Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
AustinM731
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So can I get new tunes from Alta? Or am I just stuck with what it comes with?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:10 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AustinM731
So can I get new tunes from Alta? Or am I just stuck with what it comes with?
you have what it comes with they are the usual stage 0,1,2 but you can get a custom tune done at any tuner that uses the protune to do a custom map

Old 08-23-2014, 12:49 AM
kaineb
1st Gear
Did i do something wrong? I bought a used accessport and just got my new mini back from service after just buying it a week ago. I enabled "Beta" maps and updated the AP. It backed up my ecu and then installed ok. Car starts but runs slightly rougher and a few hiccups or misfires here and there but no codes. Haven't driven it yet but the throttle seems more responsive just revving it. I used the lowest stage 1 update 91 octane. So am i doing this wrong or something?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
What are the details of your car, any mods/trans/year/miles? Some cars have a wandering idle. I know when my car had significant carbon buildup the car ran rougher with the tune. Make sure that you have good plugs and not a significant amount of carbon buildup. The tune expects the engine to be well maintained.

The different throttle response is due to throttle map changes.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-23-2014, 12:15 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Loud crack or snap noise when accelerating

I run a fairly conservative AP tune that makes "minor changes to increase boost" (Alta's description). When I accelerate aggressively I hear a fairly loud crack like noise when the engine is under load at a little over 2000 RPM in 2nd or 3rd. It's hard to describe and even harder to locate. Could be coming from underneath. The best way I can describe it...imagine a 1" ball bearing dropped onto a steel plate, and it doesn't bounce, just lands with a noise. It doesn't do it when I take out the tune and run stock. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I'm avoiding running any tune until I can figure it out as I don't want to damage anything. 2010 Clubman S Auto.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get that too I think. It's very brief and follows with a puff of smoke in the rear view. I think its due to carbon buildup. I haven't had mine cleaned yet, but plan on getting the walnut blasting pretty soon. I'm at 53000 miles.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:37 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Thanks Jlobb2. I haven't noticed any smoke, but I do get "super knock" codes from time to time, even with the stock tune. But those are accompanied by some hesitation, and I don't get them at the same time I get the noise. I got a walnut shell carbon blast done at about 40K. I'm at about 55K now. Do your symptoms match mine?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it sounds like what you're describing is the same as what I have. It's been a while since I checked the codes, but I think they were the superknock codes. I didn't get any with the stock tune. I use 93 octane only. I live in Chicago suburbs so it could be the additives they add to the gas here.
I get the cracking noise with heavy acceleration in 2-6 gear after a long period (5-10 minutes) of easy driving. I can be driving 55 on the highway for a few miles and if I go to pass another vehicle and stomp the gas, it'll make the noise and puff smoke. Or if I'm doing easy driving (keeping under 2000 rpm) for a while, then accelerate heavy in 2nd or 3rd gear it'll do it too.
The only hesitation I get is at 2200rpm in any gear. It's hard to explain, but is feels like a surge. It's a little annoying, but I just change gears to stay out of that rpm range if I can. I don't know if this is a side affect of the tune or if I really need a carbon cleaning. I guess I'll know for sure when I get the walnut blasting done.
I'm not blaming the tune for the cracking issue as it started happening at least a year after I had it installed. My current workaround is to just drive hard all the time.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
That sounds like the perfect solution! Never go below 4000RPM

Old 08-23-2014, 04:23 PM
kaineb
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
What are the details of your car, any mods/trans/year/miles? Some cars have a wandering idle. I know when my car had significant carbon buildup the car ran rougher with the tune. Make sure that you have good plugs and not a significant amount of carbon buildup. The tune expects the engine to be well maintained.

The different throttle response is due to throttle map changes.

Have fun,
Mike
09 R56 Manual Just got the WSB done before i put the tune on my car so i know the intake is clean. I did just order some plugs and will install this week and see. It seemed to smooth out a little after i drove it. Just not the "wow" factor i was thinking when i installed the tune either. But i think i was expecting too much.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:53 AM
ThEgMaNofCourse
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im sure this was answered somewhere in the 148 pages of posts. But im getting a catless downpipe, how do i go about correcting this imminent CEL that im going to get?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:17 PM
rogerc
1st Gear
Anybody know where I can get a Cobb Accessport new or used for a 2009 Mini Cooper S?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:20 PM
kaineb
1st Gear
I paid through the nose for mine on ebay but they seem to be getting harder to find. Just as a side note after using the 2 tunes for 91 Oct, no mods i can say that its quite impressive now. I was using the linear one first and it was good, then switched the non linear one and boy that is a blast to drive. Makes a huge difference just with the tune. Good purchase.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM
marze4641
1st Gear
I have an AccessPort for sale

Hi,

I just sold my 2009 Cooper S and I don't need mine anymore. I live in South Florida. I doubt you are local so we would just have to figure out a safe way for you to buy it and for me to get guaranteed funds. My preference will be a Paypal transaction.

I just placed an add on my local Craigslist for it. I'm asking $425. Let me know what you think. If you are interested send me a private message and I will give you my cell phone number.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:37 PM
marze4641
1st Gear
My AccessPort experience

So as I just posed, I sold my 2009 Cooper S : (

I unpaired the AccessPort about a month before I sold the car and I have to say that the difference is substantial. I suspect that the aggressive throttle mapping has almost as much to do with the subjective sense of added power as the actual increase in boost.

I am not the type to be constantly running at WOT so for me an aggressive throttle response makes a huge difference. One of the first things I noticed when I first paired the AccessPort to my Cooper was that it had a tendency to peel out quite as compared to a stock tune. The other big difference was on the high way where I found that I did not need to downshift from sixth gear to get relatively strong acceleration. There were minor hicups from time to time, but nothing that a mild adjustment in driving style did not fix. The biggest problem on my Cooper was that at low RPM (below 2000) if I was too aggressive with the throttle, once in a while the engine seemed to flood and lose power for an instant. That was easily solved by just changing that habit.

I have to say that I can't imagine having an 07 - 11 Cooper without at least an AccessPort tune. There is no doubt that a custom tune would be better, but you can't sell a custom tune after you get rid of the car, like you can sell an AccessPort. Also, a custom tune costs way more and the likelihood that someone buying your car will be willing to pay you an exra $800 - $1200 just because it is custom tuned is slim unless you hang out with hard core Mini enthusiasts that understand and are willing to pay for that stuff...

So if you can find an AccessPort for $500 or less, I think it's a no brainer. I've used Cobb previously on a WRX and that experience was also superb so I do not think you can find a better bang for the buck.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 PM
rogerc
1st Gear
Have purchased an Accessport for my 2009 mcs convertible with no mods.also,it is an automatic.
Have some questions that I thought that the gurus could answer.
1. Anybody know where I can get a manual?
2. How do I get new maps or am I stuck with the maps that are stock with the Accesspoint?
This site is great thanks for all the help.
Roger

Last edited by rogerc; 09-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:41 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't know if there is a manual, you can probably just do a google search to see if one exists. Have you done an install yet? Did you install the accessport on your computer as well?

I have an automatic as well, and have a couple of tunes that Alta did for me that I would be happy to share. When I first tried the auto tune from Alta (this was almost 3 years ago), the trans shifted very harshly. The custom tunes are much better, but they may have updated the auto maps since I bought mine. PM me if you need some detailed advice.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
We've been able to negate most of the issues associated with the harsh shifting from the automatics. let us know if you need any help from us if you decide to switch tunes.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
rogerc, I have maps i'd be happy to share as well. Jeff must have tried twenty iterations trying to get the shifting smooth on my 2010 Clubman S Auto. The last set he produced all featured primarily changes to boost only, and are absolutely stock smooth in shifting with I'd say 90% of the performance gain. PM me and I can forward if you like.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Hey Battle tuning...I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'd definitely be interested in what you are doing with the AP tunes for the mini. Have you got something for a 2010 Clubman Auto S?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:09 AM
BattleTuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jrettew
Hey Battle tuning...I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'd definitely be interested in what you are doing with the AP tunes for the mini. Have you got something for a 2010 Clubman Auto S?
We don't use the AP, we use the PowerGate3. Teamed with DNA Tuning who tunes for the MINI Challenge Series, we've been able to really alleviate shifting surges seen on the autos. Let us know if you're ready to make the switch.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BattleTuning
We don't use the AP, we use the PowerGate3. Teamed with DNA Tuning who tunes for the MINI Challenge Series, we've been able to really alleviate shifting surges seen on the autos. Let us know if you're ready to make the switch.
Any progress on the N18 OBD homefront ?

Old 09-07-2014, 03:23 PM
jrettew
2nd Gear
Thanks Battle, I will keep that in mind!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:13 PM
rogerc
1st Gear
Need Maps

Purchased a used AccessPort for my 2009 Mini Cooper S with and Automatic with no mods.

. (It was my wife's car and she bought a new car so I have the mini with an AUTOMATIC .)

I am in desperate need for any maps for an automatic with 91 oct and no mods.
Please PM me and I will send you my email address.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerc
Purchased a used AccessPort for my 2009 Mini Cooper S with and Automatic with no mods.

. (It was my wife's car and she bought a new car so I have the mini with an AUTOMATIC .)

I am in desperate need for any maps for an automatic with 91 oct and no mods.
Please PM me and I will send you my email address.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just plug it in and it will show you the maps appropriate for your specific car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread