Best intercooler boots? - North American Motoring
MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Drivetrain (Cooper S)
Log In 
Search

Best intercooler boots?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM
jaynicholson's Avatar
jaynicholson jaynicholson is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 868
Best intercooler boots?

I want to get a set of aftermarket IC boots and want some feedback. The only brands I'm aware of are Alta, M7 and GT Tuning. What I do know is that the Alta ones seem to be the most common, the GTT are supposed to be good but 2x the cost, and I can find very little about the M7 ones. Which should I go with? Feedback would be great.
__________________
Jay
2005 MCS - LSD, M7 16%, JCW CAI, JCW 380's, Milltek, RMW tune, RSpeed 22mm, etc. = 195.9 hp + 184.5 ft lbs @ the wheels
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 AM
#20Works4me's Avatar
#20Works4me #20Works4me is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 975
I had the Alta one's and for a generic band unlike the formed factory one they worked and looked fine.
__________________


2006 MCS JCW #20/64 Competiton Edition (Canada's version of the GP but only 64), JCW Suspension, JCW Brakes, JCW Body kit, JCW Engine & exhaust with JCW header, ITG Filter, Brisk Plugs, RMW Tuned @ 196WHP, JCW CF dash, shifter and ebrake handle. English Panther Leather, full load, JCW R112 Challenge wheels summer and R98 webspokes winter {sig pic by COOPERation}
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
minilites's Avatar
minilites minilites is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: canoga park cailf.
Posts: 217
if you just want bling then go aftermarket but sometime function beats form
stay with the stock boots
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
minimusprime's Avatar
minimusprime minimusprime is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Flying My Roflcopter
Posts: 1,429
Send a message via AIM to minimusprime Send a message via MSN to minimusprime Send a message via Skype™ to minimusprime
i like my stock boots quite a bit.
__________________

I'm the pink power ranger...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 PM
bean's Avatar
bean bean is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 915
i had two boots split while on the track.....no fun....no power! i now run the alta boots. no problems so far. i've only run a couple of events with them, but i believe that they will last longer than OEM. not bling in interested in w/ this part, purely function.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Bahamabart Bahamabart is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,291
I've used mini mania and m7. Most aftermarket boots are pretty similar, their widths may vary a tad.
__________________
BahamaBart 03 MCS MODS - Eng: LDG Tune,15% Pulley, IK22, MinSpeed CAI w/ ITG Filter, OBX Header/CatBack, M7 OCC. Susp: Bilstiens, 19MM RDR RSB, Sparco DS1 w/ Goodyear F1 GDS-3 Brakes: SS lines, Hawk HPS & drilled rotors MISC: M7 Wing & Splitter,Checkered Graphics, Chrome Grill, Rear Vents, Shift **** & Rear Brake Kit, PIAA driving lights & horns, S&W boost & PLX A/F gauges, Hood Vents, Orcini scoops, GTech RR, V1 & Blinder.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
jaynicholson's Avatar
jaynicholson jaynicholson is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamabart View Post
I've used mini mania and m7. Most aftermarket boots are pretty similar, their widths may vary a tad.
Did you prefer one over the other?
__________________
Jay
2005 MCS - LSD, M7 16%, JCW CAI, JCW 380's, Milltek, RMW tune, RSpeed 22mm, etc. = 195.9 hp + 184.5 ft lbs @ the wheels
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2008, 05:01 PM
billzcat1 billzcat1 is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 269
Just installed a set of the Alta intercooler couplers. They appear to be doing their job. The smaller one (intercooler to intake manifold) is a pretty tight fit but nothing a small flathead screwdriver couldn't assist with. I've never had a problem with any of the other Alta products I own so I'm confident these will work as advertised.

Also - this is a great time to clean the oil film out of the intercooler - have an extra can of carb cleaner around when you begin this project.
__________________
'06 MCS Dark Silver/Black
*RECARO Sportster CS + JCW Wheel + CG-Locks
*ALTA 15%/v2.0 CAI/v1.0 TMIC/ICCs/19mm RSB. One-ball. BKR7EQUP/JCW 380cc RMW Tune: 198whp/176wtq *BBS RX/BF-G

'72 Mini 1275 - .020 over, Mamba/Yokohama, FreeFlow, Pierce, Weber, QL5000
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Guest Guest is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCaL (Agoura Hills)
Posts: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynicholson View Post
I want to get a set of aftermarket IC boots and want some feedback. The only brands I'm aware of are Alta, M7 and GT Tuning. What I do know is that the Alta ones seem to be the most common, the GTT are supposed to be good but 2x the cost, and I can find very little about the M7 ones. Which should I go with? Feedback would be great.
I agree with the other posters, why go aftermarket? The stock ones work fine as long as yours aren't cracked or dried out... .

Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Bahamabart Bahamabart is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynicholson View Post
Did you prefer one over the other?
The Mini mania were slightly stiffer = real pain in the ***, fought me the whole way. The M7 are slightly more pliable and a little easier to work with. I believe slightly wider (I need to double check this but my son is out for the night so tomorrow I will verify and post.).

regardless of the brand - it helps to have and extra set of helping hands
__________________
BahamaBart 03 MCS MODS - Eng: LDG Tune,15% Pulley, IK22, MinSpeed CAI w/ ITG Filter, OBX Header/CatBack, M7 OCC. Susp: Bilstiens, 19MM RDR RSB, Sparco DS1 w/ Goodyear F1 GDS-3 Brakes: SS lines, Hawk HPS & drilled rotors MISC: M7 Wing & Splitter,Checkered Graphics, Chrome Grill, Rear Vents, Shift **** & Rear Brake Kit, PIAA driving lights & horns, S&W boost & PLX A/F gauges, Hood Vents, Orcini scoops, GTech RR, V1 & Blinder.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Bahamabart Bahamabart is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyboy155 View Post
I agree with the other posters, why go aftermarket? The stock ones work fine as long as yours aren't cracked or dried out... .
For some aftermarket ICs, you need them especially if the IC floats they need help to be held in place and stockers can't cut it.

Colors is another key reason to go aftermarket
__________________
BahamaBart 03 MCS MODS - Eng: LDG Tune,15% Pulley, IK22, MinSpeed CAI w/ ITG Filter, OBX Header/CatBack, M7 OCC. Susp: Bilstiens, 19MM RDR RSB, Sparco DS1 w/ Goodyear F1 GDS-3 Brakes: SS lines, Hawk HPS & drilled rotors MISC: M7 Wing & Splitter,Checkered Graphics, Chrome Grill, Rear Vents, Shift **** & Rear Brake Kit, PIAA driving lights & horns, S&W boost & PLX A/F gauges, Hood Vents, Orcini scoops, GTech RR, V1 & Blinder.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM
bean's Avatar
bean bean is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyboy155 View Post
I agree with the other posters, why go aftermarket? The stock ones work fine as long as yours aren't cracked or dried out... .
unless we posted at the same time.....i have had two OEM boots split. that is why i went w/ the alta boots. my car has a TSW engine dampener installed. stock boots didn't cut it....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:27 PM
RedSkunk RedSkunk is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MINIapolis
Posts: 1,111
Send a message via AIM to RedSkunk
I used the Altas for awhile but they're infuriatingly difficult to put on and chances are they won't seal as well as the stockers. I'm not into dressing up the engine bay so it was kind of pointless in that regard. Wasn't some tuner complaining about them awhile back.. LDG?
__________________

[ pics ] 2006 HB/W MCS: 15% pulley, intake, full exhaust, 380cc injectors, RMW cam & tune, colder plugs, Koni Yellows, IE fixed camber plates, 22mm rear sway, Alta PSRS bushings, rear control arms, R56 calipers, TSW engine mount, Helix short shift, Outmotoring gauge faces, whizzeels, etcetera
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Tüls's Avatar
Tüls Tüls is offline
Turbius Maximus
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Infinity and beyond
Posts: 4,416
I used silicone ones when I still had a top mount. Kinda like the alta ones. They took a little know how to get on, simple really, once you know the trick. They were the only thing that would hold on with 28 lbs of boost :D
__________________

Looking for me? Click on the Rogue logo
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
RedSkunk RedSkunk is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MINIapolis
Posts: 1,111
Send a message via AIM to RedSkunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
unless we posted at the same time.....i have had two OEM boots split. that is why i went w/ the alta boots. my car has a TSW engine dampener installed. stock boots didn't cut it....
An engine damper isn't going to make the boot split, but you do have some sort of problem if you're splitting intercooler boots.
__________________

