Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aftermarket replacement for hydraulic motor mount?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lsnover
Could you folks who have installed the TSW kit on anotherwise stock mini comment on NVH issues? Wondering if I should get an new OEM mount and one of the Stabilizer bars instead. I'm not keen on extra vibrations, but I'm not keen on having to replace the mount every X miles either. Always trade offs I guess.
NVH is minimal. It has made me acutely aware of the oil level, however.

The TSW mount is highly recommended.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the TSW mount installed at MOTD. My NVH issues vary based on outside temperature and the RPM of the engine. There is a more noticeable vibration at idle; I can see my steering wheel vibrate at times. The fact they occur is because of the upgrade from hydraulics (or even regular rubber) to polyurethene.

I considered replacing the mount with another OEM one, but I did not want to face the same problem down the road. Plus, the TSW mount helps better with engine torque. To me, your power is better applied to the ground with it.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by astrochex
NVH is minimal. It has made me acutely aware of the oil level, however.

The TSW mount is highly recommended.

OK, do you mean the cars oil level or your own?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM
coopselt
3rd Gear
Got told today by the mechanic that my upper motor mount needs replacing. This is at 33K miles. 1st one was replaced at 15K miles.

For those who've had this on for awhile, are they holding up better than this??

Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had any issues in 10k miles. Looks brand new with a swipe of a blue paper towel.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by coopselt
Got told today by the mechanic that my upper motor mount needs replacing. This is at 33K miles. 1st one was replaced at 15K miles.

Sounds about right. Mine first one went at 17,000; I have another OEM one in there now (The TSW wasn't available when my first one went).

I'm eventually going to replace the OEM one with a TSW when I get close to 15,000 miles or so. When the OEM mount goes, the ensuing mess isn't pretty...

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
It's true that the TSW engine mount adds some NVH (especially the V) compared to the OEM mount. For some it's not so bad and an acceptable tradeoff. My car's got a lot of NVH already, so I was surprised that I noticed it so much and how much it annoyed me. My solution?

I already had the VIP stabilizer, so I just married the two: the TSW urethane unit (sans stabilizer) with the VIP stabilizer. Still stiffer than a teenager in the morning...
Oh... just saw this. I removed my VIP stabilizer when I installed the TSW mount last weekend. I might go back to this approach... me likey.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Paul--give it a try if you find the TSW a little harsh. As you can see it's a simple exchange of the damper bar.
I noticed it during the cold months, and maybe if you don't suffer from too many sub-zero days you don't need it. But it's a nice use of some spare parts...LOL

Old 05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear

[/quote]

So can anyone tell me if this is available? I'm in need after my second stock piece has failed.

Longboard

Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Woah... Available... Hmmmm... There might be a secret garage with an undergroung archery range located in SoCal that might make those, that's the first I'v seen.... & the trick brace....

Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stevecars60
Woah... Available... Hmmmm... There might be a secret garage with an undergroung archery range located in SoCal that might make those, that's the first I'v seen.... & the trick brace....
The brace is from a convertible. I believe they bolt right on but I have know idea if they add anything beneficial to the hard top.

So it sound like stock or the TSW model is our only choice. How much vibration "does" the TSW make

Old 05-26-2010, 05:00 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
Engine Mount

Originally Posted by Longboard Mini

So can anyone tell me if this is available? I'm in need after my second stock piece has failed.

Longboard
That looks like a prototype that Custom Mini Shop http://www.customminishop.com/index.html
in Fresno was making. I have no idea if it's in production, being tested, or discontinued.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-26-2010, 05:40 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
The brace is from a convertible. I believe they bolt right on but I have know idea if they add anything beneficial to the hard top.

So it sound like stock or the TSW model is our only choice. How much vibration "does" the TSW make
We have a few convertibles, never saw that brace - It is a suspension pick up point.. Interesting....

I wasn't kidding about the SoCal shop, just the underground part, - someone was making some trick mounts. Kazlot might be right.......

