MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > MINIs in General > Detailing 101
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Clean Stripes

I need a little help. I have sport stripes on my mini and they have a bunch of dirty brown spots on them that didnt come off after a wash. I dont want to completly ruin them by using diffrent cleaning products. Is there even a way to clean them up or are they pretty much shot?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I would try cleaning them really well with soapy water, and a light rubbing compound (don't rub too hard). It might bring up the original luster of the decal.

2008 Pepper White MCS
PAS tuned: 207hp/266 ft/lbs. (Mustang Dyno)
Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I use a non abrasive polish on mine. Not a wax or cleaner though.

2008 Pepper White "Pearl" and 2012 Chili Red "Baron". Owning two Mini's is twice as much fun.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OctaneGuy Send a message via Yahoo to OctaneGuy Send a message via Skype™ to OctaneGuy
Gallery
Garage
What color are the stripes? White stripes stain very easily. You can keep them looking new by waxing them which offers some protection, but once they are stained, it's pretty hard to fix them. Sometimes a light buffing can improve them. Look at these stripes...look at the edges...they were covered in tape while I buffed them..after removing the tape, you can see how dirty they unpolished stripes were.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see the blue tape along the edges here
Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI-Joe View Post
I need a little help. I have sport stripes on my mini and they have a bunch of dirty brown spots on them that didnt come off after a wash. I dont want to completly ruin them by using diffrent cleaning products. Is there even a way to clean them up or are they pretty much shot?

Looking for Prima?? Buy Prima at ShowCarSupplies.com
11% off everyday discount code: MINI11NAM
2010 Midnight Black MCCSa
Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
They are white stripes. I used some polish on them and got most of it off. Theres a few stains that didnt want to come off but it looks better than before. Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Mine were looking pretty awful after 9 months of winter + no garage...

I used some wheel cleaner on a rag and was surprised at how well it cleaned them up. I was hesitant to give this a try, but would have replaced them anyway if it didn't work.

If you do this, I'd recommend waxing over them ASAP. I did not and they are more prone to spotting now than they were before.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
I realize this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I thought I would post another good way to clean stripes. I have white stripes and they were pretty grayed and spotty. I used Meguiar's PlastX plastic cleaner on mine and it worked great! After I cleaned them I waxed the bonnet and the stripes. It really worked good, they look like new. I thought I was going to have to replace them, but not now.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
I had the same problem with my last MINI that had white stripes. I tried EVERYTHING, and finally found the solution. Simple Green. I got a spray bottle of Simple Green and covered the stripes and left it for a minute. Came back with a microfiber and with a little elbowgrease the stains came out and it looked brand new! Same thing applied to the white checkerboard sunroof vinyl.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM