Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 brakes = R53 JCW brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:14 PM
omgzilla
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sonichris has mentioned that he though he'd need bushes to stop the float that you're referring to auscoops but then came to a conclusion. I honestly have no idea on the matter but it sounds like it shouldn't really be an issue.

Read on...

Originally Posted by sonichris
i have made a "discovery". i will not be needing to put bushings in the larger lug holes. when doing a brake job on a honda oddysey i noticed that after removing the 2 tiny screws that hold the rotor to the hub, i could (after whacking it with a hammer to free it from the hub) actually move the rotor about 1mm radially in either direction. this means that the lugs (or studs in this case) do not actually hold the rotor in place, it is simply the friction of the rotor/hub mating surface. the wheel squeezes the rotor hard enough to prevent it from moving.

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (10-30-2023)
Old 12-26-2007, 01:13 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, not sure if you still need brake lines, but Goodridge now makes SS lines for R56. They have them at Moss MINI

Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Acorin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
FWIW, late '06 R53s had the JCW brakes standard. Mine has 'em.
Probably a lame question, but is there a way I can confirm this for my car? Mine shows a 9/06 build date on the drivers' side door plate.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
omgzilla
Neutral
Originally Posted by Acorin
Probably a lame question, but is there a way I can confirm this for my car? Mine shows a 9/06 build date on the drivers' side door plate.
Just reading through my tech update documents here i can't confirm this. There is no mention of the JCW brakes being a standard feature on the late '06 MCS.

Regardless, if all information serves correct (the R56 MCS utilizes the same calipers etc as R53 MCS JCW Kit etc) - I'd doubt BMW Mini would 'give them away' as standard on '06 run-out MCS, if they could use them in production for the R56 MCS.

I'll make a call today to see if i can confirm for you.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Acorin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by omgzilla
Just reading through my tech update documents here i can't confirm this. There is no mention of the JCW brakes being a standard feature on the late '06 MCS.

Regardless, if all information serves correct (the R56 MCS utilizes the same calipers etc as R53 MCS JCW Kit etc) - I'd doubt BMW Mini would 'give them away' as standard on '06 run-out MCS, if they could use them in production for the R56 MCS.

I'll make a call today to see if i can confirm for you.
Thanks, any info appreciated. I recall reading somewhere else that part of MINI/BMW's thinking might have been more a matter of the retooling for R56 production being completed and them just making a couple of tweaks to late R53 production for simplicity's sake, but I agree it seems like a significant "freebie".

Old 12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
omgzilla
Neutral
I can assure you that 'retooling' for production isn't a great issue. The only time they will 'retool' is once they completely finished producing/mass producing a model.

Until recently the E46 3-Series BMW was still in production to buy as new. The E46 Series has been in production since 1998 (undergoing a slight 'facelift' in 2002)!

So I highly doubt this would be an issue, regardless - i'd like to see if this is really true, or if not how BSUCardinalfan's got the upgrade and/or where his info source is.

Last edited by omgzilla; 12-26-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Looking for any updates on the install...

Do you know if the standard r56 lines will attach to the r53?? If so, easier job than thought???

Any issues with running the r56 disc on the r53 hub, given there is approx 1mm radial movement??

Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by auscoops
Looking for any updates on the install...

Do you know if the standard r56 lines will attach to the r53?? If so, easier job than thought???

Any issues with running the r56 disc on the r53 hub, given there is approx 1mm radial movement??
you need R56 lines.

the 1mm movement i'm refering to was when i was doing a brake job on a honda odyssey. after freeing the rotor from the hub face i could move the rotor slightly back and forth (about 1mm) before the side of the hole touched the lugs, thus proving (at least to me) that the the lugs don't have to touch the side of the hole to keep the rotor in place. what that means for us is that the larger size of the bolt holes in the R56 rotor will not be an issue.

i have ordered pads and will finally be putting these on in the next few weeks. i was waiting for some ferodo DS2500 pads to be available for the R56 but they still are not, so i got some EBC yellows.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 AM
msjulie33
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
FWIW, late '06 R53s had the JCW brakes standard. Mine has 'em.
My car was built 11/06 - how do I know I have those brakes (measure them? find a part # someplace?)

thanks

EDIT just saw above comments about freebies, etc... it is interesting that the earlier S cars had different supercharger vs JCW (not just pulley) and that later S cars got the new coated vanes so maybe there is some slop around part sizes/specs

Last edited by msjulie33; 01-17-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by msjulie33
My car was built 11/06 - how do I know I have those brakes (measure them? find a part # someplace?)
R53 are 10.9 inches in diameter, R56 are 11.6 inches

Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
you need R56 lines.

the 1mm movement i'm refering to was when i was doing a brake job on a honda odyssey. after freeing the rotor from the hub face i could move the rotor slightly back and forth (about 1mm) before the side of the hole touched the lugs, thus proving (at least to me) that the the lugs don't have to touch the side of the hole to keep the rotor in place. what that means for us is that the larger size of the bolt holes in the R56 rotor will not be an issue.

i have ordered pads and will finally be putting these on in the next few weeks. i was waiting for some ferodo DS2500 pads to be available for the R56 but they still are not, so i got some EBC yellows.

So to confirm - the R56 lines will fit straight up to the R53?

Cheers for the update!

Roland

Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
So to confirm - the R56 lines will fit straight up to the R53?

Cheers for the update!

Roland
that's the last piece of the puzzle. while i have not physically attached the new lines yet, i've compared them to my R53 and they seem to be exactly the same (except for the end that attaches to the caliper). i'm 99.9% sure they will screw right on as i doubt they would change thread pitch or diameter on the brake line fitting. the only OTHER thing i have not personally confirmed is whether or not these brakes will fit over my stock 16" X-lites with my winter tires, which is what i have on now. perhaps some other member could chime in on this one, or just wait a week or two and i will answer both of those questions with certainty.

(edit-->yes they fit fine!)

Last edited by sonichris; 03-14-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: new info
Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 PM
CoolJamJar
1st Gear
that's the last piece of the puzzle. while i have not physically attached the new lines yet, i've compared them to my R53 and they seem to be exactly the same (except for the end that attaches to the caliper). i'm 99.9% sure they will screw right on as i doubt they would change thread pitch or diameter on the brake line fitting. the only OTHER thing i have not personally confirmed is whether or not these brakes will fit over my stock 16" X-lites with my winter tires, which is what i have on now. perhaps some other member could chime in on this one, or just wait a week or two and i will answer both of those questions with certainty.
From Outmotoring website listing on the R53 JCW Brakes (which the R56 brakes are):

Fits the following wheels without any spacers:

R85 17" S-Lite Wheel
R87 16" Double Spoke Wheel
R90 17" Two Piece Cross Spoke Wheel
R91 17" 5-Star Bullet Wheel
R95 18" John Cooper Works Wheel
R98 17" Web Spoke Wheel
R99 17" Double Spoke Wheel

Will most likely fit many other wheels with small wheel spacers sold separately.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 PM
guidmini
3rd Gear
fitment issue

Roland the R53 have banjo fittings/ the R56 has a male screw in fitting on the line. The R56 brake caliper is different in demension and looks different. Late model late production R53s and JCW RED CALIPERS. Are the same just the JCW has a bigger Brake Disc. But the R56 as I mentioned
is a completely new set-up. How Do I know. I have a set that will be going on my car. Once I am out
of Maint Warranty. So you cannot use your standard R53 lines on this new caliper.

See ya Guido

Last edited by guidmini; 01-19-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:53 AM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by guidmini
Roland the R53 have banjo fittings/ the R56 has a male screw in fitting on the line. The R56 brake caliper is different in demension and looks different. Late model late production R53s and JCW RED CALIPERS. Are the same just the JCW has a bigger Brake Disc. But the R56 as I mentioned
is a completely new set-up. How Do I know. I have a set that will be going on my car. Once I am out
of Maint Warranty. So you cannot use your standard R53 lines on this new caliper.

See ya Guido

Yep got you... I have a pair for R56 callipers and rotors too! I'm just waiting for someone to successfully install so i can probe for info

I understood that you can't reuse the R53 lines, but i just want to confirm (before buying) that the R56 lines will fit up to the R53??

Cheers

Roland

Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Azfalconfixer
1st Gear
Is there a difference in rear brakes from the R53 to R56??

Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
the rotor diameter is the same. the shape of the pads are different. the '07 pad seems to have a larger pad area. in any case, not worth doing for a performance benefit.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:25 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
**done!**

ok, they are on! no pictures yet.

one SLIGHT issue, EASILY resolved. the R53 brake lines fit into a slot on a bracket where they attach to the metal line. the hole it fits into is shaped like the end of the line. the R56 line has a different shape. it was easily remedied by filing two small notches on the inside of the braket on the body. here is what i'm talking about:

that is looking straight at the end of the hose where it fits through the metal bracket. it is not to scale because i only had to file two notches inside the bracket to get it to fit, and from my drawing it looks like you would need to file four. anyway, it's very simple and took me 30 seconds with a 3/16 round file.

other than that, no problems. i have my 16" X-lites on there now. there is about 3mm clearance (1mm when the stick-on wheel weights go by) between the caliper and the inside of the wheel. so check to see if it clears your weights before taking off down the road.

Last edited by sonichris; 03-17-2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: updated link to picture
Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Stu(pid)
1st Gear
Thanks Sonichris!! I think you have answered all the possible questions:

do the rotors fit.....yes
do you need R56 brake lines.....yes
do the 16" X-lites fit.....yes (but check clearance with your weights).

I think this thread should prove useful for many people.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:44 AM
auscoops
3rd Gear
ok, they are on! no pictures yet.

one SLIGHT issue, EASILY resolved. the R53 brake lines fit into a slot on a bracket where they attach to the metal line. the hole it fits into is shaped like the end of the line. the R56 line has a different shape. it was easily remedied by filing two small notches on the inside of the braket on the body. here is what i'm talking about:

that is looking straight at the end of the hose where it fits through the metal bracket. it is not to scale because i only had to file two notches inside the bracket to get it to fit, and from my drawing it looks like you would need to file four. anyway, it's very simple and took me 30 seconds with a 3/16 round file.

other than that, no problems. i have my 16" X-lites on there now. there is about 3mm clearance (1mm when the stick-on wheel weights go by) between the caliper and the inside of the wheel. so check to see if it clears your weights before taking off down the road.

Cheers for the update. All good info!

How do they feel? A marked improvement?

Roland

Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 AM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Great info. I have X-lites and a set of these calipers, rotors and lines in the basement. I'm looking forward to the install!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Cheers for the update. All good info!

How do they feel? A marked improvement?

Roland
i changed pad compounds also (went from green stuff to yellow stuff) so i can't make a direct comparison to before and after. i CAN say that even though i am still bedding in these pads, i have to apply less pedal pressure to stop. in a few weeks they should be fully bed in and i can test their full potential.

the main reason i did the switch is to be able to have a larger margin of safety when pushing the car hard into corners. i have a tendency to wait until the last minute, get on the brakes HARD and turn. i ran out of brakes once with my previous set up.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:54 AM
xnotfunkylex
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The r56 brakes should fit an r50 as well right? No one has asked this question yet, and I wouldn't mind having the bigger brakes on there. The r53 and r50 have the same set up correct?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly

Last edited by 03Indigo; 04-27-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Hmmm
So all you need is R56 brake lines and they are DIRECT swap? bolts and all them?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain R56 brakes = R53 JCW brakes?