Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes

Old 09-01-2016, 06:19 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Has anyone run a JCW turbo on a S or the Alta turbo on a S using just the stage 3 tune?

(Including supporting FMIC and 3")

Old 09-04-2016, 10:39 AM
spjonez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turns out it wasn't bad gas throwing knock codes. I removed the tune until I could figure out what it was and I had my engine walnut blasted. I posted pics in another thread it was pretty bad. After the blast I'm happy to say I'm running the Stage 1 FMIC TPS 91 octane map without any knock codes!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spjonez
Turns out it wasn't bad gas throwing knock codes. I removed the tune until I could figure out what it was and I had my engine walnut blasted. I posted pics in another thread it was pretty bad. After the blast I'm happy to say I'm running the Stage 1 FMIC TPS 91 octane map without any knock codes!
Nice! The walnut shell blasting alone improved throttle response and felt like 5-10 horsepower (but dyno) in my R55S automatic, so along with the tune your Mini must feel great now. I knew that dirty intake valves could cause misfires but I hadn't heard of it causing knock before.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:37 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Originally Posted by neonsteve
Nice! The walnut shell blasting alone improved throttle response and felt like 5-10 horsepower (but dyno) in my R55S automatic, so along with the tune your Mini must feel great now. I knew that dirty intake valves could cause misfires but I hadn't heard of it causing knock before.
It was pretty bad. Here's pics odometer is at 86,000km I bought it used 2y ago at 74,000km. I spent 8h at the track today 1/2h on 1/2 off and didn't have a single knock code all day. I'm amazed at what carbon buildup does to our engines.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
=)

Last edited by Drowninginlust; 09-06-2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: forgot to quote the post I was responding to
Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
Has anyone run a JCW turbo on a S or the Alta turbo on a S using just the stage 3 tune?

(Including supporting FMIC and 3")
Unfortunately I think I am, got my turbo replaced under warranty and Im not sure they ordered the right one because I can't stop hitting the F**king boost ceiling now. Its almost comical I went from slightly underboost to no boost since it cuts from the lightest feather of the throttle.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
It was pretty bad. Here's pics odometer is at 86,000km I bought it used 2y ago at 74,000km. I spent 8h at the track today 1/2h on 1/2 off and didn't have a single knock code all day. I'm amazed at what carbon buildup does to our engines.
Mine was just as bad at 55,000 miles. This was the worst cylinder but the others were nearly as bad. Interesting how some of the buildup has a wet appearance and some is dry.

2009 MINI Cooper S Clubman intake valve buildup after 55,000 miles.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:21 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
First post, new guy, 2 month Mini owner. Just received an Accessport I bought and will be installing tomorrow afternoon after I install my new wheels and tires. Hope all goes well. Wish me luck!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:06 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
I'm reading that the AP downloads my ECU into the AP. Shouldn't i see it when i connect to my PC to save there? When I go to ECU Data in the manager I see no files.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:17 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Good to know nothing blew up at track with the tune.

I ran mine at Sebring with tune on. Didn't matter if it was stage 1 or 2. Limp mode within half a lap.

Probably the same wastegate issue I mentioned. Though I made sure not to get on it at low RPM. It always happened in a higher gear like 4th or 5th.

Also with Stage 2 map, boost was surging and inconsistent. Took off tune and car ran perfect for 6 other sessions. I'm skeptical of AP tunes at best.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
Why do Cobb and Alta both give us the run around with this thing. I understand wanting to lock down the software back when they were going to offer the custom tunes from a handful of "qualified" tuners, but now the tuner they listed is gone. When you call they act like they have no idea what a custom tune is... as if it was never an advertised feature. All I want is the ability to fix the BROKEN OTS maps! Why should I be punished because you couldn't get along? Alta says they don't have a copy of the software and Cobb says Alta wont let them release the software (even to registered dealers) due to contract restrictions. Not what I expected from a joint project between two "reputable" companies.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:16 PM
bertyboy69
1st Gear
Hoping for a little help here. I just had my mini serviced at a stealership. I have some check engine codes that I have been struggling with. They returned the car, I still have the error codes for an inefficient cat. However I can no longer connect to my AP to view live data or retune. When attempting to view live data I get an Error 1014 and when trying to return it just sits at "contacting ecu" This is a problem because i tuned back down to stock map to make sure that wasnt giving me my previous errors.

The ap shows as installed, and liked to the car. Its running firmware 1.6. I have never even hooked it up to the computer. I bought the AP maybe 4 yrs ago , tuned to stage 3 and never touched it again until this CEL.

PLEASE HELP.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 PM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bertyboy69
Hoping for a little help here. I just had my mini serviced at a stealership. I have some check engine codes that I have been struggling with. They returned the car, I still have the error codes for an inefficient cat. However I can no longer connect to my AP to view live data or retune. When attempting to view live data I get an Error 1014 and when trying to return it just sits at "contacting ecu" This is a problem because i tuned back down to stock map to make sure that wasnt giving me my previous errors.

The ap shows as installed, and liked to the car. Its running firmware 1.6. I have never even hooked it up to the computer. I bought the AP maybe 4 yrs ago , tuned to stage 3 and never touched it again until this CEL.

PLEASE HELP.
Did you uninstall the ap or just load the stock map? If you just loaded the stock map they could have updated your Ecu making the ap think that it's another car

Old 10-07-2016, 08:59 PM
bertyboy69
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SpuuDy
Did you uninstall the ap or just load the stock map? If you just loaded the stock map they could have updated your Ecu making the ap think that it's another car
I only installed the stock map. i did not uninstall. Please tell me im not screwed....

Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Boosty
2nd Gear
Just curious what are tuning options now for the r56 since Cobb and Alta don't work together on this anymore?
Just find a tuner I'm assuming?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sell your AP and get a manic racing tune

Old 10-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear

PLEASE HELP.
Try uninstalling the accessport fully, if you can't it's time to call Cobb. They are really cool and will still support repairs and unlocking even though they have cut ties with the product. If what you're saying is the truth they may be able to check your vin in the stored ecu image and then compare it. I don't see why they would charge you for an unlock if it is in fact the same car but who knows. It's also very possible that your new ecu version isn't supported by the access port, plug it into the computer and check for updates. If it is on an unsupported version try to find an independent shop with an AUTO LOGIC, I'm 99% sure they can use it to flash older software ( I did it years ago but it may be circumstantial)

Old 10-08-2016, 06:29 PM
bertyboy69
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Drowninginlust
Try uninstalling the accessport fully, if you can't it's time to call Cobb. They are really cool and will still support repairs and unlocking even though they have cut ties with the product. If what you're saying is the truth they may be able to check your vin in the stored ecu image and then compare it. I don't see why they would charge you for an unlock if it is in fact the same car but who knows. It's also very possible that your new ecu version isn't supported by the access port, plug it into the computer and check for updates. If it is on an unsupported version try to find an independent shop with an AUTO LOGIC, I'm 99% sure they can use it to flash older software ( I did it years ago but it may be circumstantial)
Thank you ! so im one step further but still screwed. Now i can connect to the car and view live data and such , however it thinks its a different car so I cannot tune :( Is there anything else I can do but call cobb and pray they dont charge me? I purchased it new from alta, im going to try to get a receipt and hopefully they will show some courtesy on the reset.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:55 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Thank you ! so im one step further but still screwed. Now i can connect to the car and view live data and such , however it thinks its a different car so I cannot tune :( Is there anything else I can do but call cobb and pray they dont charge me? I purchased it new from alta, im going to try to get a receipt and hopefully they will show some courtesy on the reset.
Why don't you just call Cobb and find out?

Whatever dealer did seems to have updated the ECU and it doesn't match what the AP recognized last.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Did you update your firmware on the accessport? You need to connect it to pc and get the latest firmware installed. What is the AP showing when you are trying to uninstall? I had a problem uninstalling it once. After I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, it worked just fine. Not sure what the problem was. Make sure that the battery is fully charged though before doing the uninstall.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Drowninginlust
Why do Cobb and Alta both give us the run around with this thing. I understand wanting to lock down the software back when they were going to offer the custom tunes from a handful of "qualified" tuners, but now the tuner they listed is gone. When you call they act like they have no idea what a custom tune is... as if it was never an advertised feature. All I want is the ability to fix the BROKEN OTS maps! Why should I be punished because you couldn't get along? Alta says they don't have a copy of the software and Cobb says Alta wont let them release the software (even to registered dealers) due to contract restrictions. Not what I expected from a joint project between two "reputable" companies.
Sorry about that, we haven't sold the MINI AP in 5 years or so, the people at both companies weren't even here when we sold them, so they may be giving confusing info. We actually get along fine with COBB, and we still work together all the time. The part was just simply discontinued. I'll try to make this short with tuning. With the AccessPORT, tuning is only possible with a pro tuner dongle. There are only a few in the world that exist for the MINI tuning software. To get that dongle, a company would have had to purchased it directly from COBB when it was available. The MINI AccessPORT is discontinued, so the dongle is unfortunately no longer available.

I only installed the stock map. i did not uninstall. Please tell me im not screwed....
You're no screwed, just give COBB a call, you'll have to send in the AP to them to get reset. It sounds like the dealer updated the ECU, which is a normal thing that they do. If you don't UNINSTALL the AP, then it'll overwrite the tune. The ECU update should be on the receipt from the dealer. You'll just need to send a copy of that to COBB, and they may charge you a small fee, but they should be able to do it pretty quick.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM
bertyboy69
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Sorry about that, we haven't sold the MINI AP in 5 years or so, the people at both companies weren't even here when we sold them, so they may be giving confusing info. We actually get along fine with COBB, and we still work together all the time. The part was just simply discontinued. I'll try to make this short with tuning. With the AccessPORT, tuning is only possible with a pro tuner dongle. There are only a few in the world that exist for the MINI tuning software. To get that dongle, a company would have had to purchased it directly from COBB when it was available. The MINI AccessPORT is discontinued, so the dongle is unfortunately no longer available.

You're no screwed, just give COBB a call, you'll have to send in the AP to them to get reset. It sounds like the dealer updated the ECU, which is a normal thing that they do. If you don't UNINSTALL the AP, then it'll overwrite the tune. The ECU update should be on the receipt from the dealer. You'll just need to send a copy of that to COBB, and they may charge you a small fee, but they should be able to do it pretty quick.

Thank you, i havent had a chance to get on here and post back, But I spoke with Cobb, they were very helpful, It costs 40$ to have them relicense with proof from the dealer , $250 without. So not that bad. Thank you all

Old 10-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
http://blog.perrinperformance.com/al...turbo-upgrade/

Longshot but does anyone have the tune file used in this "Stage 4" Mini?

It's Stage 3 + the Alta 42/56 turbo

Old 10-24-2016, 03:42 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
That map was a custom dyno tuned map for one of our shop cars, so no one else has that tune. Even if it was available, it probably wouldn't work on many cars now since it was done on an old version of the ECU. I wouldn't recommend using someone else's custom dyno tune since they are made specific to one car and their modifications.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread