Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

New car...dealer prep steps? Avoid wash?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 PM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New car...dealer prep steps? Avoid wash?

All,
Greetings! Well, this is a post topic which I'm sure has been previously debated, but I'd like some new opinions.
New F56 en route...expected at dealer in early May. Does anyone have recent experience with how you've handled initial delivery, specifically whether you ask for it UN-washed?
I can't even remember what we did five years ago for Mini #1 but I've heard folks say that with the car coming from the factory and the paint being "virgin", having a less than attentive dirty rag wash at the dealer can start you off on the wrong foot with swirls galore.
I'm considering going straight to our local (and very talented) detail center....just not sure what type of protective wraps, etc. come on the new cars anymore and I'm guessing the dealer will still want to at least prep the car by removing transport coverings.
Looking forward to input! Thanks guys and gals.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I suppose it depends on how OCD you are, but I would ask them not to touch it.

Larry of AMMO NYC just did a video on his recommendations regarding a new car. Granted, he's dealing with an LFA in the video, but there's some good tips on how long to let the paint breathe before you wax it, etc.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:04 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MandB
All,
Greetings! Well, this is a post topic which I'm sure has been previously debated, but I'd like some new opinions.
New F56 en route...expected at dealer in early May. Does anyone have recent experience with how you've handled initial delivery, specifically whether you ask for it UN-washed?
I can't even remember what we did five years ago for Mini #1 but I've heard folks say that with the car coming from the factory and the paint being "virgin", having a less than attentive dirty rag wash at the dealer can start you off on the wrong foot with swirls galore.
I'm considering going straight to our local (and very talented) detail center....just not sure what type of protective wraps, etc. come on the new cars anymore and I'm guessing the dealer will still want to at least prep the car by removing transport coverings.
Looking forward to input! Thanks guys and gals.
They would probably have you sign something that says you opted out of a wash because it's on their PDC checklist, but I don't know why they wouldn't. They will still have to peel off the shipping wraps and the other PDC stuff though, just ask them not to wash it.