[ pics ] 2006 HB/W MCS: 15% pulley, intake, full exhaust, 380cc injectors, RMW cam & tune, colder plugs, Koni Yellows, IE fixed camber plates, 22mm rear sway, Alta PSRS bushings, rear control arms, R56 calipers, TSW engine mount, Helix short shift, Outmotoring gauge faces, whizzeels, etcetera
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 PM
bean's Avatar
bean bean is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkunk View Post
An engine damper isn't going to make the boot split, but you do have some sort of problem if you're splitting intercooler boots.
you missed my point....even w/ an engine dampener, i've split ic boots. i do drive the car very hard on the track. there is nothing wrong w/ my car. i've checked it out multiple times. both times, the boot split along the line of the clamp. no doubt, the failure was due to relative movement between the engine (significant w/out poly mounts) and the rest of the car. i started a thread about this the first time that it happened. not much response. aftermarket boots seemed to be a good solution. so far, so good.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Bahamabart Bahamabart is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,291
The irony is you need to clamp these suckers down yet I have seen the clamps actually work as a knife and cut the boot and my guess is thats what happened to Beaner.
__________________
BahamaBart 03 MCS MODS - Eng: LDG Tune,15% Pulley, IK22, MinSpeed CAI w/ ITG Filter, OBX Header/CatBack, M7 OCC. Susp: Bilstiens, 19MM RDR RSB, Sparco DS1 w/ Goodyear F1 GDS-3 Brakes: SS lines, Hawk HPS & drilled rotors MISC: M7 Wing & Splitter,Checkered Graphics, Chrome Grill, Rear Vents, Shift **** & Rear Brake Kit, PIAA driving lights & horns, S&W boost & PLX A/F gauges, Hood Vents, Orcini scoops, GTech RR, V1 & Blinder.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Bahamabart Bahamabart is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkunk View Post
I used the Altas for awhile but they're infuriatingly difficult to put on and chances are they won't seal as well as the stockers. I'm not into dressing up the engine bay so it was kind of pointless in that regard. Wasn't some tuner complaining about them awhile back.. LDG?
The Mini Manias drove me and my son insane - we both lost some skin off of our knuckles . There is a trick I learned from GTT on how to get them to seal up properly. Take the half of the clamp that is not threaded and you remove 1/16th to 1/8th at both tips, this allows the clamps to close even more.
__________________
BahamaBart 03 MCS MODS - Eng: LDG Tune,15% Pulley, IK22, MinSpeed CAI w/ ITG Filter, OBX Header/CatBack, M7 OCC. Susp: Bilstiens, 19MM RDR RSB, Sparco DS1 w/ Goodyear F1 GDS-3 Brakes: SS lines, Hawk HPS & drilled rotors MISC: M7 Wing & Splitter,Checkered Graphics, Chrome Grill, Rear Vents, Shift **** & Rear Brake Kit, PIAA driving lights & horns, S&W boost & PLX A/F gauges, Hood Vents, Orcini scoops, GTech RR, V1 & Blinder.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Guest Guest is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCaL (Agoura Hills)
Posts: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
you missed my point....even w/ an engine dampener, i've split ic boots. i do drive the car very hard on the track. there is nothing wrong w/ my car. i've checked it out multiple times. both times, the boot split along the line of the clamp. no doubt, the failure was due to relative movement between the engine (significant w/out poly mounts) and the rest of the car. i started a thread about this the first time that it happened. not much response. aftermarket boots seemed to be a good solution. so far, so good.
I track my car, and drive it on the street pretty close to how I drive it on the track (I actually needed to switch to track pads on the street because I was fading my other pads .) 30k miles, 230 whp for the last 20k miles, never split a boot or had any boost leaks. Jan's GP make's over 260 whp and 230 lb-ft of torque he tracks his car hardtrack their cars, they run he's got stock boots. Something's wrong with one of your mounts if you're splitting boots that often .
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-12-2008, 06:31 AM
jonnieoh's Avatar
jonnieoh jonnieoh is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 1,637
The Alta couplers were a beotch to put on. I found that heating them in front of our furnace vent did help make them more flexible, and just slightly easier to install. But they were still really tough to get on.

