Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Cant Decide on Exhausts DINAN vs. Strat Milltek

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
WizardEyes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant Decide on Exhausts DINAN vs. Strat Milltek

Cant decide. Already have the Dinan Intake and Dinan engine software stage 3 but which exhaust should i get the Dinan exhaust was apealing to me because the car is already tuned for it in the stage 3 software but allot of my mini friends are saying the Stratmosphere milltek exhausts are killer. I JUST CANT PICK! any one have experience with either of these?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 756 Likes on 618 Posts
Forget the Dinan exhaust. I've seen way too many of them break or leak.

Go for the Stratmosphere or Milltek. I'd personally do the stratmosphere it's the same as the Milltek only cheaper. I run a milltek on both my cars, my GF's car and my dad's car. They work great, fit great, and make some torque.

Don't worry about your Dinan tune, working with the exhaust it won't work any better with a dinan exhaust. That's just a dealer trying to sell you on it.

Let me know if you have other questions.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-14-2009, 01:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Forget the Dinan exhaust. I've seen way too many of them break or leak.

Go for the Stratmosphere or Milltek. I'd personally do the stratmosphere it's the same as the Milltek only cheaper. I run a milltek on both my cars, my GF's car and my dad's car. They work great, fit great, and make some torque.

Don't worry about your Dinan tune, working with the exhaust it won't work any better with a dinan exhaust. That's just a dealer trying to sell you on it.

Let me know if you have other questions.

I have been thinking of getting the Miltek/Stratos.....is is nice looking, and has no "droning" sound on the highway from what I have heard. Really a nice item!!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:21 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I have the Milltek on my R53 and it is on the loud side, especially at the track. A bit intrusive on the highway unless you're not really on the gas too hard. I just put an OBX on my R50 and really like it. Nice and throaty, but not very noticeable during regular driving, and not too intrusive during spirited acceleration.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:17 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
I have the Milltek on my R53 and it is on the loud side, especially at the track. A bit intrusive on the highway unless you're not really on the gas too hard. I just put an OBX on my R50 and really like it. Nice and throaty, but not very noticeable during regular driving, and not too intrusive during spirited acceleration.

Odd..you are the first person that I have ever heard say that about the Milteck......you have the one with a single pipe or the dual pipe muffler one?

Old 11-14-2009, 04:26 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
It's the dual pipe model. Don't get me wrong. It sounds awesome on the track. I just wouldn't want it on a daily driver, but views about exhaust volume levels are very subjective and opinions vary all over the board. I bought the OBX from a guy whose wife thought it was too loud, and it's just right for me. The best way to judge is to find MINI's that have them and take a listen in person.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Longboard110
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
get better sound and save money and go custom

Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
PA-MCS
3rd Gear
I have the stratmosphere, to be honest it could be a little louder. Maybe with a header the sound will be more suitable for my taste.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM
WizardEyes
2nd Gear
wow no one really has anything good to say about the DINAN exhaust eh? lol

Old 11-16-2009, 03:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
They do make a good CAI IMO!!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the Milltek Cat-Back on my 06 MCS. It is a little louder than the JCW exhaust and quieter than the Borla Sport exhaust. The Milltek does not drone on the highway. I often wish it was a little louder but I know that brings a drone while cruising (like the Borla). I figure the Milltek will be great with a header.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dinan isn't a full catback exhaust, but sells for the price of one. So you should go with one of the other choices. I love my Invidia exhaust, and I would never switch to a Dinan exhaust even if someone were to give me one for free.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Stratmosphere
Former Vendor
No drone on the highway with the Milltek and the Strat exhuast. That was the goal. Put on a header and enjoy more rip and the best behaved mani-back system around. Pete, Stratmosphere. 1.866.533.777

Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
love the dinan exhaust sound, but as stated above, it's crappy quality through and through.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
crazyaboutmini
4th Gear
i miss the refinement of the milltek, it had a nice tone and was never too loud on all occasions. but the only thing i wish was it to be a bit more loud, not obnoxious but it could be more louder without being too loud...

Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 AM
fignewton
2nd Gear
Another vote for the Stratmosphere

Although I've got an R56 MCS, the Strat's quality and fit is exceptional, and tone is near perfect.
Fig

Last edited by fignewton; 12-18-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Milltek has developed a nasty rattle (in the resonator, I think) after about 60,000 miles. FWIW, according to Johnny, of Johnny's Auto Clinic in San Pedro, CA, he only recommends Borla because he feels they are the best quality.

Anyway, I called Stratmosphere, and Pete told me that if I prove I purchased the Milltek(?!) and get someone(?) to identify what part of the cat-back exhaust is the problem (resonator, muffler, etc.), he will send new parts free of charge as his way of fulfilling his part in the "lifetime limited warranty." I guess the labor is on me. Anyway, I don't know if I would get Milltek again. 60,000 miles is fair, but for the price, I expected the system to last as long as the car. Fankly, I was disappointed that it hasn't gone farther.

I still like the sound when it isn't producing its "death rattle." To me, it sounded just a little bit louder with the OBX I used to have, but it sounds great with the OEM header to. (My OBX broke afgter about 40,000, and I went back to the OEM).

Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 AM
NOTDULL
2nd Gear
Nasty rattle?...put the car up on a lift and inspect the rubber hangers first, you may be surprised what you find.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Mark, check it out and find out what is really wrong. If you bought it from an authorized Milltek dealer they will be able to get it warrantied if it is the exhaust faulty.
I haven't had problems with the Milltek R53 S exhaust. I have found many borlas that the mufflers and pipes crack after a year, so I never use them. Plus I've had a few borlas drone.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-20-2009, 06:13 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
###1 for the Milltek!! Haven't had even the slightest regret or notion to get anything else, still loving it 2.5 years later.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have had a Milltek on my R53 for 3 years without any issues at all and love it. It started out being installed to the stock exhaust manifold and was ok. Then I added and RMW header and it is now PERFECT.
While my RMW was out being repaired, (Cat Replacement) I purchased a Mynes Stepped Header and it was very loud but still very nice. With either one headers installed I did not have a drone on highway driving, but if you go WOT it is a whole different story but with many smiles.

Just get a Milltek you cant go wrong.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Another vote for the Milltek. Deeper, more refined, tone than stock but not loud until you get on it. It also lets the pops and burbles during overrun through more than the stock exhaust (like all aftermarket exhausts I presume). Adding poly engine mounts seems to increase the volume a bit as well. No drone on highway.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
not to revive such an old thread but there is alot of talk about the milltek exhaust and its sound but Im not sure to what type everyone is referring to. Non-resonated or resonated? I am worried about the Non resonated drone. Is it just kinda there, or is it obnoxious? If the resonated version has that nice pop to it im down for that one

Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since this is an old post, I suspect everyone was talking about the Milltek with a resonator. I know I was talking with resonator.
I believe the non-resonator option is relatively new. I only heard about it a few months ago.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by LetsMotorR53
not to revive such an old thread but there is alot of talk about the milltek exhaust and its sound but Im not sure to what type everyone is referring to. Non-resonated or resonated? I am worried about the Non resonated drone. Is it just kinda there, or is it obnoxious? If the resonated version has that nice pop to it im down for that one
Originally Posted by quikmni
Since this is an old post, I suspect everyone was talking about the Milltek with a resonator. I know I was talking with resonator.
I believe the non-resonator option is relatively new. I only heard about it a few months ago.
Yes seeing how old this thread is it is all talk of the resonated version. But the non res version came avail. a couple years ago.
The Non res version is still pretty good and really just more aggressive than the resonated, but livable for every day use. Plus it's a good deal as it's a little more cost effective.
Check out our Stratmosphere version as it is even better than the Milltek.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/stratmo...3-hardtop.html

We have the R53 Milltek available too, but like the strat better.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Cant Decide on Exhausts DINAN vs. Strat Milltek