Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried peanut butter a long while back--white residue returned after a while. Then i scrubbed the arches with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol--again it returned. Finally I waxed all the vinyl trim with ICE and it worked! Still black after a couple months.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Forever Black is great stuff. Goes on easy, doesn't run or fade after rain/washing. Wish I had found that stuff years ago.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
pdflint
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I tried peanut butter this weekend to remove wax residue from last weekend's detailing. With the car was still wet from washing, I scrubbed the areas with a toothbrush loaded with Skippy Creamy (I thought Chunky would be too abrasive). The remaining water on the surface tended to dilute the peanut butter, allowing better flow into crack and crevices.

The results were immediate - no more white marks!!! I washed the affected areas again and then coated everything with Meguiars NXT Tech Protectant. I know its only been a couple of days, but so far, no sign of the wax residue making a return appearance.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Lil' Zip
2nd Gear
I also tried peanut butter a couple of weeks ago. Worked great. But now I am seeing the white come back. Maybe need to rub the peanut butter in more???

Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 PM
rpob5t
2nd Gear
What I've found that covers is up decently is meguiars endurance (their tire dressing product) shines nice and lasts a couple weeks, just go thin with it (too heavy and you'll pick up all kinda of dust).

Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but I found that plexus (plastic polish, usually used to clean motorcycle/helmet face sheilds) works quite nicely you just have to get a good coat on there and buff it pretty good

Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
91% isopropyl alcohol is not fast, but it works well. its the higher usp version sold at drug stores, not traditional strength.

1.89 I think, well worth it. I have not tried peanutbutter yet though. I use 30% carnauba paste from griot, possibly the worst substance to get on your wheel wells. its like white sold stuff on there.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 PM
mini freak
3rd Gear
its just easier to buy the new turtle wax platinum series. then it wont leave white residue and you can wax the molding too!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
this is an odd concept. carnauba waxes that do not leave behind carnauba. it makes me completely doubt their claim of carnauba. At the very least it appears that the natural wax does not stick and gets rubbed away and only the synthetic remains.

there is no way to make real carnauba paste and have it never show up on black rubber. Ever see carnauba in a block? It is white/yellowish and highly opaque, hard and kinda dusty when you hit it.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:18 PM
MiniBEE4Me
2nd Gear
another vote for peanut oil .. worked like a charm!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Dave_in_Va
3rd Gear
would olive oil work???

Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_in_Va
would olive oil work???
Im guessing no, its more the properties of the peanuts over the properties of the oil.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:18 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
Actually yes it does, it was included in my trim testing, and was a little less oily than the peanut oil, so I liked it a bit better.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I had a gal at AMVIV say she was floored by the effect of my trim gel on the MINI. She said she used peanut butter and it lasts a long time, but it's never looked as good as mine.

Jay PM me your address again and I'll send you a little sample.

Richard

Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Considering that the plastic arches and trim are some of the least expensive parts to replace...arches are like $15, long term isn't much of a concern to me.
Arches are only $15? Wow! I've already spent more than $15 on the various products mentioned in this sticky, and they've all disappeared sooner or later.

Are they available at the dealers? Is it difficult to remove them and install new ones?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 PM
OctaneGuy
Yep, any dealer should have them. They are not hard to install. You may need some clips if you've lost or broken the original ones. However, now that I've got my forthcoming "trim gel" coming out, I'd have to suggest you wait a little longer and try my product before opting to replace them, as you may be pleasantly surprised by how good your "old" arches can really look!

Richard

Originally Posted by hugh
Arches are only $15? Wow! I've already spent more than $15 on the various products mentioned in this sticky, and they've all disappeared sooner or later.

Are they available at the dealers? Is it difficult to remove them and install new ones?

Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi OctaneGuy.....my arches in general look great, black and shiny, except just in front of the rear wheels down near where the arch meets the strip along the bottom, on both sides.....that area on each side looks and feels rough, powdery, slightly shredded and all dried out: besides making the trim look black, does your gel restore dried out plastic??