I have no idea if they truly seal better than the stock couplers, but they sure are beefier and thicker. I defer to the track experts and tuners out there to tell me if they truly seal better or not, but I can't tell.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-12-2008, 09:05 AM
jaynicholson's Avatar
jaynicholson jaynicholson is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 868
Well, I got a set of the M7 ones. I forget how much they said, I think it was $40 with shipping.

The reason why I'm looking at these is 1) cheap bling, and 2) I'm getting a tune from Jan in a couple of weeks and as part of my prep I'm making sure that everything is air tight...no IC leaks and no exhaust leaks. I don't imagine Jan will be coming to Rochester NY too often and don't want anything to screw this up.
__________________
Jay
2005 MCS - LSD, M7 16%, JCW CAI, JCW 380's, Milltek, RMW tune, RSpeed 22mm, etc. = 195.9 hp + 184.5 ft lbs @ the wheels
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Bahamabart Bahamabart is offline
6th Gear
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynicholson View Post
Well, I got a set of the M7 ones. I forget how much they said, I think it was $40 with shipping.

The reason why I'm looking at these is 1) cheap bling, and 2) I'm getting a tune from Jan in a couple of weeks and as part of my prep I'm making sure that everything is air tight...no IC leaks and no exhaust leaks. I don't imagine Jan will be coming to Rochester NY too often and don't want anything to screw this up.
Smart.
__________________
BahamaBart 03 MCS MODS - Eng: LDG Tune,15% Pulley, IK22, MinSpeed CAI w/ ITG Filter, OBX Header/CatBack, M7 OCC. Susp: Bilstiens, 19MM RDR RSB, Sparco DS1 w/ Goodyear F1 GDS-3 Brakes: SS lines, Hawk HPS & drilled rotors MISC: M7 Wing & Splitter,Checkered Graphics, Chrome Grill, Rear Vents, Shift **** & Rear Brake Kit, PIAA driving lights & horns, S&W boost & PLX A/F gauges, Hood Vents, Orcini scoops, GTech RR, V1 & Blinder.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Guest Guest is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCaL (Agoura Hills)
Posts: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnieoh View Post
The Alta couplers were a beotch to put on. I found that heating them in front of our furnace vent did help make them more flexible, and just slightly easier to install. But they were still really tough to get on.

I have no idea if they truly seal better than the stock couplers, but they sure are beefier and thicker. I defer to the track experts and tuners out there to tell me if they truly seal better or not, but I can't tell.
It's pretty black and white, you'd know if you had a boost leak. Unless you're stock boots are leaking (In which case replacing then with another set of stock boots is usually enough to fix that) you're not going to notice any differences in boost.

If you had a boost leak you'd be throwing codes and your car would be running like crap .
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 PM
bean's Avatar
bean bean is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyboy155 View Post
I track my car, and drive it on the street pretty close to how I drive it on the track (I actually needed to switch to track pads on the street because I was fading my other pads .) 30k miles, 230 whp for the last 20k miles, never split a boot or had any boost leaks. Jan's GP make's over 260 whp and 230 lb-ft of torque he tracks his car hardtrack their cars, they run he's got stock boots. Something's wrong with one of your mounts if you're splitting boots that often .
ok....i've replaced (the dealership actually) one of my front mounts. i think, but am not sure, that this was after my boot splitting experiences. can you give me anywhere specific to look? the alta boots didn't cost much and if they solve the problem, i'm ok w/ that. no noticable abnormal engine movement. thanks, greg
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Guest Guest is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCaL (Agoura Hills)
Posts: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
ok....i've replaced (the dealership actually) one of my front mounts. i think, but am not sure, that this was after my boot splitting experiences. can you give me anywhere specific to look? the alta boots didn't cost much and if they solve the problem, i'm ok w/ that. no noticable abnormal engine movement. thanks, greg
I can't imagine what could be jostling your IC around enough to split boots like that. Is your hydraulic mount bad?
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold side intake tube upgrades? Qik420 R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) 1 10-04-2015 09:19 PM
FS:: Mini wings for boot vetsvette MINI Parts for Sale 3 10-02-2015 06:32 PM
Clicking Only When Backing Up gknorr Stock Problems/Issues 7 10-01-2015 10:20 AM
FS:: GKN Lobro (OEM Brand) Inner CV Boot Kits gknorr MINI Parts for Sale 0 09-29-2015 10:30 PM
Question about intercooler!! Adam Bradbury R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) 2 09-28-2015 05:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

,
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 AM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring.