Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Crystal Fusion - Worthwhile or Snake Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:38 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crystal Fusion - Worthwhile or Snake Oil?

Has anybody tried Crystal Fusion glass treatment? I did a search and found a couple of posts discussing other windshield treatments but not this one. We just bought a new Cadillac SRX for my wife and the dealer is selling this treatment for $175. I'm interested to know if anybody has actual experience with the product rather than just opinions. I'm thinking about this for the Caddy and also for my MINI. And yes, I did think about a CM for her but I don't think she is the right kind of driver for a MINI plus my experience with MINI USA customer service regarding the missing voice activation on my 2013 MCS Roadster (discussed on another thread) made me shy away.

http://www.cftproducts.com/

Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
From their web site:
Crystal Fusion™ bonds with glass at the molecular level

Snake oil

Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Autoality
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jhull413
Has anybody tried Crystal Fusion glass treatment? I did a search and found a couple of posts discussing other windshield treatments but not this one. We just bought a new Cadillac SRX for my wife and the dealer is selling this treatment for $175. I'm interested to know if anybody has actual experience with the product rather than just opinions. I'm thinking about this for the Caddy and also for my MINI. And yes, I did think about a CM for her but I don't think she is the right kind of driver for a MINI plus my experience with MINI USA customer service regarding the missing voice activation on my 2013 MCS Roadster (discussed on another thread) made me shy away.

This is one brand I have never heard of. There are a lot of products out there that specialize in selling to dealerships/shops only and this could be one of those brands. It sounds like it is a glass coating. Bonding at the molecular level does occur, but it does with every product.

Plus, $175 sounds on the high side even if they do apply it to every window. A great product to use yourself would be Aquapel which can be bought for $10.

The one thing I noticed on the site is that there is no claim for durability. Just about every glass coating/treatment company will claim how long their coating will last. Granted it will vary based on how much the wiper blades are used, but the fact they don't even make a claim worries me.

I'd call around to some of the detail shops in your area and see how much they are charging to have a glass treatment applied. Regardless of the product, $175 sounds high.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
What's wrong with just waxing your glass? It beads water extremely well, although not durable if you use your wiper blades often, but most products aren't anyways.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Autoality
Former Vendor
There's nothing wring with waxing your glass, but you mentioned in your post why people don't just wax their glass. A product like Aquapel or a dedicated glass coating will last longer than a synthetic wax will. Plus Aquapel is easier to work will...less buffing.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i have been using rain-x since 1975

i buy a new bottle about every 5 years or so, last one was $3.99

i apply it 4x a year

scott

Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like snake oil. Esp given the price.

I'd consider the aquapel and also, use a clay bar on the glass to ensure you've removed as many contaminants as possible before you apply a coating.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
davewestlund
Neutral
Crystal Fusion

I have it on my vehicle. It works much like any other wax treatment, except it isn't supposed to ever wear off or need a reapplication.

Course, you'll have to check back with me in 20 years.

This stuff is supposed to "bond" with the glass. Waxing doesn't really bond to glass (as one post claimed), it just fills in the microscopic rough spots. That's why it wears off eventually.
If this stuff really does bond at a molecular level that would mean the molecules are intertwining.

Then there's the video on their website showing a guy "bouncing" a bullet off the windshield. Not really sure what they are trying to claim there.
Almost anyone can bounce a 22 short off a windshield.

>Update 8-3-13:
Well, there it goes. It's starting to wear off in the bottom left corner of the passenger wiper travel. I've had it for only three months now.
I just learned from Toyota (installer) that I was supposed to fill out a form and eventually get a spray bottle for touch ups.

Last edited by davewestlund; 08-03-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't recommend waxing your glass, at least with the wrong type of glass. My last windshield had a lot of micro pits in them from all the sand and debris. After waxing it, when the sunlight hits it a certain way, it's almost blinding. I've heard great things about Aquapel though.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM
AIEG
Neutral
Originally Posted by davewestlund
I have it on my vehicle. It works much like any other wax treatment, except it isn't supposed to ever wear off or need a reapplication.

Course, you'll have to check back with me in 20 years.

This stuff is supposed to "bond" with the glass. Waxing doesn't really bond to glass (as one post claimed), it just fills in the microscopic rough spots. That's why it wears off eventually.
If this stuff really does bond at a molecular level that would mean the molecules are intertwining.

Then there's the video on their website showing a guy "bouncing" a bullet off the windshield. Not really sure what they are trying to claim there.
Almost anyone can bounce a 22 short off a windshield.

>Update 8-3-13:
Well, there it goes. It's starting to wear off in the bottom left corner of the passenger wiper travel. I've had it for only three months now.
I just learned from Toyota (installer) that I was supposed to fill out a form and eventually get a spray bottle for touch ups.
I just bought my car in June 2013. Since then it seems that anything that touches the windshield cracks it. However the contract I purchased contains a 5 year replacement warranty. I called crystal fusion and they were easy to work with and have me lined out for a new windshield within 48 hours of calling. I did find that you have to notify them within 24 hours of the chip or break or warranty is void. So it seems that the product is not very reliable but the company does stand behind it. I hope they don't mind buying me a new windshield every couple of months. By the way, you are required to have the crystal fusion reapplied onto the new windshield at their expense. But the 5 year replacement warranty starts over.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Sunflwrgirl
Neutral
This is good to know since we just bought our car a week ago and purchased the extra inside and outside warranty as well.. So did they give you a box kit of the "Resistal" also?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:00 PM
vrsurplus
Neutral
Crystal Fusion

I work for a dealership for the past 13 years. This is a newer product that is sold privately just to auto dealers.

The product is applied at the dealership. We apply this on all our new vehicles and some of our used FREE of charge to the customer.

It does work! And is backed by Crystal Fusion and should be (I state, should be.) backed by the dealership as well.

There are other street products out there that you can use like a few have mentioned in here that work. However, they do not back their product up and do not offer you repairs on your windshield. Actually, this is the only company that does.

You insurance company will with a deductible. But your Warranty and extended warranty do not cover normal wear and tear items nor windows.

They also ask that a customer comes in once or twice a year to have them put another coat on. So, if you live a long distance from this dealership, I would not buy into it. But if you are close. IT MAY be worth your $175 investment. (One Time I Hope).

Here are some video's on the product https://www.google.com/#q=Crystal+Fusion&tbm=vid

This product should be good for 5 years. The break down on this is $2.92 a month. Is it worth that to you?

Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:16 PM
cebopeep
Neutral
Snake oil...but get a free windshiled!

I have it on my Ford Escape because it came as part of a warranty package. I have had my Escape for less than 5 years. I feel like it actually made my windows slightly more hazy when it rained after application. I also don't think it really helped prevent any chips or cracks....but the good news is that if you get a chip or crack they will arrange to have it repaired or replaced at no charge to you!
I travel on an interstate every day to get to and from work. I have had 2 windshields replaced already and will have my 3rd shortly (it cracked yesterday).
The down side....If you get your windshield replaced, they require that you have the crystal fusion re-applied to the new windshield (they will not pre apply before installation) within 72 hours or it may void the warranty. Usually only dealerships are authorized to apply it, so you are at the mercy of their shop hours and schedule...and hope you can get an appointment within 72 hours.
In all, mine has paid for itself because of the warranty and windshield replacement. If you get chips and cracks in your windshield often or travel on interstates a lot it may be worth it.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
welcome first time post person

HINT

you have resurrected a thread where the most recent post b4 yours is nearly 2 years old. It is GREAT that you are reading the old stuff. I wish more newbies would ..... but you might want to check age before you respond.....

and a couple of comments

1) Auto Glass is typically covered under a non-collision part of auto insurance ... some companies call out glass to a separate 'rider', for me it is called 'comprehensive'. At one time I carried a $250 deductible on 'comp' and paid that deductable for a couple of windshield replacements. THEN I asked what the cost would be to change my comp' deduct' to ZERO (I had 4 cars at the time). It cost me about $20 a year more . . . . TOTAL. Every policy and insurance company are different but IMO, it is worth asking.

2) SOME STATE'S insurance laws prohibit auto insurance from charging a deductible on covered safety items. Confusing? EXAMPLE: in Florida, if you have insurance that covers front glass, then your insurance must cover repair/replacement as required 100% no matter what your deductible is. So for me (now that I live in FL) no matter what my comp' deduct' IS, if my front glass breaks my insurance must pay 100%.

3) looking at their web page I see no warranty information and nothing about their covering glass replacement ..... I wonder if they are still in business?

Last edited by Capt_bj; 04-23-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:26 PM
dmuhs
Neutral
Crystal Fusion

This product is a sham.
I did have this product placed on my windshield when I bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I only drive on highways and I have had multiple chips in my windshield.
The company, and part of the reason I had it applied, guaranteed the product by saying they would replace the window if chips occurred.
When I tried to make a claim on the multiple chips they advised me, per the contract, that all claims had to be made within twenty four hours of the damage.
In other words, their hope is to never have to fulfill a claim on their product.
It would be highly unlikely that a large majority of claims would be made within twenty four hours.
If they had said one week, I could understand.
Summary.
The product does not work.
Secondly, the company does not intend to back up their guarantees on the product.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:46 PM
linjay2011
Neutral
Crystal fusion :)

So I had this applied to my 2014 chevy malibu, it cost me $675 dollars at my dealer, it has a 5 year warranty that warrants the price only because under that warranty I've already had three new windshields, which is basicly what I paid for the crystal fusion to be applied.
The warranty does cover cracks, and they will pay to fill the crack or in my case it was in my line of site so they had to replace the whole window at no cost to me
They do send a maintenance packet to reapply the crystal fusion which is helpfull for when it does fade and it will!!!!
Now the bad part they say that it will defend against cracks,pits, blemishes, basicly anything minor the ros will throw at you, this is false as looking at my newest windshield that is 6 months of age it looks like **** it is noticeable inside and out, but he'll I'm on windshield number 4 so its paid for and I still have 4 years of warranty left so it worked for me,but not in the way it was intended:(

Old 03-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Darin Malark
Originally Posted by jhull413

I bought a 2020 Silverado. Had crystal fusion put on. Drove it 1000 miles on a trip and the first rock kicked up from an 18 wheelers tire put a quarter sized chip in the middle of my newly protected windshield. Called in a warranty claim and safelite replaced the windshield no charge. I would only consider the product if it includes free replacement because it would not prevent it from breaking. Water sheets off well but that can be done with many cheaper products.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:46 AM
Andre Boc
This a BS claim ... nothing bonds to glass at the molecular level.

Anything that is apply to glass is a film foil. The difference is at microscopic level where micro cavities are flooded and crate bound through vacuum forces. (Negative pressure difference ) "complicated I guess"

Anyhow any and I mean ANY applied coating on windshields will be subject to blade friction erosion. No exceptions.

The difference is dealing with this friction that makes the real difference from product to product.
The second issue will be transparency ,reflection and refraction, tha will influence the visibility after product is apply.

Come on People ... you're smarter than this BS junk science.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:26 AM
stacie
Neutral
Not worth it!

This was applied to my VW before buying . First morning in the rain and dark . It causes a haze and the wiper blades skip going both directions . It’s great if you don’t want to use your wipers.