MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
MINI's on TV!!!
165 Replies, 8,497 Views
New on the Motoring.com
2 Replies, 101 Views
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 AM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Helix short shift kit

i installed the helix SSK a few weeks ago and everything went fine, easy install, shifted fine but now im experiencing some problems. i've read by some people that it takes a little more force to shift. right after i installed it, it felt great but as time goes on it gets more and mroe difficult to shift in and out of 2nd and 4th gear. its to the point now where i really have to muscle it into those gears. taking it out of 4th takes so much force that it goes right past nuetral and into 3rd gear. so my question is, does anyone know what might be causing this and how i might fix it?

thank you
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dunphyj Send a message via Skype™ to dunphyj
Gallery
the only thing that this could be would be the piece is loose... there shouldn't be anything in the shifter or the piece that could make shifting harder...i mean it's known that aftermarket short shift kits will have a heavier shifter head to make shifting easier... but i highly doubt anything would make shifting harder in only two gears...
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
i checked the piece and its solid. i used loctite on the set screw so it shouldnt come lose. however i did notice something that made shifting easier. i decided to drive i hard and really shift fast and hard and after that the shifting became much easier. i did install the polyeurathane mounts not long before i did the SSK. could it be that shifting hard shifted the motor slightly and thats affecting my shifting? after a few days of driving the shifter started getting harder again....i drove it hard and instatly shifting became easier. anyone else with the poly mounts experience anything similar?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I would message helix and ask them what could be wrong. They are a great company, and this problem doesn't sound normal....
Factory built 08/08 MINI JCW: JCW Aerokit, M7 C-Wing, Bilstein PSS10, Vorshlag camber plates, RennSport Racing Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms, Howerton Engineering HFS-3 w/ Race Tank, Whiteline 20mm RSB, RMW Tune, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1, DoS CAI, Evolve FMIC, BSH OCC + Dual Boost Port, NM SSK, etalj-spec torque arm ;), Goodridge SS Brake Lines, Endless RF-650 fluid, Carbotech XP12s, ALTA PSRS, Powergrid adjustable endlinks, Challenge Decals
Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunphyj View Post
the only thing that this could be would be the piece is loose... there shouldn't be anything in the shifter or the piece that could make shifting harder...i mean it's known that aftermarket short shift kits will have a heavier shifter head to make shifting easier... but i highly doubt anything would make shifting harder in only two gears...
If it is not the shifter get ready to open your wallet

There is a reason it is called a moneyshift
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
This happened to my car...without the short shift. The clutch was replaced under warrantee...throwout bearing was causing the problem. Apparently they also replaced my shift linkage as well...don't think they would have done so if I'd installed the short shift kit...might want to try putting it back to stock and see if the problem persists.
08 MCS - BRG/White Stripes(painted on!), Aero-Kit, DOS intake, DOS W2A IC, Riss Racing Catless DP, Invidia Q300, Accessport Stage 3, 18" Konig Swurve, Megan Racing Coilovers, H-Sport Upper/Lower control arms, Powerflex front bushings, TSW 19mm RSB, NM torque arm insert, LSD. ..almost finished...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
thanks for that info. was your problem by any chance intermittent? im noticing the difficulty shifting is harder some days and smooth as silk other days
Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Nah it was all the time...so possibly something different than your problem. But just to eliminate what you changed putting it back to stock would be a good first step in figuring out the problem.
08 MCS - BRG/White Stripes(painted on!), Aero-Kit, DOS intake, DOS W2A IC, Riss Racing Catless DP, Invidia Q300, Accessport Stage 3, 18" Konig Swurve, Megan Racing Coilovers, H-Sport Upper/Lower control arms, Powerflex front bushings, TSW 19mm RSB, NM torque arm insert, LSD. ..almost finished...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM