Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Prima Slick, what a great product

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:23 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prima Slick, what a great product

I am sure many already know this but I finally had a chance to lightly clean and detail my car. I tried my new Prima Slick. I washed and dryed and then started spot detailing water spots left over. Eventually I liked its looks/slick feeling so much I did most of the car including the windows. It works GREAT on everything. Its been a few months since my last wax and I think this product between waxings makes it look to have more shine than even after a waxing. Of course, its been a long time since my car has looked this good because of winter.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:31 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, yeah, like, TOTALLY!

And try a little spritz in your Red Bull and Vodka - awesome! (just kidding...)

Slick Rocks!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:34 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Slick does give an incredible shine. Reading your post almost makes me want to go give mine a treatement.

I just washed and used Hydro. Check it out if you haven't tried it. It's got some Slick like properties but also some wax like properties, so it's good for in between waxes. And you can apply it when the car is wet and wipe down.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 AM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Slick + Hydro = Heaven.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Whats hydro used for?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:31 AM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Hydro is an awesome Wax as you Dry product. Check it out at DP. It doesn't have mant customer revies on the site (as last I remember) but it is truly an incredible product.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hydro is one of the easiest to use "spray wax products" that looks great and even helps reduce swirls and fine scratches in your paint.

I did a test to show how effective Hydro is on my Jet Black paint for hiding swirls.

The right side has Hydro, the left side is nothing

See the full writeup here which also shows how effective Amigo is in the same manner.
http://www.showcargarage.com/forums/...ighlight=hydro

Old 02-24-2007, 08:06 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
The ONLY thing that I've noticed about Hydro that bugs me a little - I get white wax buildup around the edges of my clearbra, door edges, etc. No knock on Hydro - after all, it is a wax and that's what was does... but I have to come back later and detail all those edges to get the extra Hydro out. Comes right off, just takes a little extra work than if I had gone naked + Slick...

Speaking of Slick - I think Nick and Heather need to make up some T-shirts in Slick Green with DP logo on the front and "I like it Slick, Baby" on the back...

Old 02-24-2007, 08:15 AM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
The ONLY thing that I've noticed about Hydro that bugs me a little - I get white wax buildup around the edges of my clearbra, door edges, etc. No knock on Hydro - after all, it is a wax and that's what was does... but I have to come back later and detail all those edges to get the extra Hydro out. Comes right off, just takes a little extra work than if I had gone naked + Slick...

Speaking of Slick - I think Nick and Heather need to make up some T-shirts in Slick Green with DP logo on the front and "I like it Slick, Baby" on the back...
I would wear it everywhere.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Prima Car Care
Banned
I'm glad you mentioned this, BlimeyCabrio...

I posted about this the other day, but I think I'll mention it again here.

From the business perspective, I'm a complete idiot for saying this, but I simply can't sit here quietly and let you guys burn through your Hydro so quickly!

It sounds like most of you are probably using more Hydro than necessary. Sure, more can be better to an extent but there comes a point when more is doing nothing other than wasting product. And, as Blimey has noticed, if you use way too much Hydro you can get some residue (which, fortunately, and as he pointed out, comes right off, but why not prevent it instead? ).

When I use Hydro on a wet surface (wax-as-you-dry application), I use 1-2 spritzes per panel, which I admit is a little light. Nick goes a little heavier, closer to 3 or 4 per panel. You can probably go up to 5 spritzes per panel on a wet surface and still get some degree of increasing benefit, but much more than that and you're just wasting product.

When I use Hydro on a dry surface, I use no more than 1, maybe 2, spritzes per panel. Much more than this and you're really wasting product. Remember that it is super-concentrated (that's why it works well with on the wet surface, which dilutes it). Maybe up to 3 spritzes per panel but I wouldn't bother doing much more than that. Again, you'll just go through the product more quickly and could have some residue if you use alot more than that.

Sooo, while I love it that everyone is going through lots of Hydro and has to buy more all the time , you really don't need to! I know, I know, I can just see the "business gods" rolling their eyes at me right now!

Hope that helps though!

-Heather

Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Great idea! We're looking for new t-shirt ideas. We're going to kick this one around and might use it. Thanks for a great and creative idea!!

-Heather

Old 02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Ords
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise
Great idea! We're looking for new t-shirt ideas. We're going to kick this one around and might use it. Thanks for a great and creative idea!!

-Heather
and for that, a nice new monster Fluffy! Those ought to be the "gift" of choice as it appears they're worth their weight in gold.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you buff your car swirl-free with a bar of gold?

Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Of course you can (trade the swirled car and the bar of gold for a brand new car...)

