Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Rock Chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 AM
jeffpinto
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Chips

Hi
I have lot of rock chips on the front of my Mini. They are small but it looks bad because there are a lot of them. I saw an ad for a product called Dr. Color Chip.
Has anyone used this stuff, if so did it work?
Thanks

Old 03-22-2015, 05:35 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
quick search of "colorchip"

produced 24 mentions . . .

good place to start

Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep it works. Depending on what you want the finish to look like.

It's a solid product, covers the spot and blended well on my dark silver.

However, if your front looks like it was peppered by buckshot, you may want to paint the from end.

I think between the original owner and myself my front bumper and hood were painted like 3 times. Lol.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll pass on a tip a body shop man gave me years ago that some people might not know. When using touch up paint don't use the brush that usually comes with the paint but instead use a tooth pick (or something similar). With the tip put paint inside the chipped area but do not let the paint lap over onto good paint. Fill the indent only. After it has dried, do it again. After that has dried buff, polish and wax.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:42 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
I'll pass on a tip a body shop man gave me years ago that some people might not know. When using touch up paint don't use the brush that usually comes with the paint but instead use a tooth pick (or something similar). With the tip put paint inside the chipped area but do not let the paint lap over onto good paint. Fill the indent only. After it has dried, do it again. After that has dried buff, polish and wax.
Flex is great. Wish I had one but I have found that a nice way to fill the gap between my Griots random orbital or a porter cable and he higher end flex or rupes is to use microfiber cutting pads. They cut and finish down pretty well while using the same machine I've had a lot of experience with while not needing to buy a new machine.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
Yes, this works very well indeed! Also buy a small touch up of clear coat. The clear coat also works well with scratches that don't go through to paint layers. Some of the touch up paints now have an applicator instead of a brush.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM
minclips
1st Gear
Depends how many and how huge the damage is. Touch up paint may be effective or a new coat of paint might be more efficient. For touch up paint I always use Langka system from autogeek.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 AM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
I use Langka also. You actually only need the Blob eliminator, which is available on Amazon for 1/2 the price of the full kit (the other bottles in the kit are isopropyl alcohol and sealant. Not worth another $20). I use it with factory touch up paint and I do NOT use the clear. If you use the clear, you will need to wet sand to level.
For me, the process is very time consuming, because I like to fill in the chips with layers, doing a layer each day until I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM
fotomatt1
2nd Gear
I've had great luck on my Chili Red R56 with Dr. Colorchip. I'm lucky that my car is not a daily driver, so I have a lot of time for it to cure before I polish and seal the hood (which is where all MINIS seem to get peppered).

Old 03-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I use Langka too

and practice makes perfect .....

a couple of hints

NEVER apply the t/up paint with the bottle brush ... go to a craft store and get a VERY fine, decent quality paint brush. 00 or smaller. You'll have MUCH better control of the paint. AND get some thinner or 'spirits' .... many times the t/up paint is WAY too thick to apply carefully (esp factory stuff). Put a blob of paint with the bottle brush on a 'pallet' - a glass microscope slide is great but a piece of smooth plastic works too (steal a small makeup mirror from the Mrs) - then add a small drop of thinner to get a more workable product

IME the 'dealer' t/up is crud.. I've used these guys for many years with always a perfect color match and paint that flowed rather than the glop I described above . . .
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index1.htm
(they also make 'paint pens' but I've never had good luck with these .... like a bottle brush they tend to over apply the paint .. and dry out too fast for me)

And I DO apply the clear .... just don't fill color up to the flush level ... leave room for the clear then use the LANGKA. But like I said it takes some practice. The base color is pretty 'soft' - hardness and gloss comes from the clear. ..... OR a trick is to MIX the base color and the clear in about equal amounts ... then thin .. apply ... and use LAN' per instructions