing). I want two AP one for hers and one for my WC50. Plus we will probably purchase two intercoolers. $1600 for a pair of AP is pretty steep. Especially when you see that the Subaru AP is $595.
I have used the AP in stock, StreetTuner, and ProTuner versions for the Subaru in the past.

I want a full range of maps to be provided for all AP users. I would like it to come with 8-12 maps preloaded so that I can plug it in, select the map that matches my current build and go.

I did beta testing with Cobb in the Subaru's quite a few years ago on maps to be released into the public.
The thing to consider its not a Subaru AP. The GTR AP is much more expensive for the same reason as this one is. This has to do with development time more than anything. The basic structure of the Subaru ECU is simple and has been the same for years and that is why Cobb can get those out quickly and offer them cheaper. Also there are way more Subaru's out there than Mini or GTR's. The Mini ECU is way way different and has taken tons of both companies man hours to get to where we are today hence a higher price.

Initially we are not putting all the maps on to the ALTA AccessPORT. After we feel all of them maps are dialed and they are were customers want, they will be on the AccessPORT and on our site for download. Check your PM's!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:24 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
The videos won't work for me for some reason. This may be answered by one of them, but...

Isn't Alta's dyno the type that you bolt to the hub with the wheels and tires romoved? That alone is going to show better #'s

I might be wrong, and I'm not trying to make waves. Just curious. I too am watching this. If no one buys my car I will be putting a catless downpipe on it as soon as someone really figures out the CEL issue. RMW, Alta, or who ever.

Also, when I had my car tuned, I saw first hand that after the ECU is reflashed it gives a false high reading on the first pull. At least in some cases. Is that the case with your tool/tunes? If so, these #'s that you posted are not that initial pull, right?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 PM
jeremyjcw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 09MellowJCW
Isn't Alta's dyno the type that you bolt to the hub with the wheels and tires romoved? That alone is going to show better #'s

I might be wrong, and I'm not trying to make waves. Just curious.
Before and after on the same dyno is what you should be concerned with. If they dynoed the car in stock form on a low reading dyno (whatever the type), then switched to another dyno then there would be cause for concern. Since Alta is able to tune the car by downloading a map, they can keep the car on the same dyno, same day, almost identical atmospheric conditions, etc. Essentially the runs can be back to back.

If you're just looking for peak numbers to tell people about, I'm sure you can find a dyno that reads much higher than Alta's...

Old 08-19-2010, 02:12 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
I know all of this. Thus the second part of my question. I was directing it more towards Alta... Thanks though

Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Jeff,
I didn't mean you "sugar coating" or fluffing up the data in any way. I was speaking in terms of sort of what we've all been doing (I think) and that is, nobody will come out and say that this is a better tune than RMW provides. I understand the sensitivity and politics and that's what I am referring to. For sure the accessport appears to be a far more usable tool. Like you said and others have said...it's not simply a means to "flash" the maps back and forth. It is a data reader, logger, etc....etc.

It all boils down to who has the best tune. The accessport is icing on the cake for people who might not have a code reader or on board instrumentation but who's tune is "king?" Who's tune has the best usable performance and which one has the best driveability?

This is what I am waiting to hear. And....once the news is out and it's as good as I hope it will be, I know where I will be getting a tune from.
The "best" tune is very subjective. In the end, you'll have to make your own choice as to which is better for you. I have a custom ALTA tune and a custom RMW tune. My MCSa was put on the same dyno and had runs with each tune. Both tunes had roughly the same high end HP. The ALTA tune had more (10-15) low and mid range HP up until around 5500 RPM where they had the same HP. The ALTA tune has 20-25 more torque at the low and mid range up until just under between 5000 and 5500 RPM and at that point they even out. The ALTA tune has removed the CELs caused from my ALTA DP, I have the pop and burble effect in my exhaust and I get 20 PSI of boost in 2nd gear.

RMW is widely considered to be one of the top MINI tuners. ALTA took a huge reputation hit when they sold the UniChip for the MINI. The tune ALTA put on the UniChip produced great power, but as we all know the UniChip was a bust due to wiring harness issues from its manufacturer.

My RMW tune does not currently prevent my DP related CELs, it does not have the P&B, the 2nd gear boost is still limited (I've asked for an updated map and haven't received it yet). I'm hoping RMW will continue to send me updates as Jan unlocks more of the ECU maps. To get an RMW tune and remote tuning tool (MyGenius) for the R55/R56 it will cost $869 (500 for the tune and 369 for the tool). If you want to reset the tool so it can be used on another MINI, it will cost $150 plus probably an additional charge for a new map. If you add parts and need a new map, I believe the update cost is $50.

My intentions have been to keep both tunes and use whichever tune I think works best for my MINI and my driving style at the time. If/when I get a new map from RMW, I'll try it out. I'm hopeful that Jan will continue to unlock portions of the ECU and send me updated maps. I'm also hopeful that Jeff will continue to make progress and add in more features with the ALTA maps. As ALTA sends me updated maps, I'll try them out. I think both companies have excellent tunes and you couldn't go wrong with either one. Each consumer will need to decide which is best for them and their MINI. I will not tell you one tune is better than the other, you'll need to go with your instincts and pick the one you think will be better for your MINI.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
The "best" tune is very subjective. In the end, you'll have to make your own choice as to which is better for you. I have a custom ALTA tune and a custom RMW tune. My MCSa was put on the same dyno and had runs with each tune. Both tunes had roughly the same high end HP. The ALTA tune had more (10-15) low and mid range HP up until around 5500 RPM where they had the same HP. The ALTA tune has 20-25 more torque at the low and mid range up until just under between 5000 and 5500 RPM and at that point they even out. The ALTA tune has removed the CELs caused from my ALTA DP, I have the pop and burble effect in my exhaust and I get 20 PSI of boost in 2nd gear.

RMW is widely considered to be one of the top MINI tuners. ALTA took a huge reputation hit when they sold the UniChip for the MINI. The tune ALTA put on the UniChip produced great power, but as we all know the UniChip was a bust due to wiring harness issues from its manufacturer.

My RMW tune does not currently prevent my DP related CELs, it does not have the P&B, the 2nd gear boost is still limited (I've asked for an updated map and haven't received it yet). I'm hoping RMW will continue to send me updates as Jan unlocks more of the ECU maps. To get an RMW tune and remote tuning tool (MyGenius) for the R55/R56 it will cost $869 (500 for the tune and 369 for the tool). If you want to reset the tool so it can be used on another MINI, it will cost $150 plus probably an additional charge for a new map. If you add parts and need a new map, I believe the update cost is $50.

My intentions have been to keep both tunes and use whichever tune I think works best for my MINI and my driving style at the time. If/when I get a new map from RMW, I'll try it out. I'm hopeful that Jan will continue to unlock portions of the ECU and send me updated maps. I'm also hopeful that Jeff will continue to make progress and add in more features with the ALTA maps. As ALTA sends me updated maps, I'll try them out. I think both companies have excellent tunes and you couldn't go wrong with either one. Each consumer will need to decide which is best for them and their MINI. I will not tell you one tune is better than the other, you'll need to go with your instincts and pick the one you think will be better for your MINI.

not add fuel to the fire but i have a relatively new RMW tune and i am able to see 20 psi in second and with traction control off 18 + or - 1 lbs in first.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 08-19-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
not add fuel to the fire but i have a relatively new RMW tune and i am able to see 20 psi
Yep, I requested and updated file two days ago, still waiting for it.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Since i dont have an aftermarket FMIC i only get to run it hard for a little bit before the stock fmic heat soaks

Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2
With that said RMW is for sure a great tuner, but they do not have proper tools to really tune these cars. I have only dynoed one custom dyno tuned RMW tune. For sure his tune is good and produces the power he says it will, but we can still get more!

But the 30-ish different maps we modify while tuning a car is about 5 times the maps Dimsport gives their tuners. When it comes down to it, the number of maps isn't that important. Its having the ability to adjust maps that are keeping the engine from making more power! There are tons of maps limiting boost, torque, timing, fueling and you name it!
The ability to understand and use Dimsport effectively is what dictates how successful a tuner will be with it. Lots of tuners use Dimsport, but a vast majority of them have absolutely no idea how to even work it correctly. It's not user/tuner friendly at all. A lot of the pre-set maps that Dimsport gives its tuners are not even labeled correctly, and it takes a lot of time to figure everything out. (Stupid Italians ) But, as I'm sure you know, since you guys have Dimsport...it does give you the ability to adjust anything in the entire eprom. It's just a matter of building your own maps for it once you find what you need.

Most of the work that Jan has done with it, is from his own poking around in the eprom, finding new maps on his own. Takes a tremendous amount of time and effort. Considering he doesn't own an R56, or have a "shop r56," it's taken a long time to get anything done. And when he travels around doing tunes, he can't try a lot of the new stuff because if there were issues to arise, he'd be back in OC and the car is on the East Coast.

Not saying yours or dimsport is better, just further clarifying what you brought up for those that are not familiar with Dimsport.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Guys, been super busy with AccessPORT calls and IM's today, sorry if the posts have been slow!

Originally Posted by Clubmaste00

Dennis
Yes and no! So first if you have Parellels, Boot camp or VMware Fusion, and of course Windows, you are good to go! Secondly the AccessPORT it self logs the data and stores it. You just need a PC to pull it off and email. But realistically, you won't need to do datalogging unless we ask you to.

Originally Posted by cop1406
Can you make the pop and burble accessible only when the sport mode is on? I believe thats what the 2011's are going to do...

Larry
When we do the pop and burble stuff, it will be on both maps initially. But that is a good suggestion for the future to make the sport button change this.

Originally Posted by skippydog
Can users swap maps between themselves?
Absolutely! With the AccessPORT plugged it, its about 1 min to change a map (just can't do it while driving)

Originally Posted by callahan00
I have the JCW kit without any additional performance mods. What kind of numbers would I be looking at gaining. Would it put me in the neighborhood of a factory JCW or even more power than that?

I think I saw a 25 HP gain on an S which is just slightly higher than a JCW kit output. I am assuming that since mine is the JCW kit, the power gain would be from the base output [172 hp] and not the gain from the JCW tune [189 hp].
You got it! Here is a dyno graph of a stage 1 JCW. This is a stock JCW ran on our dyno, then flashed with our Stage 1 map.

Originally Posted by btwdriver
I guess my real question here is do you have the ability to view and modify all 2000 or so maps that are contained within the ECU? I understand they are not all needed to tune a car, I am just trying to get a feel for how much of the ECU you have decoded. It helps me understand more of the details and sophistication surrounding this tuning solution.
I can tell you that it is far more sophisticated than you could guess. Spending time decoding maps that are not needed would have taken even longer than it has. So no not all 2000. Lets just say that starting with one boost type map, leads you to another until you see another map holding you and and so on and so on. This approach for fueling, timing, boost, Cam advance, RPM limits, and Throttle mapping has given us full control over all these things!

I am putting together a "What can ALTA do with the AccessPORT" in regards to mapping. I think you will find this useful.

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
Jeff,

For sure some are going to feel the same as you. Meaning, they just want the tune and the other goodies are just bonus. I really do feel we can make the most power, we can make the more drivable that it is with no tune (no part throttle craziness) so i guess you be ringing me in a few weeks!

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Holy crap, if the actual real world results are anything like the numbers you posted on the ALTA site, that's impressive!!
Those are pretty good real world examples. Since we have finallized most of the maps over the last month or two in the hot weather they are if anything a little low.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
If you are within driving distance to our shop please stop by this Saturday between 10am-4pm to see the ALTA AccessPORT first hand.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer

I might be wrong, and I'm not trying to make waves. Just curious. I too am watching this. If no one buys my car I will be putting a catless downpipe on it as soon as someone really figures out the CEL issue. RMW, Alta, or who ever.
Yup its a Dynapack dyno so it bolts to the hubs. That in is self isnt' what makes them read higher or lower. There are quite a few factors, how they are setup and also how the dyno operator sets it up. But even if its high or low, the before and after is whats important. I know that all the R56s make about 170 on our dyno(high, but all of them make more HP than they should) and JCW's right around 200WHP.

Also, when I had my car tuned, I saw first hand that after the ECU is reflashed it gives a false high reading on the first pull. At least in some cases. Is that the case with your tool/tunes? If so, these #'s that you posted are not that initial pull, right?
Not at all! The ECU has a bunch of learning it does, one of them is boost. The first run after a flash can be high or low, then the second is almost perfect, then the third is happy. We don't just run one time, change, run change run. ITs more like 5 runs until it settles, change , 2-3 runs, change and so on. I can see if it hitting the targeted load and torque in 1 run, and it pretty much takes 2 before its solid.

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
The ability to understand and use Dimsport effectively is what dictates how successful a tuner will be with it. Lots of tuners use Dimsport, but a vast majority of them have absolutely no idea how to even work it correctly. It's not user/tuner friendly at all. A lot of the pre-set maps that Dimsport gives its tuners are not even labeled correctly, and it takes a lot of time to figure everything out. (Stupid Italians ) But, as I'm sure you know, since you guys have Dimsport...it does give you the ability to adjust anything in the entire eprom. It's just a matter of building your own maps for it once you find what you need.

Not saying yours or dimsport is better, just further clarifying what you brought up for those that are not familiar with Dimsport.
That is true Dimsport, gives you freedom to change whatever. BUt its like being thrown in downtown Milan, Italy with a road map showing 5 coffee shops near by, then being asked to find 30 others with no map. You can wonder around until you find them but it will take you a really long time.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Just so you all know, we have been building on a FAQ section at the beginning of this thread. Check it out!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
The real question is, what kind of gains would one see from tuning a stock MCSa?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:27 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dear Alta,

I have been burned by you guys a couple of times in the past. This tuning device looks really pretty on the forums but I am wanting more on the testing experience side. I see you have posted Dyno graphs, but they are from your internal dyno setup. Could you please contact people that have tested this unit and have them post dyno graphs from third parties? I would like to hear what these testers have said about the product. How long did these testers get to use the product? What type of long term study did you conduct? You can hoot and holler all you want about this product but I want to see a multitude of testing results and from the horses mouth if ya know what I mean. I want to see engineering data and less marketing hub bub.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just a side note... the marketplace is a riot!! THREE dimsport mygenius flash tools on sale...

heehee... i wooonnddeerrr why

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread