Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aftermarket replacement for hydraulic motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 02:04 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear you are all enjoying the mount. Melissa take note when it's cold outside that mount will need to warm up and while cold it will give you more NVH and the colder it is the more NVH you will get even above idle.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I was prepared for it, based on what I'd read. It doesn't bother me at all, and clears up after about 10 minutes or so of highway driving.

Kind of funny to try and look in my rearview while it's buzzing, though...

Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
How do I get in touch with someone from texas speed works? i cant get in touch with tswerks, and autocooperx is banned, and he was going to handle an issue for me.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Link

Phone: 972.618.0876
email: info@txwerks.com

Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mel (and others from the northern climes) please keep us updated on your winter performance experiences.

As I have posted elsewhere I just can't pull the trigger on this mod yet. 70 Shore A polyurethane (0-120 ambient) and the occasional -15F or lower local temps just don't seem very compatible. I have nightmares of cracking this thing in two.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLPearson79
Yeah I was prepared for it, based on what I'd read. It doesn't bother me at all, and clears up after about 10 minutes or so of highway driving.

Kind of funny to try and look in my rearview while it's buzzing, though...
I think I may have a little preload on mine now because the bolt is at a very small angle. I think a half-turn of the mounting bracket will ease things a bit.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
2/21/10 Update....

An oil change has made all the difference in the world. What I had characterized as "a little more" NVH is now barely noticeable.

I am much happier with the product.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:16 AM
jharris69
1st Gear
I installed the TSW mount today, and I got to say it rocks. My original motor mount must have been worse than I thought. After install, I noticed increased power and response, naturally. It also had the effect of correcting an issue i was experiencing shifting into first, the stick would catch slightly when moving up into first. That's all gone now.

Install was straitforward and solid. I would say it takes less than an hour, and that includes cleaning up all the crap leaked from the previous mount. If all the TSW products are this good, I'm going to need a second job.

Thanks Jeff! Killer upgrade!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's true that the TSW engine mount adds some NVH (especially the V) compared to the OEM mount. For some it's not so bad and an acceptable tradeoff. My car's got a lot of NVH already, so I was surprised that I noticed it so much and how much it annoyed me. My solution?

I already had the VIP stabilizer, so I just married the two: the TSW urethane unit (sans stabilizer) with the VIP stabilizer. Still stiffer than a teenager in the morning...

Last edited by DrPhilGandini; 04-12-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
the book of replies

Dr Phil.. I'm trying to compile a book of "notable replies" to all the various subjects inferred & referred & just plain "fer" "NAM" forums. You're beginning to make this once rather simple project ~~"difficult" ; as I find it "problematic " trying" to record YOUR responses ! In other words it's da**** difficult to write legibly while convulsing in laughter !! Thank You!! OBEY

Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
sjessog
Neutral
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I think the replacement parts the dealers are using is a "new & improved" version of the mount that came on the cars from the factory.

If you read through the posts here on NAM, there are countless people that have had to replace the mount once (often with only a few thousand miles on the car), but there are only a handful of posters that have had to replace them twice, which makes me think the replacement parts are doing a better job than the original ones.

One of my friends from school just had the mount in his 2005 replaced a few weeks ago, and both my 2006 and my wife's 2006 are having their mounts replaced this week.
Just noticed at 95000 that the mount is gone for a 2nd time...first one was replaced at 23000.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Mini_Crazy
3rd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
It's true that the TSW engine mount adds some NVH (especially the V) compared to the OEM mount. . . . My solution? I already had the VIP stabilizer, so I just married the two: the TSW urethane unit (sans stabilizer) with the VIP stabilizer. Still stiffer than a teenager in the morning...
Excellent!! Dr. Phil, I had the same thought (and a VIP stabilizer that I had taken off for the TSW mount), but it's been raining, and you beat me to it. Congratulations

Questions:
  1. Is the NVH now similar to the stock hydraulic mount? (If yes, maybe the TSW folks should re-think the bushing in their "dog bone", and replace it with a larger one more like the VIP damper.)
  2. Did you machine a spacer to replace the small end of the dog bone under the engine bracket?
- Jim

Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim:
2 first: No, I simply left the joint under the engine bracket (there's room for it to sit without hitting anything and it's pretty stiff anyway.) A neater long term solution would be to machine a collar to replace the part, yes.
As for the NVH--it's still a little more than stock, but I also have other engine mount replacements. I'd say half way between OEM hydraulic mount and TSW unmodified. I think it's worth it especially as you have the VIP stabilizer.

Good luck,

Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Thread revival, hope nobody minds. I need to get some input on this.
I have noticed a small sign of leak on my mount, looks bone dry. I will wipe it off and monitor, but I do have something going on and I want to see if this is related. This is what I am talking about. Initially a slight chirp/click when leaving from a dead stop, it has now gotten louder and also occurs whenever there is a shift in position of the motor front/back wise.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dead-stop.html
Has anyone had these symptoms as part of their failing mount? I just need to know if I have to keep hunting for that noise.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by fishbone
Thread revival, hope nobody minds. I need to get some input on this.
I have noticed a small sign of leak on my mount, looks bone dry. I will wipe it off and monitor, but I do have something going on and I want to see if this is related. This is what I am talking about. Initially a slight chirp/click when leaving from a dead stop, it has now gotten louder and also occurs whenever there is a shift in position of the motor front/back wise.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...dead-stop.html
Has anyone had these symptoms as part of their failing mount? I just need to know if I have to keep hunting for that noise.
The chirp/click on take off from a dead stop is most likely the front, left driveshaft CV joint. Try going in reverse and stop and then forward fairly quickly.

Steve

Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
It's an auto so I can only do that to a limited extent But parked, going from Drive to Reverse and vice versa I can hear it, holding the foot on the brake the entire time to prevent the car from moving. Any time there is load, I hear it.
Left from the perspective of sitting in the car?
Sorry for the apparent thread jack since it turns out it may not be related to the mount at all.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
lsnover
3rd Gear
I'm going to hijack the hijacker. LOL.

I'm having similar problems. I have a clicking/clunking noise when accelerating and decelerating. 2005 Cabrio S 22K miles. No leaks in the upper engine mount. I think it may be the mounts though, because I've heard it a couple times when starting the engine.

I would like to put one of the engine stabilizers on to see if that helps before replacing the mounts. Can you guys give pros and cons on the TSW vs. the VIP stabilizers? I'm just street use, stock motor.

The TSW mount seems somewhat more complicated then the VIP mount. Would that "shock" assembly be prone to wear and need replacing? It seems well engineered, but maybe overkill?

The VIP mount looks simple. Less things to fiddle with.

Would prefer the mount that provides less NVH. I guess I'll have to replace the motor mounts at some point, then the question is with what? Don't fancy using an OEM part that seems subject to self destruct, but I don't need anything super hard/harsh either.

Regards,
Lee

Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Giants9595
4th Gear
Mini has made a revision to the hydraulic engine mount. They have added a engine stabilizer to it that attaches to the strut tower. I just had mine replace about 3-4000 miles ago at 45000.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 PM
checkmate2006
Banned
They haven't revised the mid 04-06 mount. That stabilizer has always been there still doesn't help. Go with TSW call it good

Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Well, my mount is definitely shot. It's leaking. I have an 05, no stabilizer.

So, the question is do I replace with aftermarket motor mount or new OEM. If they have not upgraded the part, I'm not inclined to put another POS in there.

Thanks for the input on TSW. Are you referring to their Stabilizer or Motor Mount or both?

Regards,
Lee

Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The $199 motor mount.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 PM
checkmate2006
Banned
^ Yup

Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 AM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Could you folks who have installed the TSW kit on anotherwise stock mini comment on NVH issues? Wondering if I should get an new OEM mount and one of the Stabilizer bars instead. I'm not keen on extra vibrations, but I'm not keen on having to replace the mount every X miles either. Always trade offs I guess.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 AM
checkmate2006
Banned
^ The NVH is not bad at all. If you do the OEM + stabilizer its just a band-aid not a solution so you will be paying for a new mount again down the road. The tsw is an end all solution to the grenade motor mount for 200 bucks your done and no worry of spending $100 each time the motor mount fails.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Okey Dokey guys, trusting your expert opinions here. ;-) TSW Mount and new lower mount ordered just in case. Should be fun cleaning the "ooze".

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Aftermarket replacement for hydraulic motor mount?