I wonder if I were to replace the arches ( I'm not because it is just those small areas) if the rest of the wrap-around trim all around the car would need to be replaced to match

Old 03-30-2007, 04:05 AM
B&D
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by flyingsluzer
I'm sure anyone who has ever waxed a car has made a smudge onto onto their vinyl or rubber trim, which leaves that annoying white mark. Doh!

I have one spot on my back wheel well that has a such a smudge. I can't seem to scrub it off. I have cleaned it several times with Meguiars Glod Class Vinyl and Rubber cleaner. It looks great for about a week; but the white smudge always comes back.

Anybody know of a way to clean it for good?
I read somewhere that either Klasse AIO or Zaino Z?? would take wax smudges off. I've been trying to decide between Klasse and Zaino for some time and that could break the tie.
Try Eagle One Nano Wax next time - It won't leave any white residue, even if you were to purposely rub it all over your black arches.....

-B

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM
OctaneGuy
That's common to all MINIs--that front part gets pelted by rocks from the front wheels I believe. My gel won't improve the texture but it will restore dried out plastic--that's it's best strength. I use it all the time on cars that have plastic trim (trays) below the windshield--take a look at a Porsche 911 as an example--or any car for that matter--a Honda Civic---after a few years, these turn grey. The gel restores the plastic so it's a deep rich black again and will stay that way.

Check out this 911 I worked on Monday.

Looks a lot better now!

Originally Posted by umberto
Hi OctaneGuy.....my arches in general look great, black and shiny, except just in front of the rear wheels down near where the arch meets the strip along the bottom, on both sides.....that area on each side looks and feels rough, powdery, slightly shredded and all dried out: besides making the trim look black, does your gel restore dried out plastic??

I wonder if I were to replace the arches ( I'm not because it is just those small areas) if the rest of the wrap-around trim all around the car would need to be replaced to match
A wax that doesn't leave residue on your trim shouldn't be the deciding factor of whether you use it. I would prize how it looks, and how it protects, over its ease of use. But then again, with my gel, the white residue is now a non issue no matter what you choose.

Originally Posted by B&D
Try Eagle One Nano Wax next time - It won't leave any white residue, even if you were to purposely rub it all over your black arches.....

-B

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 03-30-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 AM
CruiseControl
4th Gear
...Patiently waiting for Octane Guy's Special Trim Gel to go on the market.

Last edited by CruiseControl; 04-25-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
amorican
4th Gear
Impatiently waiting over here...

TJM

Old 05-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CruiseControl
...Patiently waiting for Octane Guy's Special Trim Gel to go on the market.
I think this is the stuff I bought from him at the Dragon. It seems to work quite well. You can't put too much on, and if you do just sort of buff it out so it doesn't have a sheen to it. So far I've only used it on the trim around the wheels to remove wax. Not sure how it works on other trim on the car.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 PM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Get the "Black WOW"

My first time using a PC on my MINI I got wax on stuff, (even though I taped it off). Rookie mistake, but it was not coming off! I got my shipment of Black WOW and did the entire MINI: Wheel Wells, roof trim, reflectors, and vents below the windscreen. Although I was skeptical of the tiny bottle-the stuff is very concentrated. Look what I had left when all was done!

I agree with the obvious answer-Best not to get in on in the first place!

Last edited by jimmy_racoon; 12-18-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
minjae
6th Gear
two thumbs up for black wow..after doing my trim around the whole car my bottle looked like it wasnt used at all!! well imo..
i had wax ALL over my trim...(i applied wax by hand and started to get tired/lazy..)

BUT using black wow it took the wax residue all off..(i was so anxious to use it i didnt even wash my car yet!!! )
still works like a charm.

thanks octaneguy!!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:34 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VINEGAR

It was suggested to me that I try using a stiff scrubbing brush and white vigegar to remove the wax residue from the wheel moldings.

Has any one tried this? (I entered 'vinegar' in the search engine. No result)

Old 06-09-2007, 09:42 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Vinegar is mostly used for removing hard water spots. I would HIGHLY recommend peanut butter for removing wax from the wheel modlings. Simple, cheap and works perfectly with very little effort.

Quick Reply: Remove Wax residue from Wheel molding