Old 02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Slick question...

today I used Slick while my car was still slightly wet, just like Hydro.

how effective is this? it seemed to work fine.

backstory: terrible rain on Sat. left my spotless car terribly dirty.

today, I didn't have time to do a full hand wash with buckets and wash mitt, etc, so I took it to a power wand wash bay and sprayed it with soap and rinsed with water.

drove home while the car was still wet, and per past experiences knew that there was still a lot of dirt on the car since I hadn't touched it with anything... just the high pressure wash.

The car had dried a bit on the 5-minute ride home, but I spritzed it with Slick and wiped dry with my Monster Fluffies. It seemed to work pretty well, not unlike Hydro, although Hydro feels heavier/waxier as you are wiping it off.

I would have used Hydro, because I know it has some quick detailer like properties, but I wanted to use Slick to make sure the surface had enough lubricity to get off the dirt.

what think ye?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:49 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Sounds like a good idea. We have a wand wash a mile or so away and I never remeber to take my Blade with me. This could be the way to go...

Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcdbrendan
Sounds like a good idea. We have a wand wash a mile or so away and I never remeber to take my Blade with me. This could be the way to go...
I wouldn't blade after using just a wand coin-op sprayer. There are still too many nasties left on after just a spray to use a blade. Unless I do a full two-bucket wash I won't use my blade. Of course you probably already knew this and think I'm just one rant away from being a pain in the rear.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Haha. No way your rants could be a pain in the rear. Yes I did know this, but I usually take my own mit and some ArmorAll powerwash gel with me. Just use the sprayer to knock the mud off the Jeep (I only do this after offroading) then hand wash it then book it home.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:09 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
wow... i have to say... i just went out and looked at the car again... it's still light out, but there's no direct sun on the car... and it looks freakin fantastic.

i've found that my car always looks great in the late afternoon light like this -- the hyper blue is gets very deep and moody looking -- but it looks like I used a polisher on it. the clouds are reflecting in the paint.

I had become enamoured with Hydro, but I have to give Slick some super props. It is incredible stuff. And I love using the Monster Fluffies, too.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise

When I use Hydro on a wet surface (wax-as-you-dry application), I use 1-2 spritzes per panel, which I admit is a little light. Nick goes a little heavier, closer to 3 or 4 per panel. You can probably go up to 5 spritzes per panel on a wet surface and still get some degree of increasing benefit, but much more than that and you're just wasting product.

-Heather

When you use Hydro what are you using to apply it / dry the car? Are you using a large microfiber like a waffle weave or more of something like the monster fluffy? How wet is the car? Freshly washed wet? Or sitting for a while starting to air dry wet?

Thanks,
k

Old 02-26-2007, 03:54 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not Heather, but I use it both ways - freshly wet (bladed off) with the waffle weave, or on a clean dry car with a Monster Fluffy. It depends on what I'm trying to do - if I feel like the wax could use a little boosting, I do it dry. If I'm just trying to shine 'er up after a good wash, I do it wet.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Dream Machines
Neutral
Over here in aussie land, myself and my customers are loving the stuff
I gotta save up and order a few cartons of it.

Just haven't had the dough lately to order some.
before working for myself I had the dough but no time to detail people's cars or do testing of my and your formula
Now I have time and test alot and get 50 per hour with each car I do professionally but work isn't consistent yet and there are more and more new products I need to get for the detailing aspect (Lake country CCS pads etc)

I mixed prima slick with duragloss aquawax recently and really like that during and after drying

Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Ah yes the old Time v Money conundrum. Reminds me of what my rowing coach told me in college, "Bob", he said (though my name is Chuck), "just remember that time is money and money is beer"!
I think the same can be said of detailing products (the money part, not the beer part).

Old 02-27-2007, 06:01 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ords
and for that, a nice new monster Fluffy! Those ought to be the "gift" of choice as it appears they're worth their weight in gold.
Blimey SCORES!!!!!! Name:  rap.gif
Views: 281
Size:  7.3 KB

Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I'm not Heather, but I use it both ways - freshly wet (bladed off) with the waffle weave, or on a clean dry car with a Monster Fluffy. It depends on what I'm trying to do - if I feel like the wax could use a little boosting, I do it dry. If I'm just trying to shine 'er up after a good wash, I do it wet.
Well, she may not be Heather, but she answered just as I would've! (except for the blading part, which is fine in most cases but just not my style)

So, ditto that MLWagner!

The waffle-weave is far superior over other styles of microfiber (including the Monster) in the category of absorption. This is why it's the preferred microfiber for a wet car. Although the Monster would be safe to use and would dry it ok, it just would not perform as quickly and thoroughly as the waffle-weave. Also, it would take numerous Monsters to do the drying work of 1 waffle-weave.

The Monster's weave, density, and pile length is optimized for buffing. Thus, it's one of the preferred choices for removing wax, polish, and quick detail spray. When Hydro is used on a dry surface, you apply/buff it just as you would a traditional quick detail spray (even though it has less cleaners and is more of a spray wax).

-Heather