Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain does heat from the reduction pullie produces kill my boost psi??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 PM
dutch2081
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does heat from the reduction pullie produces kill my boost psi??

i have a mini cooper s 05 and it has a alta 17% pullei and it reads 12 psi to redline...now i know it should have more boost...so my question is ...does heat from the reduction pullie produces kill my boost psi??..i am installing a smow meth progressive kit just to cool the sc and ic, the nozzle is just b4 the throttle body, by reducing intake air temp with that show more boost on my guage??
thankyou

Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
No and No.

My guess is that your belt is slipping. What belt are you running with that 17% pulley? The best belt for you to run is the Napa 060535.

Also, the common nozzle location for the Meth kit would be in the intercooler exit horn.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
dutch2081
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini_racer
No and No.

My guess is that your belt is slipping. What belt are you running with that 17% pulley? The best belt for you to run is the Napa 060535.

Also, the common nozzle location for the Meth kit would be in the intercooler exit horn.
its a new 535 belt.. and as for the location of the nozzle, i was gong to but it there but mini madness did the same kit and they said they tried both locations and b4 the t/b was better for cooling. this way it cools the sc and the ic. i would be using a bigger nozzle..in the future when i tune it for meth i will add a second nozzle to the exit horn..
thanks for ur reply i just might get a new pulley..this pulley i have was on there when i bought the car...who knows whats really on it

Old 07-22-2010, 06:47 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Dutch, replacing the pulley is most likely not the problem.

Check for boost leaks at the Intercooler couplers and the BPV. They are known to have issues and are a relatively easy DIY fix.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 PM
dutch2081
2nd Gear
i did boots are in good shape and they r on right....and the bypass valve is good and did a vacume pressure test and it passed...no other leaks anywhere...i am stumped

Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 PM
mini_racer
5th Gear
Agreed, if you have the proper belt then you could be leaking boost somewhere.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing is idk if you are supposed to inject meth before the supercharger. Probably isn't even effective since the air is heated post meth.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I would check the lower Supercharger Intake duct. There is a lime green gasket which is a huge issue for our cars. I had a bad leak there.

Where it attaches at the bottom there is a loop hole in the plastic which is normally round. The hole in this duct was somewhat oblong from moving so much. And where it attaches to the base of the SC horn (left arrow ) it was shiny from the plastic rubbing against it for some time.

Note - The new replacement horn was just replaced few weeks again...Again. When compared with the New new one, it was apparent that the original new one came from a bad mold and the green gasket did not fit inside it very tightly.

At one time, I was told M7 made their own aftermarket version of this intake duct made of metal or aluminum. Maybe Randy can pipe in if this is something still available. From what I have seen in handling and installing the plastic one, it does have it's issues.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 07-23-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM
mini_racer
5th Gear
While that certainly is a weak link in the intake, a failure here will not result in a low boost pressure reading as it is before the SC.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dutch2081
i have a mini cooper s 05 and it has a alta 17% pullei and it reads 12 psi to redline...now i know it should have more boost...so my question is ...does heat from the reduction pullie produces kill my boost psi??..i am installing a smow meth progressive kit just to cool the sc and ic, the nozzle is just b4 the throttle body, by reducing intake air temp with that show more boost on my guage??
thankyou
A few questions
....how high above sea-level are you??
In some locations, that might not be too bad a number.....
And thermodynamically, the hotter the air as it goes into the IC, the more it will be cooled, so when the Meth is injected, it will cause some cooling....so they may recommend injecting it after the IC.

Remember, meth injection is also about adding octane, and preventing detonation!! To use it most effectively, a tune is used. The evaporation will cause cooling....but that brings up an interesting topic.....where to get the METH or METH/WATER mix...
Some folks use Blue windshield wash fluid....
This is made with TAP or well water...HARD WATER with MINERALS!!
THIS IS BAD FOR A MOTOR!! THE MINERALS WILL CRYSTALLIZE and FORM DEPOSITS that can cause WEAR!!

When this type of system is used in Aviation (I have, we used and 80% water, 20% meth mix) YOU MUST ALWAYS USE DE_MINERALIZED WATER......IE-DISTILLED WATER!! Anything else is a false sense of economy!! IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE overtime!!

Another question...how many miles on the SC?
And did you have a PSI reading from before the pulley?

Last edited by ZippyNH; 07-23-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM
dutch2081
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
A few questions
....how high above sea-level are you??
In some locations, that might not be too bad a number.....
And thermodynamically, the hotter the air as it goes into the IC, the more it will be cooled, so when the Meth is injected, it will cause some cooling....so they may recommend injecting it after the IC.

Another question...how many miles on the SC?
And did you have a PSI reading from before the pulley?
132,000 km
no reading b4 the pulley change
i am in toronto Canada so not in the mountains
as for the location of the meth...mini madness recommended it to be b4 the throttle body..so i dunno i might put a second nozzle after the ic later

Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
That would be kinda low, unless you have some head work (porting or a big valve head).....
Heat is an issue with the 17%....
it is great if the car is moving, so the IC is not heat soaked, but if in traffic in heat....not ideal. I'd look for leaks....Toronto is cool enough that IMO the 17% should be fine.
I'd install the meth kit as they recommend...maybe going through the IC ensures full evaporation, or ensures full mixing!! With a SC motor, it seems like an perfect system for when you want that extra kick...
A tune and two different maps/tunes would be ideal (with a flash tool), but heck...just ensureing the timing is not retarted on warmer days with full throttle....should make it NICE!!
Congrats! Good Luck o getting it sorted!!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
dutch2081
2nd Gear
well i just installed a new bypass...same psi....i dunno maybe there is head work done...but it only pulled 144hp 127 torque..low numbers...but maybe once i cool it down it will all work together and surprise me..