Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Deep scratches on the door

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:59 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Deep scratches on the door

A car in reverse hit my door with the corner of his bumper.
I have several large and deep scratches.
Since I have the touch-paint kit I have touched the scratches temporarily.
It was not a perfect job and was not in my mind since I was thinking in a paint shop that can remove my work and the do a better job (refill, paint, clearcoat, polish, etc).

But all paint shop are offering paint all the door as the only solution. All say that it is "imposible" to fix deep scratches.
I want to fix this before doing a detailing work on the car.

Anyone agree with this or have any guide to share?
I believe I can remove the paint added and redo the work in a better maner.
Or I'm viewing YouTube too much and I must stop.

Thank you for your advice

Old 11-28-2016, 06:40 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I've done some body work and painting ... even helped teach at a Vocational High School for a bit

I'd do the entire door ... it is the best way to go ...

Old 11-28-2016, 06:57 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I handled automobile insurance claims for 25 years. Painting the whole door is the only option.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
A better touch up job might work for you, agree a respray is much better if done right. Layered on with a tiny brush or toothpick gives a better result, allowing paint to fill the void instead of overlapping the edges. Takes a steady hand. Just did a few on my car and it's fine for me.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:45 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
There is nothing that doesn't make me believe that repaint is not the best solution. Or rather, the perfect solution. Common sense.
I'm just looking for alternatives to repainting ($300 and 2 days on the paint shop)

I'm on the way to:

1) Clean the scratches and remove the old touch-paint job.
2) Do the work as Minnie.the.MoocherMinnie advises.
3) sanded with 2000+ water sandpaper (here is my fear, I have already sanded and it scares me to see the paint totally without shine).
4) Polishing to get shine back.

I know it takes patience and dedication and I am willing to spend days if needed (it is not a 5 minutes job).
I just need to know that the work I'm going to do will not worsen the situation based on your experience.
And I also need advices like the Minnie.the.MoocherMinnie.

Let's discard the repainting.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
let's address some basics

1. if the scratch went down to metal the primer is gone and rust has begun. to fix this properly the rust must be removed or neutralized and the surface resealed/primed

2. The finish is a base/clear system. base is the color component. Alone, base does not shine and is not strong. Base should be thin which means the scratch probably needs filling to get back to a level playing field altho part of this can be done with primer and paint ....

3. After the color comes the clear .... clear is where the 'shine' is.

When you apply typical t/up with a brush you get blobs like you see now. I've successfully used the LANGKA system to deal with blobs but it is best on chips ... scratches are a more difficult one to tackle. Dr Colorchip is another option but it too is not as easy as they suggest when dealing with a scratch.

http://www.langka.com/index.php/2013-01-31-22-20-15

if you are using the MINI touchup kit you are doomed to failure. The paint has the consistency of old glue

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
let's address some basics

1. if the scratch went down to metal the primer is gone and rust has begun. to fix this properly the rust must be removed or neutralized and the surface resealed/primed

2. The finish is a base/clear system. base is the color component. Alone, base does not shine and is not strong. Base should be thin which means the scratch probably needs filling to get back to a level playing field altho part of this can be done with primer and paint ....

3. After the color comes the clear .... clear is where the 'shine' is.

When you apply typical t/up with a brush you get blobs like you see now. I've successfully used the LANGKA system to deal with blobs but it is best on chips ... scratches are a more difficult one to tackle. Dr Colorchip is another option but it too is not as easy as they suggest when dealing with a scratch.

http://www.langka.com/index.php/2013-01-31-22-20-15

if you are using the MINI touchup kit you are doomed to failure. The paint has the consistency of old glue

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Thank you for your advice.
I have the original MINI touch paint and a pen with the color code made for me (red chili 851). I don't remember if it is Glasurit or Basf paint but it is the color code needed and friendly consistency.

I have primer and a clear coat spray (both for painting cars)
It would be a good idea a "soft" layer of clear coat over the area after finishing the job (if looks perfect)?

Old 11-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
shine comes from smooth

clear is typically applied heavy so it can flow and smooth out.

a dust coat of clear is usually a bad idea .... this is why doing a 'blend' on a panel takes skill and it is easier to spray an entire panel (like a door)

one painter's trick when doing a clear blend is to use twice as much reducer in the clear so it flows more, and easier to cause runs ... and you get a much thinner coat ... BUT you can't adjust the mix in a rattle can .... ya need to be mixing your own and using a gun .....

and then there's the issue of surface prep required to get the new clear to stick ..... read the directions FULLY .....

if you wet sand, good luck getting the shine back with hand polishing. It is possible but 'good luck'. You really need a power buffer . . .

this is a job for someone with experience. The first several times I tried this (b4 taking classes) I just made the situation worse ..... which how I ended up taking classes! And then repainting the entire door!!!!

