MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Headers
1 Replies, 72 Views
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 AM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
bypass valve problem??

ok so i took the bypass valve out and i noticed it does not seem to close all the way. there is a ring of light around the butterfly valve, so i tried to back out the set screw and its backed all the way out and there is still light comin through...is that normalÉ could that be the problem with my boost lostÉ should it shut and seal tigt
cheers
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Vendor

Gallery
You should be able to seat the butterfly. If it won't close, you're losing power and boost. Call Detroit Tuned (or us) and get yourself an DT BPV. If you are leaking boost from a faulty BPV, you'll notice a large power gain.

Facebook | Website
Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Gallery
This isn't rare..

sound like your spring is broken. A replacement is in order, it's not an expensive part. Stock will work, the DT closes sooner, and has a more abrumpt transition from open to closed.

Matt
Dr Obnxs' Musings: a blog about cars, energy, technology and more....
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mini_berger21
Gallery
I have very low mileage (under 25k) bypass valve in perfect condition if you are interested.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini_berger21 View Post
I have very low mileage (under 25k) bypass valve in perfect condition if you are interested.
how much do you want for it?
will you take paypal and does it close all the way?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I just had to replace mine. It's not an expensive part.
2006 CR/B MCS JCW, RMW (street) Cam and RMW Street Header, JCW / Swift Springs, Koni FSD, Fat Cat Motorsports bump stops, H&R 19mm rear anti-sway bar, IE Fixed camber plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Red interior, Chrome, HK, RMW Tune, 223 WHP / 200 WTQ
Old 07-23-2010, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
well i changed the bypass with a new one..what a waste of money...now i am stumped
Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 AM
5th Gear

Gallery
It is very common that the butterfly valve is mis-aligned. You could try to re- align and center the butterfly valve by loosening the screws holding it on the shaft until it closes properly. If your stock spring is in good condition you should be good to go. Be careful when setting the stop screw so that the valve just shuts and does not stick closed.
Steve
Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
the bypass is good......anyone hear or seen a wore out sc? will it make weird noises or anything??
Old 07-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Gallery
Two most common failures on the SC

are the rear water pump gears going, and the coatings on the rotors going. There's lots of info on both here. Spend some time searching. BTW, the gears going makes noise, the coatings going doesn't.

Matt
Dr Obnxs' Musings: a blog about cars, energy, technology and more....
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Garage
I think my bypass valve isn't closing properly

Recently installed a boost gauge in my '02 MCS and found I am only making ~8# of boost. Only owned the car for 7 months but have 5 years of maintenance records from previous owner. No record of the BPV being replaced. I have replaced the supercharger belt (was due) to make sure it wasn't slipping, no change in max boost. Tensioner looks fine, lots of tension and ~1/2 a hole shows on the tensioner with the new belt. Car runs great, smooth, quiet and no belt noise, but I suspect I am loosing considerable horsepower. I plan to check out the BPV but before I take it apart I would like to know if this is strictly a replacement part only or can you buy a BPV rebuild kit and save yourself a little cash.

'02 Liquid Yellow MCS
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM