Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

SCDA HPDE Schedule

Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I like a little body roll for slaloms I pre turn a tiny bit the wrong way to get the roll started going in

I setup my track car pretty stiff on comp/rebound but with the stock KW v3 springs, will see how that goes.

I have spun my AX car with the big rear swaybar, so I left the track car with the stock bar until I get used to it

Old 07-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
I think you are smart to leave the sway bars alone. Learn to drive what you have and with that, learn what to fix, both in the car and the loose nut behind the wheel.

A suggestion for the track....
Soften the compression on the front but leave the rebound stiff. Yes, this will give some dive under braking, but that moves weight forward and it increases camber. Doing this with a bit of trail braking should be good for making a fast entry. It should do that without loosing traction in the rear.

Most of all have fun and be safe.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered OMP side mounts for the seat and Planted seat brackets and OMP Sliders. The PWC car you see in my picture has sliders for the driver side not the passenger side. I think the easiest way to have a quick swappable set up is to have separate setup for the stock and aftermarket seat. Remove the whole seat and bracket as a whole and have to stock and aftermarket seat setup. OMP/Sparco seats are M8x1.25 for the side mounts bolts. You can make your own bracket if you have the tools or even want to bother yourself with it. It not time consuming at all. Maybe you can even mount right to the floor i guess just measure how low you will sit and go from there.

Are you in an advanced group? they normally want to same setup on both sides Driver & Passenger. I purchase my Passenger set up with the hopes that after i move to an advanced group, i will sell the passenger setup. If i get 50% back ill be ok. the seat and everything is FIA approved until 2021.

Originally Posted by zre
Looks like you have quite a bit of work to do with all those parts. How are you going to mount the seats? Been debating on mounting system. Purchased Brey Krause brackets for the Recaro that fit a MINI but trying to figure how to mount to car so it is interchangeable with current stock installation without much changeover. Purchased resistor for airbag system, connectors to add for interface.

Eddie07S said BMW Club recommends fixed seat base, so need to design tie-in from bracket to car.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
If there is something i notice from my track days is the need for an LSD. Car feels good in every way, but when it time to accelerate while still turning. it just feels like the car has no pull for a quick second until i put it straight.

Ed was it night and day when you put the LSD. I really don't want to do this until i have to either replace my engine because it went boom or need to do clutch.

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
As I said above, I did an autocross this past weekend. This was me first event since doing a bunch of mods last year. Last year I installed a 27mm front sway bar, a 25mm hollow rear sway bar, poly front lower control arm bushings and the Quaife LSD. I already had the IE fixed camber plates set at -1.5 deg. All of this is setting on on MINI sport springs and Bilstein B8 shocks. I dialed in -2 deg rear camber and have the RSB set softest. This makes for quite a quick track car with a lot of stability.

All the wrong things for an autocross car, right?

Wrong!

This track car makes for a pretty darn good autocross car. Very good turn-in and cornering in everything except the tightest of turns where push dominated. There, a stiffer RSB would help. I, also am curious about the shocks. They supposedly came from a champion autocross car, but they seem soft to me for autocross although they are good on the track.

Well, so much for the theory that you need to get rid of the front sway bar to make a MINI handle well.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 AM
zre
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking into anti-sub belt for my seat setup. Thanks for noting the Quick Pro fit allows for this (didn't realize it). I ordered Brey Krause side mounts and fabricating seat brackets which will mount to stock points. Will have to add hooks for anti sub belt. Already use Hans device with current setup so this will add to safety.

I normally run solo in intermediate class so if I need an instructor I will have to stay with stock seats until I can get a complimentary passenger seat setup. Have spoken with race shop were I got seat and they may have other seat in future.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:15 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
This are the belts i got G-FORCE Racing 7501RD They are FIA approved and are 6 point and after they expire i think it lke $100 to get them re-webbed and Certify again in 5 years.

G-FORCE Racing 7501RD $185
G-FORCE 109H Eye Bolt x 2 $10
G-FORCE 107W 3" Quick release for the Seat belts X 2 $8
G-FORCE 107H 2" Quick Release for the seat belts X 2 $8
Total $211

What is Quick Pro?

So i signed up with the Audi Club to go to WGI on 8-22 8-23 Already booked my hotel and everything. Now comes the get everything ready part. The heat has just been punishing. I'm not even looking forward to all the work, I'm normally get excited and all, but the heat is incredible.

Originally Posted by zre
I am looking into anti-sub belt for my seat setup. Thanks for noting the Quick Pro fit allows for this (didn't realize it). I ordered Brey Krause side mounts and fabricating seat brackets which will mount to stock points. Will have to add hooks for anti sub belt. Already use Hans device with current setup so this will add to safety.

I normally run solo in intermediate class so if I need an instructor I will have to stay with stock seats until I can get a complimentary passenger seat setup. Have spoken with race shop were I got seat and they may have other seat in future.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 AM
zre
4th Gear
Quick Pro is a Schroth harness that clips into the stock seat belt receivers.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:58 AM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zre
Quick Pro is a Schroth harness that clips into the stock seat belt receivers.
I never got does because i normally run with PCA and it a No No for them. It like Eddie07S said all this clubs have different rules and some make no sense WSE. I have a fire extinguisher for the same reason PCA events you must have unless is your first time.

I think Eddie was selling does a while back, but at that time i was going to wait till next season to do does kinds of mods, but i just bit the bullet and got everything. I dont see any club turning me down for having expired anything or the seat is too small or some other nonsense rule they may have.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 AM
zre
4th Gear
I guess I will not be running PCA events. Thank goodness there are a lot of other groups out there you can run with.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 AM
zre
4th Gear
Spoke with HMS today. They stated as long as the seat allows a slot for the anti sub belt you can use the 5 point or 6 point belt. Definitely will have to modify the seat support to allow for the sub belt.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:59 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zre
I guess I will not be running PCA events. Thank goodness there are a lot of other groups out there you can run with.
Don't forget the Tech inspection has to be done but one of there authorized Shop and since you don't have a Porsche they charge like $60

That seat you go doesn't have the sub hole?

Old 07-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by HaveATank
Don't forget the Tech inspection has to be done but one of there authorized Shop and since you don't have a Porsche they charge like $60

That seat you go doesn't have the sub hole?
$60.

The "Porsche" tech shop near me is more like $200

I heard not too long ago that PCA is struggling to fill their HPDEs.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by HaveATank
If there is something i notice from my track days is the need for an LSD. Car feels good in every way, but when it time to accelerate while still turning. it just feels like the car has no pull for a quick second until i put it straight.

Ed was it night and day when you put the LSD. I really don't want to do this until i have to either replace my engine because it went boom or need to do clutch.
The Quaife is a gear type like the MINI LSD they put in the Gen I and early GenII MINIs. It is an improvement over not having it and it pulls much better in turns. Not quite "night/day", though. I see it as a bit of a compromise for a street car that is going to the track. It is unobtrusive on the road, requires no maintenance and works well on the track and for autocross. Now the Quaife is better than the MINI LSD as it allows for a higher percentage of torque to go to the non-slipping wheel. For a fully dedicated track car, I would go with a plate/clutch type LSD. There is a whole NAM thread comparing the Quaife to the plate type. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
$60.

The "Porsche" tech shop near me is more like $200

I heard not too long ago that PCA is struggling to fill their HPDEs.
I'm not talking about dealers lol. Hopefully they take this dumb rule off. A tech inspection can be done by anyone that knows about car and how would a Porsche tech know more about my car then the person which takes car of it (me in my case). It makes no sense to me, But most of the BS rules don't.

Got the rails today going to try to fit it to the side mounts now and see how it works.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:55 PM
HaveATank
4th Gear
Is this th Plate/Clutch LSD type for the R53 or R56. Just in case you don't remember my track car is the R53 and the DD is the R56. Who makes this Plate/clutch LSD?

The Quaife is a gear type like the MINI LSD they put in the Gen I and early GenII MINIs. It is an improvement over not having it and it pulls much better in turns. Not quite "night/day", though. I see it as a bit of a compromise for a street car that is going to the track. It is unobtrusive on the road, requires no maintenance and works well on the track and for autocross. Now the Quaife is better than the MINI LSD as it allows for a higher percentage of torque to go to the non-slipping wheel. For a fully dedicated track car, I would go with a plate/clutch type LSD. There is a whole NAM thread comparing the Quaife to the plate type. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:30 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
oem is plate, and OS Giken and I think cusco makes one

with plate clutches you can specify 1, 1.5 or 2 locking I believe the quaife/mpower/OBX gear type all operate as a "1" type of locking

Old 07-27-2016, 05:53 PM
zre
4th Gear
My seat has the sub hole, since the Schroth Pro works with the stock seats you would need to add a sub hole to use the sub belt. Trying to decide between 5 point or 6 point.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by zre
My seat has the sub hole, since the Schroth Pro works with the stock seats you would need to add a sub hole to use the sub belt. Trying to decide between 5 point or 6 point.
https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/anti-sub-straps (pick the "dual")

This one is compatible with the Quick fit Pro and is sold as a 5 and 6 point.
HMS sells the 5 point, but I thought I saw (but can't re-find ) a post that they indicated the 5 point can cause injury and they recommend the 6 point.

You are probably right about the issue with the stock seat.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mega72
oem is plate, and OS Giken and I think cusco makes one

with plate clutches you can specify 1, 1.5 or 2 locking I believe the quaife/mpower/OBX gear type all operate as a "1" type of locking
Here's a thread that might help:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-learned.html

I know that there is a Giken vs Quaife thread out there but could not find it. Sorry....

And, yes, these will fit both the R53 and the R56.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 AM
zre
4th Gear
I have researched the 5 vs 6. It seems a highly debated issue some say 5 some 6. It appears the 6 is for a more reclined seating position and should have a 4"-5" separation when it goes through the seat or be routed under the driver and exit at rear of seat. www.gforce.com/pdf/Harness_Install_Info.pdf shows installation of harness.

There was an article were a rally co-pilot got injured badly with a 6 point. I guess it is who you talk to about this. Bottom line is either need to be installed properly to be effective.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:51 AM
zre
4th Gear
www.msar.co.uk/pdf/UsersGuideRacingHarness.pdf

Also found these which Schroth recommends the 6 point.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I talked to HMS about different ways to use the 5/6 point strap with the stock seat, but basically they said "no" and dangerous. Need to have the hole in the middle of the seat bottom.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:30 PM
zre
4th Gear
Harness

Ordered 6 point today. Will incorporate into frame support per Schroth instructions

Old 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE

I'm interested in seeing that.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:37 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Anybody thinking about signing up for LRP with SCDA on Monday, August 22nd? It would be nice to have some MINI company in the paddock if I end up going…

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCDA HPDE Schedule