Old 05-26-2010, 06:50 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
I've got about 60k on that mount now, but the second rubber cushion. I believe if we incorporate a VIP type engine damper it will keep the engine from migrating back on the mount and causing the pinch that ultimately destroys it. I have purposely not run the TSW damper that you see the mount for so I can get a good idea of how the mount works. Without any damping there is very little increase in NVH. I'm now running the BSH lower mount to see how that affects the mount. There is definitely less movement so I expect the mount to survive longer. There is a little more vibration from the BSH mount, but no more than on a MINI with a stock mount. Don't hold your breath for production, but maybe it will get built someday.

Steve

Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 PM
astrochex
6th Gear

People have reported less rattling in the dash with the addition of the convertible braces, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-cabrio.html.

The TSW mount adds a small amount of vibration. If your beast is smoother than a standard R53, then you'll have less. I'm actually thinking about putting vibration damping on the gas pedal. And for the mount you pictured, you might want to talk to Van at SCMM.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That prototype design looks really cool. Would like to know more about it. Perhaps someone will begin producing it.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine replaced 6k ago at 28k and asked if Mini had an improved design. The answer is NO. Eventually warranties will expire and Mini will reap profits for knowingly producing a $shitty part. If it's not a safety issue, they don't need to do anything.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Hey Paul--give it a try if you find the TSW a little harsh. As you can see it's a simple exchange of the damper bar.
I noticed it during the cold months, and maybe if you don't suffer from too many sub-zero days you don't need it. But it's a nice use of some spare parts...LOL
I've definitely got more NVH at idle with the new mount... but may not have the damper length adjusted properly. But I do think I'll do the swap in a week or two when i have time.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
lsnover
3rd Gear
I'm hopefully getting my TSW mount installed this weekend. If the NVH is too much, I may try drilling into the sides near the center ridge with a 1/4" drill bit in an offset pattern above and below the center line, and then filling the holes with regular silicone. I figure that may soften the mount some without compromising the strength. I'm going to start with 4 holes on each side of center, and figure I can add more holes and regular silicone until I get the desired dampening effect.

It would be neat to make a mount like this with concentric rings with different durometers of hardness, that you could slide in and out to fine tune, kind of like those new weight sets that let you lock the different weight sizes in an off the bar. LOL.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Cavalier Cooper
3rd Gear

Same story here, the previous owner replaced the first one two years ago. I walked into the garage this morning and found this

RIP motor mount. It looks like next week I'll be putting in the TSW mount. I'm going to put in a new expansion tank too to avoid that time bomb. Mine is brown (I guess it is supposed to be clear).

Old 05-31-2010, 02:37 AM
Minian
5th Gear
I'm glad to see this thread. I replaced my Engine Mount this past Saturday and noticed the noise/vibration changes right away. I thought I installed the TSW mount incorrectly. I feel better knowing others are getting the same vibes. One good thing that came from the swap is the power to the ground transfer. I did and unexpected 2nd gear chirp Sunday afternoon, which never happened before. Next I will swap the control are bushings with powerflex bushings.

DrPhil - How is the vibration with the marriage of the VIP/TSW Eng Mt?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 AM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Got my TSW mount installed on Friday. There is definitely some more vibration, wouldn't say any more noise. It's not horrible, but it's there. I can live with it and not have to deal with the mount blowing out. What a mess to clean up! If they come out with something softer, I'll swap out at some point. At least it's an easy install.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Minian
DrPhil - How is the vibration with the marriage of the VIP/TSW Eng Mt?
I like the combination--it offers a little reduction in vibration, but just a little. I wouldn't necessarily buy a VIP but if you have one it is a great option with the TSW.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Today I swapped my VIP mount back in and removed the TSW damper section like Dr. Phil. Have a few hours of driving tomorrow to try it out.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Minian
5th Gear
I like the combination--it offers a little reduction in vibration, but just a little. I wouldn't necessarily buy a VIP but if you have one it is a great option with the TSW.

Thanks for the reply. Oh! Nice color choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Aftermarket replacement for hydraulic motor mount?