Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain CNC Mini headwork by ENDYN.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 AM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNC Mini headwork by ENDYN.

I just wanted to show off and give my thoughts on my headwork done by Endyn. I decided on the the mid-sized valve head as I do not really spend a lot of time in the 6k to redline RPM range.

I picked up my car last night from K-huevos place and I have to say I am SO pleased with my new found power and most of all new found low and mid range torque! I always thought my car was really lacking power down low. The car now pulls very strong from 2.5k to 5.5k rpm which is exactly where I was looking for some more meat and that is exactly what I got. My car now has more power in ALL gears and I am loving it. I really wish I would have done this FIRST instead of last as far as engine mods go. This is for sure my best modification to date. I was not ever going to do a head and honestly the 4-6 month turn around time for the head put me off. When I found out the turn around time was now 3 weeks I decided to pull the trigger and go for it and I could NOT be happier!

The car is now a little louder and has more grunt if you will. I drove the car for an hour last night highway and street and had a grin from ear to ear. It took me a little while to get used to it to be honest.

I also had Endyn port match the intake manifold and K-huevo and I did some porting on one of the IC horns. Here is link to MY head getting the work done, all the pics are in the first post....

[FONT=Arial]http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661[/FONT]

Here is the link to where I purchased the head for those who wanted to know about prices and stuff. I hate discussing those kinds of things...

www.werkinmini.com

So now I have CNC Headwork by Endyn made to work with the NS1 cam coupled with an RMW header and Miltek exhaust and I think found the right mix of madness for my car. And to think I was only going to do a pulley and intake ....

Anyway, just wanted to show off a little and report how pleased I am that finally got headwork done and done right. I hope this thread does NOT turn into a "Who's stuff is better" thread. I am just reporting on what I have and how happy I am to have it. I am not a racer, I just wanted a mean street car, which is what I got. Thanks for reading. Anyone local who would like to take it for a spin let me know

Last edited by mdbsat; 11-04-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
LosOsos"S"
1st Gear
Hi mdbsat,
Thank you for sharing on the Endyn head. I too have been biten by the "mod-and then some more" bug and am trying to pick a head builder. So I appreciate your shared experience and the link to the head in process pictures. I have a few questions.
-How much money?... unless it is top secret or something.
-What size valves are the mid size?... .5mm/intake and 1.0mm/exhaust?
-Do you have a tune tying all your mods together? Do note I did not ask who.
Thanks!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 AM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Endyn makes *THE* best heads for the S2000 (my previous project) sadly like the OP said the wait times used to be horrendous. Now we just need to see if Hytech can make a camshaft and Full-Race to make a 'Hypertune' intake manifold then we could have the 'Unicorn' MINI lol

Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
This is great! I have been looking to do some head work and this sounds exactly what I am looking for in terms of where the power kicks in. A couple of questions though...
1. What size injectors are you running?
2. Are you planning on getting a tune?
3. How competetive is the pricing for the Endyn head as compared to RMW or Mynes head?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
SlowGSX98
3rd Gear
I was thinking about going with the Endyn head for a while after seeing the work they do on Honda motors when I used to have my Integra, but I couldn't find much info on it so I just got a RMW head. Now if I can find a bigger cam then the one i have now...

Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LosOsos"S"
Hi mdbsat,
Thank you for sharing on the Endyn head. I too have been biten by the "mod-and then some more" bug and am trying to pick a head builder. So I appreciate your shared experience and the link to the head in process pictures. I have a few questions.
-How much money?... unless it is top secret or something.
-What size valves are the mid size?... .5mm/intake and 1.0mm/exhaust?
-Do you have a tune tying all your mods together? Do note I did not ask who.
Thanks!
The price is not a secret though I bought this through a vendor that is not on nam and keeping within site guildlines I dont think it would be appropriate to give more info. Check some other sites. Sorry.

Mid-size valves- Exhaust Valve 24.22mm, Black Nitride
Intake Valve- 30.7mm Black Nitride (I had to ask as I didn't know)

I had a tune before I had the head installed. I am not even sure if I need or am going to get it re-tuned. It is pretty awesome the way it is! I appreciate you not asking who as I really do not want this thread to go the way of most tuner threads. This is just about head work. I really cannot say how pleased I am with this head and new power.

@drsilvermini- I do not know how competetive the prices are compared to others on the market. I know it was more than the other company I looked at. Whatever I paid was WELL worth it to me, sorry I cannot be more specific. Injector size in my sig. Goodluck with your choice, I am now a big fan of head work obviously

There is also some info on motoringalliance.com as well for those interested.

Last edited by mdbsat; 11-03-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Glad to hear your happy with your head. Randy Webb actually dealt with Endyn years ago, but the heads never made the big numbers that is common place now. I'd like to see some before and after dyno numbers besides the butt dyno. A properly ported and polished head should be able to make 20hp. I know our WMW head has gained more than that, but it will depend on each cars mods.

Also if you had a custom tune before, you need to retune it, otherwise you risk the chance of running lean.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Glad to hear your happy with your head. Randy Webb actually dealt with Endyn years ago, but the heads never made the big numbers that is common place now. I'd like to see some before and after dyno numbers besides the butt dyno. A properly ported and polished head should be able to make 20hp. I know our WMW head has gained more than that, but it will depend on each cars mods.

Also if you had a custom tune before, you need to retune it, otherwise you risk the chance of running lean.
Thanks, I am happy. My car was dyno'd when I had it tuned. I don't know if I will get it dynoed again as I don't really care. I am just more than pleased with my new found power and I certainly don't have anything to prove.

I am merely posting my experience with my new headwork. Seeing as I did have a custom tune before this mod you are saying I MUST get it re-tuned? I did not know this. I will need to lookinto this Thanks.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
spdfreak
2nd Gear
I would say yes to the retune, your current tune is set up for the amount of airflow through your old head, now with a ported head you will be flowing more air which could cause your car to have a lean condition. If nothing else a new tune is just piece of mind.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I'd say you need to more than look into it. Making changes to the engine especially the head after it's been tuned will definetly change the air fuel ratio, and going too lean will not be good. This is just one of the reasons I advise customers not to have me tune their car until they are done modding the engine.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
I'd say you need to more than look into it. Making changes to the engine especially the head after it's been tuned will definetly change the air fuel ratio, and going too lean will not be good. This is just one of the reasons I advise customers not to have me tune their car until they are done modding the engine.
I really appreciate your concern. Thats what I like about nam, mini owners looking out for other mini owners.

Like I said I am looking into it and have been in contact with the people who tuned my car.

Day four with my new head work and I just LOVE it!!! Best mod I have done yet Thumbs up to the guys at Endyn and of course K for the install.

Last edited by mdbsat; 11-05-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mdbsat
I really appreciate your concern. Thats what I like about nam, mini owners looking out for other mini owners.

Like I said I am looking into it and have been in contact with the people who tuned my car.

Day four with my new head work and I just LOVE it!!! Best mod I have done yet Thumbs up to the guys at Endyn and of course K for the install.
Great to hear about your install mdbsat I am also loving my head install and my NS1 I agree with Way about getting retuned, or at least some how reading your AFR's. But I have feeling you know that already. But I tell you what, after Jason, at Mynes, tuned mine a few weeks ago, oh my gosh , what a transformation My car is running smoother than ever and much more powerful than ever. Hope one day you can get a Jason tune

Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 AM
mdbsat
5th Gear
I have already had one Jimimi

Though I do want it tuned again

Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear

lol i just layed a ridiculous patch with one of your heads . normally dont do such things but said what -the -heck ; off with the dsc and drop the hammer!!! i could've gone for a football field but dollar signs appeared real quick . fronts are new !!! looooool much fun .

Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
do the dyno and get the afr's man !!!! and do get the 380's or more .

Old 09-02-2015, 05:00 PM
eMINI of the State
3rd Gear

That's because Larry tunes just like any other pro tuner does, to go fast, not win treadmill matches obtaining a meaningless number. One of my best friends tuned for Ducati, and he'll tell you the same thing about peak HP, he has no clue what it is. Horsepower is not a measure of speed, it's a measure of total possible work. Just like your job, your not a fast worker just for doing more work , if it takes you two days you're not fast, you're fired. Read any article from a pro race tuner/designer, they don't try to get the highest number out of the car, they identify the average top and bottom of a drivers shift band, and then they maximize the delta between those points. This allows the car to maximize it's transient response by coming out of every shift already in the apex of the power band, which allows them to fly through gears, and be FAST. If you design and tune to achieve the biggest hp number in a pissing match of selling parts, chances are you've sacrificed every other variable.I've outrun plenty of vehicles who had 30hp over me, which is easy to do when they had a number ego tuner setting their max power past redline. 160hp at 6k rpms is way faster than 190hp at 10k rpms. That's why guys with mustangs and Busa's always spew their big HP numbers, while the Porsche and Aprilia guys simply state their 0-60.
Ranting Pk HP is like being the obnoxious guy claiming to have a huge D**k but never proving it, Having a solid 0-60 is like being the guy who says nothing at all, he just drops trough in front of everyone, shutting up the hp snobs when his junk hits the floor. Until we end this mindlessness, we're never gonna get our cars faster.
Larry is walking textbook of knowledge and will take anyone under his wing, and sadly won't be around to much longer. No, if he was obsessed with the meaningless of peak power, he would've had a career tuning obscure cars and sponsoring his own racer, with drivers with day jobs. No, he was obsessed with making cars fast, which is why he built for NASCAR, headed R&D for Penskes Indy team, and designed the heads on Nissans newest super car.
Yet we write of these masters of their crafts and their proven legacies because we are so infatuated with a number, and have the audacity to think we know more than they do.
Latch on to these people, and learn everything you can, I've never heard Larry speak ill of anyone, and he'll make time to email any garage tinkerer who reaches out to him just to encourage them. Soon there won;t be anymore master machinist, just nerds on laptops and CNC's