Old 11-28-2016, 04:09 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
shine comes from smooth

clear is typically applied heavy so it can flow and smooth out.

a dust coat of clear is usually a bad idea .... this is why doing a 'blend' on a panel takes skill and it is easier to spray an entire panel (like a door)

one painter's trick when doing a clear blend is to use twice as much reducer in the clear so it flows more, and easier to cause runs ... and you get a much thinner coat ... BUT you can't adjust the mix in a rattle can .... ya need to be mixing your own and using a gun .....

and then there's the issue of surface prep required to get the new clear to stick ..... read the directions FULLY .....

if you wet sand, good luck getting the shine back with hand polishing. It is possible but 'good luck'. You really need a power buffer . . .

this is a job for someone with experience. The first several times I tried this (b4 taking classes) I just made the situation worse ..... which how I ended up taking classes! And then repainting the entire door!!!!
I have a power buffer and all the products for a car detailing job
I f the power buffer is the trick, I believe I can do it.
Or I can do all the work and let the final polish for a detailing shop

Old 11-28-2016, 05:05 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Why he is not using touch-up paint nor wizard putty nor paint leveler and just sanding and polishing is the perfect fix?
It seems the scratch is deeper (primer base reached?)

Then, using the touch-up paint before sanding and a power buffer, the result should be better.
I'm right?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^Wet sanding and polishing is still possible because that scratch is still in the clear coat.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:36 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Go after the guy's insurance, who scratched your car. Your own comprehensive insurance would probably take care of it, if you don't know who scratched your car,

Messing around with touch up paint isn't going to work, you have to spray the whole panel.

Don't cheap out, you won't be happy with it.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
note

OP is not in the US so we don't know what the insurance situation is ....

Old 12-19-2016, 04:27 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Success!

After many cycles on

touch-up layer > cure time > thinner cleans

then a coating layer (pen) and finally

wet sanding 2000 (30 seconds)
wet sanding 3500 (30 seconds)
wet sanding 4000 (30 seconds)

Paint on the door looks perfect, then

compound > cut polish > polish > wax

Final result is awesome, really awesome.

In the day there is no way to see the fix.
I should wait to the night to find the fix by moving a led around the area and find some lines.

Very happy with the results!

I hope everybody can go in this way and get back the good look on the scratches and save money by avoiding a respray

Old 12-19-2016, 05:46 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
It looks good!

I'm glad you got back to us to show us the results

Old 12-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Glad it worked out. For once I was right!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:19 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by miniuy
After many cycles on

touch-up layer > cure time > thinner cleans

then a coating layer (pen) and finally

wet sanding 2000 (30 seconds)
wet sanding 3500 (30 seconds)
wet sanding 4000 (30 seconds)

Paint on the door looks perfect, then

compound > cut polish > polish > wax

Final result is awesome, really awesome.

In the day there is no way to see the fix.
I should wait to the night to find the fix by moving a led around the area and find some lines.

Very happy with the results!

I hope everybody can go in this way and get back the good look on the scratches and save money by avoiding a respray

Looks great, what Clear Coat did you use. I have the infamous Mini Clear Coat pealing on my rear deck, need to sand and respray, what did you use?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:12 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Looks great, what Clear Coat did you use. I have the infamous Mini Clear Coat pealing on my rear deck, need to sand and respray, what did you use?

Thanks to all for the support and to Minnie.the.Moocher and Capt_bj for the comments before the work.

gumbedamit: I was with some areas with clear coat pealing :/

My fix was:

- Wet sanding 2000 (to delete the clear coat edges but avoiding to sand the paint without the clear coat)
- wet sanding 4000 al the area (normal on the clear coat, very soft on the area without clear coat)
- Clean with thinner
- Compund then polish
- 3 thin layers of automotive clear coat (spray)
- Let dry no less than 24 hs (I did use a infrared light)
- wet sanding 4000 the new clear coat and the original clear coat
- Compound > Polish > Wax

Clear coat pealing is gone and not visible at all.

Any compound is OK for this work! (I did use a generic brand) but I suggest a good polish and wax (nu finish, meguiars, turtle, etc)